998cc

r/h tank breather exits boot with fuel pipe
l/h tank breather exits boot with battery cable

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:43 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Domsmith wrote:
Hi guys
quick question. I have been looking at a Mk2 cooper s. Looks ok, but some small issues and looking for any advice about that.
First, there seem to be only 2 tabs for the fuel breather hoses (where the blue arrows are in the photos). Maybe there is a third one up on the parcel shelf, but i did not see it. Should there always be a third one? and should the 2 outside ones be in the position where the blue arrows are? in photos of other cars they seemed to be in the position where the red arrows are.
Also there are only 2 supports for the boot board. There are 2 holes where the third support should be - indicating that it would be riveted, is that right?
Any advice would be most gratefully received - these days making an incorrect purchase decision can cost a lot :-(

I agree that the parcel shelf tabs do appear to be wider apart than usual. I don't have many photos of the centre breather tab because they are usually hidden under the sound deadner. They may have changed locations over the years as well. Someone on here should have a MK2S without any sound deadner and could take some photos for you. Here is a photo anyway but I think its a MK1 S.
Attachment:
Rear parcel shelf centre tab.jpg

There should be 4 holes all up for the boot board bracket. 2 at the rear and 2 on the floor a couple of inches towards the front of the car. Yes they are pop riveted. See if you can get some better photos. Even from underneath. Maybe the bracket was lost and the holes filled in when the boot was resprayed.

I suggest you start a new post asking for photos of boot tabs. That way your question is not hidden away in another post.

Also the seller of that car is on this forum. jayrrrr is his name. Try and PM him for more info or photos. Or he may join in on the conversation.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:26 pm 
848cc
848cc

gtogreen1969 wrote:
Domsmith wrote:
Hi guys
quick question. I have been looking at a Mk2 cooper s. Looks ok, but some small issues and looking for any advice about that.
First, there seem to be only 2 tabs for the fuel breather hoses (where the blue arrows are in the photos). Maybe there is a third one up on the parcel shelf, but i did not see it. Should there always be a third one? and should the 2 outside ones be in the position where the blue arrows are? in photos of other cars they seemed to be in the position where the red arrows are.
Also there are only 2 supports for the boot board. There are 2 holes where the third support should be - indicating that it would be riveted, is that right?
Any advice would be most gratefully received - these days making an incorrect purchase decision can cost a lot :-(

I agree that the parcel shelf tabs do appear to be wider apart than usual. I don't have many photos of the centre breather tab because they are usually hidden under the sound deadner. They may have changed locations over the years as well. Someone on here should have a MK2S without any sound deadner and could take some photos for you. Here is a photo anyway but I think its a MK1 S.
Attachment:
Rear parcel shelf centre tab.jpg

There should be 4 holes all up for the boot board bracket. 2 at the rear and 2 on the floor a couple of inches towards the front of the car. Yes they are pop riveted. See if you can get some better photos. Even from underneath. Maybe the bracket was lost and the holes filled in when the boot was resprayed.

I suggest you start a new post asking for photos of boot tabs. That way your question is not hidden away in another post.

Also the seller of that car is on this forum. jayrrrr is his name. Try and PM him for more info or photos. Or he may join in on the conversation.

Thank you so much for that, great info and really appreciated. I will also take your advice on asking the seller for more info,

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:27 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Domsmith wrote:
Hi guys

Below are boot photos for a MK II S showing the position of the three tabs under the front edge of the parcel shelf (two outers bent down in the photos), and two tabs each side of the rear seat brace for the tank breather tubes (tubes bypass the bottom tabs in the photos). These are all attached by a single spot weld.

Also the two outer and one inner boot board support brackets (minus their buffer and securing rubbers). Note their location relative to the boot hinges.

Suggest you check the position of all these and the presence of a single spot weld (tabs) and pop-rivet (brackets) on the car you are inspecting. Remove the rear seat to compare the seat brace tab spot-welds from inside.

Attachment:
Cooper S Boot LHS.jpg
Attachment:
Cooper S Boot Centre.jpg
Attachment:
Cooper S Boot RHS.jpg
Attachment:
Cooper S Boot Board Fasteners.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:32 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

While you have the rear seat upright out check to see the right hand tank brackets are correct. They should be two flat straps painted satin black with a threaded stud welded to either end of each.

Attachment:
Right Hand Tank Brackets.jpg

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:22 pm 
848cc
848cc

Wow, that is great! thank you for the very clear photos and guidance. Good tip on checking the single spot welds with the seat out. Once again, really appreciate all the help!

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:52 pm 
848cc
848cc

Great photos.

Has anyone got similar boot photos to confirm the layout of the early Mk 1 S with the vent pipe clips rather than the spot welded tabs

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:24 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Tomtax wrote:
Great photos.

Has anyone got similar boot photos to confirm the layout of the early Mk 1 S with the vent pipe clips rather than the spot welded tabs

Thanks

I have this?

Attachment:
Fuel vent pipe clips on freddos car.jpg

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:33 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Domsmith wrote:
Wow, that is great! thank you for the very clear photos and guidance. Good tip on checking the single spot welds with the seat out. Once again, really appreciate all the help!

Just to be fair and discount a factory stuff up I have looked through all the boot photos I have.

I came across one other instance of the parcel shelf tabs being located towards the outside.

This is a photo from Modaddies build. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=87790

Attachment:
Modaddie boot.jpg

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:56 pm 
848cc
848cc

Quote:
Just to be fair and discount a factory stuff up I have looked through all the boot photos I have.

I came across one other instance of the parcel shelf tabs being located towards the outside.

This is a photo from Modaddies build. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=87790

Attachment:
Modaddie boot.jpg

interesting! thanks very much for that and thanks for taking the time to look through all the photos!