Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:10 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:35 am 
848cc
848cc

G'day,

Fitting up the new CV joints to the drive shafts and have a question regarding applying grease to the inside of the rubber boot prior to assembly.

In the original workshop manual (page attached and point 23) it says to smear the inside of the boot with grease. Later on, the manual also says the same thing about the boot at the uni joint end, although this boot will get grease on it anyway when you slide the uni joint down to squeeze excess grease out of it.

Is this something that is still the go? In a later Scientific Publications manual, there's no mention of smearing the inside of the boot.

Thanks, Rocky

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:55 am 
1275cc
1275cc

The way I read (23), smearing grease on the inside of the boot is just to help it slip over the drive shaft splines. Slide the boot further along the shaft than it will be when fully assembled, to keep it out of the way while you knock the drive shaft, with its wire circlip in the groove near the end of the splines into the CV joint.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 12:13 pm 
848cc
848cc

Just had to get the large clamp replaced on my CV JOINT recently and was told not to put grease in the boot, only the joint.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 12:52 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks Bill and Stibbsy. I couldn't work out why you'd need a smear of grease on the inside of the boot. Just a bit to help slide over the spline makes sense.

Rocky

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 1:16 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Stibbsy wrote:
Just had to get the large clamp replaced on my CV JOINT recently and was told not to put grease in the boot, only the joint.

I think it's talking about the smaller end of the boot, it makes sense not to lubricate the larger end as you want it to grip to the outside of the cv joints so they don't come off.