Ausmini
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:45 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Engine bay firewall mat
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:26 pm 
848cc
848cc

Has anybody come across CBL BL Australian made black vinyl ?

I believe there was two different types of vinyl used on the firewall mats. Course grain vinyl used on the Mk 1 Cooper S and a fine or very fine grain vinyl used in the Mk 2 Cooper S. (Australian) not sure about the GT.

CBL BL seems to be a very close match to the Mk 2 firewall mat vinyl from the small sample I've seen. At this stage I don't have a manufacturer's name but I understand it is made in Australia and is still available. ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:17 pm 
848cc
848cc

HI Pete,
This is a picture of my 1969 MK2 S firewall insulator, if you can pass on any more info regarding the manufacturer of the similar material, I would be happy to check it out. When I replaced this one I used the coarse grained reproduction version and removed the backing and replaced with insulation more like the original but if I could get one in the fine grain I would.
regards Gavin

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:35 pm 
848cc
848cc

An interesting thread, I am looking for the coarse grain black vinyl that was fitted to the mk1 Cooper S engine bay. Has anyone got a picture of this vinyl and the backing that was used. How is the mat attached to the firewall generally? Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:49 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi Ian

I think the photo that Gavin has posted of his firewall mat is the course grain material which looks to be very original.

I was shown some more vinyl material over the weekend which looked very close to the fine grain vinyl also used. I believe it was called pin hole vinyl ? which was used in English mini's.

The firewall mat just sits in place without being glued. It's has a thickness of about 12 to 15mm.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:47 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks for that infomation Firefly, much appreciated

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:00 am 
848cc
848cc

Material used was sometimes referred to as 'pin drop'. It was used on the earlier cars, as well as the firewall, was used on boot boards, dash parcel shelf and the (inner) pockets of the doors bins (glued to the rounded section of the pocket adjacent to the seat). The formed / folded section of the door pocket incorporated fibre board combined with the vinyl of the same grain as the interior seats / door cards - different to the pin drop.

'Pin drop' can be sourced from upholsterers - categorised under boat tonneau materials - it will have a heavier cotton backing, however minus the insulator. May not come in the colour we need, but can be vinyl sprayed.

The later type is coarse grained as commonly sourced these days and was introduced I feel into the early '68 period. This material too, shared the use of the areas described above in the general changeover. F

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:29 am 
848cc
848cc

Cheer's Hinesy1275

Thanks for putting me straight on the correct name of the vinyl. I'll research some more.
The colour of the fine grain vinyl almost looks as if it could have been charcoal in colour? and not so much as a black?

Interesting that my boot board is original along with what's left of the firewall mat but the boot board is the course grain and the firewall mat is the fine grain.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:38 pm 
998cc
998cc

Hinesy1275 wrote:
Material used was sometimes referred to as 'pin drop'. It was used on the earlier cars, as well as the firewall, was used on boot boards, dash parcel shelf and the (inner) pockets of the doors bins (glued to the rounded section of the pocket adjacent to the seat). The formed / folded section of the door pocket incorporated fibre board combined with the vinyl of the same grain as the interior seats / door cards - different to the pin drop.

'Pin drop' can be sourced from upholsterers - categorised under boat tonneau materials - it will have a heavier cotton backing, however minus the insulator. May not come in the colour we need, but can be vinyl sprayed.

The later type is coarse grained as commonly sourced these days and was introduced I feel into the early '68 period. This material too, shared the use of the areas described above in the general changeover. F

I always thought the vinyl material with the thin layer of underfelt attached was known as "Hardura". Hardura is still available today but not in a wide range of colours. 850 door liners, dash mats and firewall mats were all made of this material. The Mk1 Cooper S firewall mat was a dark grey Hardura material.
https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/category/127/hardura

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:11 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

There was a long discussion on this topic. I posted pics of the mat in my MK II S.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93337

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:42 pm 
848cc
848cc

wild_willy wrote:
Hinesy1275 wrote:

I always thought the vinyl material with the thin layer of underfelt attached was known as "Hardura". Hardura is still available today but not in a wide range of colours. 850 door liners, dash mats and firewall mats were all made of this material. The Mk1 Cooper S firewall mat was a dark grey Hardura material.
https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/category/127/hardura

Agree - I think Firefirey may have looking for the earlier type 'pin drop'? Which I find is not in vast supply within the Hardura range? Happy to be corrected.

F

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:55 pm 
848cc
848cc

Correct and correct :)