Ausmini
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:46 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:25 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I have a late 68 Cooper S so it has the single speed self parking round body wiper motor and the later wipers that sweep to the right.

Wiring diagram says wiper wires are
Black
Green
Black/Green (edited/corrected)

But mine is
Black
Green
Red/light green.

Mine looks original. Can someone with original look on a late Mk1 confirm please.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:11 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

phillb wrote:
I have a late 68 Cooper S so it has the single speed self parking round body wiper motor and the later wipers that sweep to the right.

Black
Green

But mine is
Black
Green
Red/light green.

Mine looks original. Can someone with original look on a late Mk1 confirm please.

Thanks

Dec 1968 Build has this

Attachment:
Wiper Wiring.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:16 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Ah ha!!

Thanks. Thought so.

Doesn’t show that way on any wiring diagrams in the comprehensive workshop manual.

Edit : actually my black has a green trace but hard to see so mine is same ...so correct.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:33 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

phillb wrote:
Ah ha!!

Thanks. Thought so.

Doesn’t show that way on any wiring diagrams in the comprehensive workshop manual.

Edit : actually my black has a green trace but hard to see so mine is same ...so correct.

I made up a list of the 4 styles of 12AUW wiring using multiple wiring diagrams and photos of actual vehicle wiring looms.

Attachment:
12AUW Wiring Diagram - All models.jpg

TP832C mentions a Green / Yellow wire on the wiring diagram for the MK2 range but I have only found a Red / Light Green for the same wire on actual cars.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by gtogreen1969 on Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:33 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Here is the Wiper Switch Wiring to match the Wiper Motor Wiring on my old car. Phill can you confirm that yours is like this or is the Black/Light Green swapped over with the Red/Light Green?

Attachment:
switch panel - wiper switch wiring.jpg

Attachment:
Wiper Wiring.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:54 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

gtogreen1969 wrote:
phillb wrote:

Black
Green

But mine is
Black
Green
Red/light green.

Thanks

Dec 1968 Build has this

Attachment:
Wiper Wiring.jpg
I’m tiding up my entire front loom so I may have a few more questions. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:00 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

gtogreen1969 wrote:
Here is the Wiper Switch Wiring to match the Wiper Motor Wiring on my old car. Phill can you confirm that yours is like this or is the Black/Light Green swapped over with the Red/Light Green?

Attachment:

Attachment:
Wiper Wiring.jpg
Yes both ends of mine were connected like in your photos.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:49 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

phillb wrote:
gtogreen1969 wrote:

Attachment:

Attachment:
Wiper Wiring.jpg
Yes both ends of mine were connected like in your photos.

Thanks mate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:37 pm 
998cc
998cc

My late 68 build Mk1 S has the same wiring colours as gtogreen1969.
The only wiring diagram that I have found that has the correct wire colours is the diagram in the Dark Blue workshop manual TP832, page n24, which is the wiring diagram for MINI 1100 SALOON AND VAN (LATE MODELS)
The Cooper S (generator charging system) wiring diagram on page n18 is for the earlier UK square bodied wiper motor which doesn't have the regenerative braking park function.
This uses a different wiper switch to the OZ round body motor.
When my car was new it kept blowing fuses whenever the wipers were turned on. The car had the wrong earlier type switch for the UK motor instead of the correct switch for the OZ motor
The green wire supplies 12 V to the motor at all times when the ignition is turned on, via a terminal on the instrument voltage regulator. (The instrument voltage regulator 12V is taken from the same wire)
The Black wire with Green trace and the Red wire with Green trace are the two connections to the wiper switch. When the wiper switch is in the Off position the switch connects the two wires together and shorts the motor armature to provide the motor regenerative braking wiper parking function. (The contact ring on the wiper drive mechanism is also involved here)
When the switch is in the On position, the Reg/green wire is connected to earth by the Black wire to complete the circuit - motor to switch to earth.
The Green/black wire is the return for the regenerative braking - switch back to motor.
The wiper switch black wire goes to a body earth point.

Edit: Corrected the wrong wire functions as I was thinking of the two speed motor instead of the single speed motor. The two speed motor has a fourth wire for the second speed and has a different wiper switch.
Added a bit more info about the wiper switch being wrong when the car was new.
(3rd time lucky?)

I hope this helps

RonR