Ausmini
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Decisions decisions
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:50 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi all,
I’m still a few months away from getting the 1970 Mk2 into the panel shop ( busy restoration shop) so I’ve been tasked with hand paint stripping the panels and the shell on the rotisserie with the aim (hope??) that the sandblasting will be more gentle on the body when we get it done. It’s all coming off pretty well and the sealants and underbody undersealer (omg the amount of undersealer......) are allowing me to appreciate how good this car is. I will ask some more questions in another message about the ex police holes that I have found. Some line up with known information but some don’t. Interestinger and interestinger.

But that’s not the question for this message. I would like to hear your opinion please. It’s an original Mk2 CS with the correct mechanicals, running gear and interior. Originally Crystal White all over. As I am stripping the car back to bare steel I’m wondering whether or not to keep it Crystal White. I’ve got nothing against this colour but I am wondering/thinking about going another colour from 1970. This is all subjective and people love their own colour scheme but I am wondering if I will be making a mistake by not going back to Crystal White. There’s so many nice colours in that year and because I am totally bare shell respray I have all the options like going in and ordering the colour of my choice. There’s no paint decal on the MK2s
Thoughts anyone?
Neil

Post subject: Re: Decisions decisions
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:12 pm 
848cc
848cc

Neil.
You have the opportunity to have exactly the colour that suits you and your Mini.
Go for it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:09 pm 
998cc
998cc

make sure you use epoxy 2 pack primer No etch primer, also top coat 2 pack cplour. No fish oil only cavity wax .Under body use stone guard colour over the top.Get the panel beater to look closely at all the panel gaps they can be improved without much effort .I have done my share of panel fits.Also when you fit the car up make SURE you use the correct rubbers so everything fits well. The colour I use is Jet Red they go faster.
Allen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:19 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I am all for keeping true to the way a car was originally built. Especially for rare and sort after models.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:38 am 
1098cc
1098cc

Mate it depends on what you want. If your keen to resell in future then money wise its probably best to keep it crystal white. If you plan on keeping and enjoying it yourself then do what you like it is yours to enjoy.

1975 leyland

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:30 am 
1275cc
1275cc

carter wrote:
Mate it depends on what you want. If your keen to resell in future then money wise its probably best to keep it crystal white. If you plan on keeping and enjoying it yourself then do what you like it is yours to enjoy.

Agree very much with carter's and gtogreen's comments.
Was talking to a classic car collector a few days ago who's now looking for an S. He found a good one but it was painted in a non standard colour so he refused to pay the asking price.

I also have a Crystal White SPO S. Also in the middle of repainting it - Crystal White of course!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:41 am 
848cc
848cc

Bill B wrote:
carter wrote:

Was talking to a classic car collector a few days ago who's now looking for an S. He found a good one but it was painted in a non standard colour so he refused to pay the asking price.

I also have a Crystal White SPO S. Also in the middle of repainting it - Crystal White of course!

Neil,
Agree with Bill B, I have owned a 69 Crystal White S since 1978, it was an absolute mess when purchased. Painted it BRG with a white roof in the 1980s. It did have a paint sticker listing Crystal White, returned to Crystal White in 1995. Bought another one in 2018, to be painted Jet Red with Crystal White roof.
In the end it's your car, enjoy it.

1963 Triumph Spitfire
1982 RX-7 Series 2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:47 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Neil - you have the advantage of owning a Mini model produced at a time when the only evidence of the the original paint colour was a paint sticker on the firewall. Up until 1968 the Oz Minis had an ID plate where the body colour(s) was clearly stated so spraying a different colour would be obvious and possibly detract from a later sale price if it was desirable model like a Cooper or Cooper S. In your case you could choose a BMC colour from the 1970 period and no-one would be the wiser, unless sales documentation or other proof to the contrary was available.

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:16 pm 
848cc
848cc

One other thought. Neil suggested that the car may have some holes suggesting ex Police Service. If most/all ex Police cars were monotone, this maybe a consideration

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:21 pm 
848cc
848cc

haze blue 850 wrote:
Neil.
You have the opportunity to have exactly the colour that suits you and your Mini.
Go for it.
I’m looking at the options and keeping the mind open. I like the white but...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:34 pm 
848cc
848cc

p7676 wrote:
make sure you use epoxy 2 pack primer No etch primer, also top coat 2 pack cplour. No fish oil only cavity wax .Under body use stone guard colour over the top.Get the panel beater to look closely at all the panel gaps they can be improved without much effort .I have done my share of panel fits.Also when you fit the car up make SURE you use the correct rubbers so everything fits well. The colour I use is Jet Red they go faster.
Allen
Thanks for your advice Allen. The plan is for me to hand strip inside and out. Seams, paint, undersealer (did I mention all the undersealer yet....) then I coat it with phosphoric acid (rust converter) to seal the panels while waiting to get into the shop (look up Rides Custom Shop on Facebook if you wanna see where it’s going) then gentle full sand blast (I’m always nervous) then two pack epoxy then repairs, regal then reseal, retar and repainted with two pack then tectyl everything and reassemble. Sounds easy doesn’t it LOL.
Yes, red ones do go faster...
Neil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:37 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

pdpsing wrote:
If most/all ex Police cars were monotone, this may be a consideration.

Good point.

I'm not aware of any duotone Cooper S being used by NSW Police so that is obviously a consideration for originality.

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:48 pm 
848cc
848cc

Bill B wrote:
carter wrote:

This is my dilemma. I’m okay with Crystal White but there’s other paint options from the same year. The car has already had a major restoration in the past by Ron Williams. The body has virtually no rust. True, yet to be sand blasted but I’m back to bare metal over 90% of it so far and only a tiny bit so far. The floor still has the original paint under it. My plan is to drive it and have fun with it and my kids will end up fighting over it when I go. I appreciate everyone’s feedback and advice
Neil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:49 pm 
848cc
848cc

winabbey wrote:
pdpsing wrote:
If most/all ex Police cars were monotone, this may be a consideration.

Good point.

I'm not aware of any duotone Cooper S being used by NSW Police so that is obviously a consideration for originality.
Yes, good point indeed. I will have to keep scratching my head...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:29 pm 
998cc
998cc

Dont use phosphoric acid to seal the panels . After the panels are stripped wipe them with a rag and a fine oil, even wd will last a fair while
All seams are to be sealed with urethane eg sika You also need a sand blaster that knows how to blast cars.He will use the correct medium.
Allen