Ausmini
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:38 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Mini Towing weights
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:26 pm 
848cc
848cc

First time I have ever seen anything in writing and more importantly in a BMC publication regarding the Towing Capacity of a Mini.

In the Leyland Mini SS Owners instructional Manual Supplement on page 4 they list the Maximum Towing Weight as 400kg and Hitch Load as 30-50 kg.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Mini Towing weights
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:28 am 
848cc
848cc

When I purchased my Cooper back in 1963 I fitted a tow bar from Grants on the Princes Hwy, Carlton, Sydney. It really was a rubbish one, but by the time it got put in place it would have just about torn the back out of the car instead of just pulling through the boot floor.

It was use to tow a 12 foot Dehaviland alum boat with a 6 HP Mercury motor on the back with necessary bits also in the boat, trailer was a mini rear sub frame with 2 inch pipe u bolted in place. Mostly used ramps at Sylvania Waters, Hawksbury River and The Entrance which was a natural dirt ramp opposite The Pines caravan Park. Never had a problem with getting in or out of the ramps and the car towed very well, usually was packed with holiday gear and what did not fit in the car went in the boat. Probably a good thing that there was not a towing weight back then, was a bit hard to see the car from the back when on the road.

Graham

Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:53 pm 
848cc
848cc

This is the contents of the trailer and the car that went around Australia in 2011, except that the fridge (40 litre) is still in the back seat. The heavier stuff, tools etc went in the car and the bulkier, lighter ones in the trailer. It all fitted provided you packed it right, by the end of the journey we had it down pat and at each stop only removed what we needed to overnight with. Lynne was the Tetris Queen by the end of the trip.

Same combo and a similar trailer behind Steve's 1275LS also did the Tassie tour in 2013. Trailer has covered many kilometres and tows really well, you do need to allow extra for braking and I wouldnt reccomend anything less than Cooper S discs being fitted. Tow Bar is bolted to the rear cross member of the sub-frame through the horizontal and vertical members and into the floor with substantial plates to spread the load. No signs of any cracking or tearing of the body materials.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by ozmini on Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:01 pm 
848cc
848cc

WOW, that is a load.

Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.