Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:26 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Some various issues
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:26 am 
848cc
848cc

Hello all,
I have some issues with daily running of the yellow one. A video will be taken tomorrow morning on the way to work (my camera is at home, and the phone mic is rubbish) to explain.

1. A starting issue - the starter switch crapped out, and the exhaust leak needed fixing. So I hadn't driven for a while (perhaps 2 weeks). Then drove it to work to repair both issues at once, while I had access to the underneath. Engine was making a horrible ticking noise when throttling down (engine braking), more obvious when in gear, but still present when using the brakes in neutral. Sounded like the fan hitting the shroud.
Replaced the exhaust with a 2-box system from Minisport, replaced the floor starter with a solenoid mounted to the timing inspection port on the clutch housing (the holes line up perfectly). On the first test drive, the ticking/clicking noise is still present. The shroud is free of the fan, and moves with the engine when the engine moves. Engine steady is present and tight. Bushes are not worn. Due to the noise only happening when driving, it isn't easy to diagnose it with the bonnet open. I tried stalling it/turning the ignition off while still moving but still couldn't see any parts contacting each other. Tried some experiments, e.g. different steering/brake/gear/throttle inputs and combinations and came up with nothing conclusive.
HOWEVER, the ticking noise has stopped sometime during my testing and has been replaced with a "whoosh" noise (again, only on throttling back).

2. Another noise - perhaps only noticed it because the new exhaust has filtered out so much of the engine noise, but on accelerating there is a buzzing noise. It gets louder/more distinct with more revs. I'm suspecting the timing chain, but I don't know what that sounds like. It's possible that its always been there and I just haven't heard it before.
As far as I know the timing chain is original, I didn't change it out while the engine was out because I couldn't hear it making any noise - and the bolts holding the timing chain cover in place were stuck fast.

3. Starting issue. Though I have done a search on here and suspect my symptoms point to a dodgy earth connection, I haven't experimented with this yet. The ignition/lights/all electronics all work fine, just the starter sometimes doesn't go at all. The new solenoid ticks every time I push the button, but the motor itself doesn't even try to move. The button on the solenoid itself doesn't seem to do anything either. I got it going yesterday morning by shorting the connections on the bottom of the solenoid (with a broken bolt), but that didn't work yesterday evening. This morning it started first shot with the 'engine start' button on the dash.

The first 2 issues could be related, a video will definitely help. I'll get onto that and see if I can upload it here.
I'll try and take a video of the starting issue too if it mucks up. Not much to see if it all works fine though!

Would appreciate any help out there!

Post subject: Re: Some various issues
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:19 pm 
848cc
848cc

On part of your first issue - the ticking noise under braking. I also had a tapping noise under braking that I suspect (but was never able to prove) was one of the UJs hitting the exhaust - I have an LCB and the clearance is very tight on the RHS. The problem went away when I raised the ride height back to a more standard level.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:14 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks TDS76;
That's one of the things I was especially looking for. The old exhaust (due to me forgetting the gearbox exhaust mount) has a 80mm gash in it from the UJ - which is why I replaced it. So I made double and triple sure the mount under there was secure and I can't see any evidence of contact there any more.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:04 am 
848cc
848cc

I took a video in which you can hear the "whoosh" noise on throttling back - probably more of a "floof floof floof" now I hear it again. As an experiment i gave it some juice out of gear (on video) and it still makes the noise.
Actually I'm guessing, but could it perhaps be a sign of rich carb?
I can't quite hear the buzz on engine load, it might be missing from the video or my hearing.
Let's hope this works...
https://share.vidyard.com/watch/cC1dygJfFm3DwsNs2wq9HT?
The starting issue wasn't poor earth connection on the battery. Yesterday it started fine going from work, parked in the garage and started fine once more. Drove around a bit, stopped at some shops and wouldn't start. I've installed some new battery clamps from the shops. My next course of action is to call Minisport and tell them, they sold the solenoid... they might be able to point me in the right direction.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:33 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Some aftermarket starter solenoids have had a quality control issue where a brass plate that connects the 2 threaded posts (to activate the starter motor) becomes eroded and burnt so it randomly passes full current sometimes and not enough current at others. The click means the electro-magnet is moving the brass plate, but if it is burnt, not enough current is going to the starter.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:11 am 
848cc
848cc

An update, for the sake of closure;
1. The starting issue was the starter itself. Contrary to my belief that if a starter was kaput it would never work, apparently they sometimes go intermittent.
I took the starter to pieces and cleaned everything up, looks like one of the active brushes is worn more than the other. Since I don't have another brush I just cleaned it up. Oiled the whole thing lightly and repaired a bit of plastic that had fallen off the terminal. Don't know if it was/is doing anything but it wasn't doing any good floating around inside the casing.
Good news, the starter now works fine. I have a fancy red start button on the dashboard to activate the solenoid and it feels quite posh!
The horrible ticking noise on deceleration - this had me tickled when I found it - the starting solenoid was installed over the clutch inspection port. The screws I used were too long, one of them was hitting the clutch and rattling around.
3. Noise on throttling back is still there, still suspect its due to a rich carb mixture. I will have to take it somewhere to get tuned properly (mixture/timing).
I did an oil change yesterday, switched to HPR30 and oil pressure stays higher now even when warm. Plus the gear changes are easier and it doesn't make a clunk going into 1st/reverse anymore.

Aaand, now I have another noise to locate. When changing from accelerating to decelerating while in gear there is a clunk or a pop, sounds like it comes from around about underneath the dip switch or thereabouts. Varies depending on how rapidly you decelerate, i.e. complete lift off it will be quite noticeable where a slow lift will give a little 'pop' and that's all. Happens once per deceleration. My suspicion is an engine mount or something, but I haven't yet checked underneath. Is this something anybody else has encountered before?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:37 am 
1098cc
1098cc

Most brushes can be sourced try asking at an auto electrician.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:33 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Re the clunk on/off throttle: engine rocking enough to hit something like the subframe or body?
I assume you have the 850 long gearstick so no remote housing to help stabilise the motor rocking with torque changes, other than the engine bracket above the transfer case to the bulkhead near the master cylinders. These bushes can be poor quality.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:32 pm 
religious status
religious status

Re the clunk, check the driveshaft/CV hub nuts are tight.
60 lb ft for drum brakes, 150+ lb ft for disc brakes (except 997-998 Cooper which are 60).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:41 am 
848cc
848cc

Bill B wrote:
Re the clunk on/off throttle: engine rocking enough to hit something like the subframe or body?
I assume you have the 850 long gearstick so no remote housing to help stabilise the motor rocking with torque changes, other than the engine bracket above the transfer case to the bulkhead near the master cylinders. These bushes can be poor quality.

You had it - the bolt at the back of the engine steady (master cylinder side) was slightly loose, enough for movement when you pushed the rocker cover.
Did that up a bit tighter with a new nylock nut and it's a lot better now. Many thanks for your help!