Ausmini
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:00 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: fake mini cooper???
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:33 am 
848cc
848cc

help!

im was the verge of buying a 93 japan imported mini "cooper" i was told by NSW ozcooper(chirs) and the owner that the car is indeed a cooper with a modified gearbox(auto)

but i put on hold the deal when i made this discovery!!! from all reasrch that ive done all the rover mini cooper has always have the computer b4 the radiator

1) pictures of the 93 mini which im looking to purchase (warnin huge pics, sorry)
http://au.geocities.com/ryanluo23/index.htm

*if above link doesnt work , click on these*
http://swooh.com/premium/trey/upload/106_0693.JPG
http://swooh.com/premium/trey/upload/107_0701.JPG

2) the following is what the engine compartment should look like in a 94 rover mayfair - (looks exactly the same as the one ive taken) esp the placement of the radiator n computer
http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f21579620

3) heres a picture of the engine compartment of a cooper! (notice the placement of the computer n radiator) ps i know this is a multiinjected mini (couldnt find a engine pic of a singlefuel injection one atm but im sure all the pictures ive seen have the radiator n cpu just like the one below
http://www.miniresource.com/gallery/01/02s.jpg

call all experts to help me out - so are the coopers just made in 'that' way back in 1993? or am i right to say that it is a mayfair that has been converted to look like a cooper?
one thing tho, it does have the orginal cooper steering wheel n half leather seats!!

comments?...

regards
ryan23 :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:41 am 
1098cc
1098cc

Chris (Gough) and I have had a bit of a falling out, so I'm probably not the best person to ask, but didnt genuing Coopers have a badge on the air-filter housing ?

If this is the one he's had in the shop for a few "years" then no, its not a cooper.
If its a recent import, then could be, I havnt seen it in the flesh....

Anyway, good luck
J

PS - try a quick posting on www.minimania.com/msgthreads.cfm - full of pommies who could give you a "real" id !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:54 am 
1360cc
1360cc

How much is he asking for the car? I think price is a good indication... The rover cooper's aren't very common and are likely to be as rare as a blue fire engines... Lots of fakes out there too I'd guess

Auto box in a cooper indeed! :shock: :? that's just plain wrong... I'd be wary... do heaps of research before putting your money down.

Good Luck!

Post subject: Re: fake mini cooper???
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:19 am 
848cc
848cc

ryan23 wrote:
(warnin huge pics, sorry)

:roll: ...man you weren't wrong!!

Don't blow your dough....be carefull I say.

Post subject: RE COOPER
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:45 am 
848cc
848cc

hi ryan to me the car looks right,to those who seem to know everything rover cooper's from japan especially had auto boxes,not that common in manual and these were made up till 2001 for the export markets only as autoboxes in uk were stopped in 1996 i think.
As for computer location thius is right because the car has airconditioning which was never avaliable on uk cars.
this car is similar underbonnet to my 1998 rover cooperwhich is from japan also
for sale also at $24000 fully complied

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:10 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

I stand corrected! there you go!

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:53 pm 
848cc
848cc

hmm...alright now im more or less convince that coopers from japan are builded like that!

i posted a similar post in another forum and gotten the same reply saying that coops in japan come mostly in autos and its slightly different from the coops that we get from britain

think im gonna go ahead with the deal n bring "milo" home with me in victoria =)