Ausmini
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:50 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:55 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Thanks to Tony for his explanations. His engineering series on Cooper S originally stated the 30 degree angle, which I dutifully corrected when he later changed to 20 degrees, then changed back to 30 degrees again.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:26 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Bill B wrote:
No carby part number listing of CRK147.

CRK147 is an HS4 kit - https://www.sumidel.com/shop/item/crk147

Just spoke to SU Midel and they confirm the jets in that kit are AUD9450 and 9451, both having red bodies with 0.09 jet dameter.

https://www.sumidel.com/shop/item/su-jet-rear-hs4-1-12

https://www.sumidel.com/shop/item/su-jet-front-hs4-1-12

So it may be that my refurbished carbs do have the red bodied jets.

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:37 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Finally solved my problem with a longer jet in both HS4s - the jet slides properly now.
I've learnt a few things along the way.

Attachment:
LH HS4 with AUD9089 jet.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 4:11 pm 
848cc
848cc

Yes I was misled by the Parts Books (and not for the first time have they been contradictory). The original SU drawings show which angle carb applies to each jet part number. In some parts books, the 20 degree jet is specified while in other books, the 30 degree jet - and in the case of a Cooper engine, one carb apparently has a 20 degree jet and the other a 30 degree jet. But, as I have now found out thanks to Bill's question, the only difference is the length of the tube. Rather annoyingly, the drawings for the inlet manifolds show the angle in a most abscure place for such an important quantity and I resisted the temptation to measure it off the drawing direct (something that each drawing carries a warning never to do).

I don't know what SU Midel sell, but according to the original drawings, red indicates zero degrees, or horizontal, carb fitment. The TK6000 jet is not a genuine SU jet as far as I can tell, and could well be red.

Just to reply to Doug above, AUD9450 and AUD9451 are red, but according to the original drawing, are for horizontal HS4 carbs.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:43 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Bill B wrote:
Finally solved my problem with a longer jet in both HS4s - the jet slides properly now.

Fantastic. I have been racking my brain on what ended up being done on my carbs which was several years ago. My car is some distance away in lock-up so I haven't able to check.

The obvious question Bill, what are the part numbers and where did you source them? :wink:

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:54 am 
1275cc
1275cc

winabbey wrote:
Bill B wrote:

Fantastic. I have been racking my brain on what ended up being done on my carbs which was several years ago. My car is some distance away in lock-up so I haven't able to check.

The obvious question Bill, what are the part numbers and where did you source them? :wink:

These jet part numbers were initially taken from the MiniSpares UK website where these are listed for HS4s with 30 degree incline:

The LH (or front - radiator end) carb was the one where the length of the tube did matter: that is AUD9098
The RH (or rear) is AUD9102

I came across "Classic Carburettors Australia" and sent them an email. They had stock of both and confirmed their application.
The parts arrived 2 days later. Each jet was in a genuine SU bag and the jets had their identifying colour bands, unlike items bought recently from a better-known supplier.
They seem to be a part time business somewhere around Cooma. Their catalogue covers a huge range of brands and vintages; well worth a look if you don't know of them.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:04 am 
1360cc
1360cc

Bill B wrote:
The LH (or front - radiator end) carb was the one where the length of the tube did matter: that is AUD9098
The RH (or rear) is AUD9102

Great Bill, many thanks. :)

Those two part numbers are as per the SU drawing I posted earlier, but confusing because their position is different to what MS say. So perhaps there was an error somewhere along the line in documenting LH and RH on the drawing, maybe versus the term front and rear.

Regardless it seems we have collectively solved the problem.

P.S. I've just ordered a pair. ;)

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:41 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

I've managed to find my copy of the SU Reference Catalogue in storage and have posted here some of the pages I think are relevant to this discussion. Would have been nice to have this earlier but better late than never.

You'll see many of the parts and part numbers in the NSW Police SU AUD488 specification sheet I posted earlier line up with the following.

Click on an image to enlarge it, click again to enlarge further.

Attachment:
SU Burlen Catalogue Cover.jpg

First we have clarification of the meaning of the terms LEFT and RIGHT. For a transverse engine Mini they are taken from a view in the drivers seat. The throttle and choke positions use the same method.

Attachment:
SU Burlen Catalogue p007.jpg

Here an exploded view of the HS carburettor family.

Attachment:
SU Burlen Catalogue p016_017.jpg

This shows the SU part number for the needles. Initially a CP4 (AUD1118) was specified for the AUD488 spec carbies, replaced a little later by the BG needle (AUD1067).

Attachment:
SU Burlen Catalogue p112.jpg

The needles were the fixed type to suit 0.090" diameter jets. The spring was blue (AUC4587).

The 0.090 jets can be identified by the lack of a marking groove.

Attachment:
SU Burlen Catalogue p114_115.jpg

As mentioned in earlier posts, the jets to suit the required 30 degree float bowl angle are AUD9098, identified by a black head colour and white sleeve, and AUD9102, also with a black head colour but black sleeve.

Attachment:
SU Burlen Catalogue p116.jpg

The float chamber adapters to suit the 30 degree incline are AUC1336 coloured mauve, and I assume its mate AUC1316 being orange.

Attachment:
SU Burlen Catalogue p132.jpg

The 30 degree float chamber is AUC1310.

Attachment:
SU Burlen Catalogue p134.jpg

Feel free to comment or dispute. :wink:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:45 pm 
848cc
848cc

Returning to this thread... again... I bought 2 HS4 kits from MS, I have no idea what the jets are in terms off cross referencing part numbers and length etc, but neither has a groove so presumably they're 0.090" .. other than that, who knows?? Would it be pertinant to pick up a LH and RH jet from Midel or Classic Carbs - im assuming that the ones provided by MS are 'generic' in terms of LH/RH?
Any assistance would be appreciated. :)
Cheers.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:08 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Is the part number for the 2 HS4 kits you bought from MS WZX1852?

If so, I think they are a service kit to suit any single 1.5" SU but probably not a mini. The red jet head colour (if the jet in each service kit is red) indicates that the jet is for a carburettor that fits the car in the horizontal position, with its float bowl tilted to be upright. From the discussion above, mini carburettors are tilted to 30 degrees and so needs a longer flexible tube to join the fuel bowl to the bottom of the jet.

You could trial fit the red jets supplied to be certain but I expect them to be too short, so you may need to buy 2 more suitable jets.
In winabbey's attachment above, page 116 "Jet Identification" table "3 HS Jets", you need the circled jets AUD9098 and AUD 9102.
I like Classic Carburettors Australia as the jets came in sealed SU branded bags with the correct colour bands to identify them.

To check the 0.09" jet size, a 3/32" drill bit will NOT quite fit into a 0.09" jet. The drill bit will easily fit into all other jet sizes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:18 am 
848cc
848cc

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the response.
The MS kits I bought were CRK150, have most of the necessary bits, butterfly, shaft, needle/seat and gaskets etc.. the jet in this kit is black, but kind of nondescript or generic. The kit came in a clear plastic bag so really I have no idea. The 3/32 drill bit does not fit, so I assume the jet bore is 0.090”. What I don’t like is the angle of the hose - I really only want to do this once and get it right the first time.
I’ll probably go to SU Midel and pick up the correct jets using the part numbers you mention, and some needles while I’m there.
Cheers for the info,
Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:24 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

gtr161 wrote:
Hi Bill,
Thanks for the response.
The MS kits I bought were CRK150,..... the jet in this kit is black, but kind of nondescript or generic.. .... What I don’t like is the angle of the hose - I really only want to do this once and get it right the first time.

The jets in that kit are called "universal". They might be the ones 'eightfifty' said were made by Warnerfords. I don't think there is anything wrong with them. From your comment you know they are 'universal' because they have a long fuel tube and will fit either RH or LH carbs, where the genuine and copy of SU jets have the tube take-off at an angle to the jet pickup linkage towards their respective fuel bowl, so they have to be handed.
Attachment:
SU Jet Comparison.jpg

You can see the SU jet (fitted to the carb) has its fuel tube at an angle to the jet pickup, towards the fuel bowl. The unversal one (placed beside it) has the fuel tube take-off in line with the jet pickup to suit either left or right fuel bowls.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:22 pm 
848cc
848cc

Bill B wrote:
gtr161 wrote:
Hi Bill,
Thanks for the response.
The MS kits I bought were CRK150,..... the jet in this kit is black, but kind of nondescript or generic.. .... What I don’t like is the angle of the hose - I really only want to do this once and get it right the first time.

The jets in that kit are called "universal". They might be the ones 'eightfifty' said were made by Warnerfords. I don't think there is anything wrong with them. From your comment you know they are 'universal' because they have a long fuel tube and will fit either RH or LH carbs, where the genuine and copy of SU jets have the tube take-off at an angle to the jet pickup linkage towards their respective fuel bowl, so they have to be handed.
Attachment:
SU Jet Comparison.jpg

You can see the SU jet (fitted to the carb) has its fuel tube at an angle to the jet pickup, towards the fuel bowl. The unversal one (placed beside it) has the fuel tube take-off in line with the jet pickup to suit either left or right fuel bowls.
Cheers Bill, that’s exactly my situation, I’ll pick up a pair and put the other two away for ‘just in case’.. [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk