Ausmini
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:29 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:08 am 
848cc
848cc

Dear Readers, thanks to a number of factory documents recently recovered after the decease of Roger Foy, I am able to perform quite a number of performance calculations for various models, and in particular, for Mini and Moke. I am attaching a summary below for the Morris Mini range, and I sincerely hope you find this interesting. I have compared all these calculations with those obtained from road tests in Modern Motor and Wheels and you can view that comparison in an updated Article on Vehicle Performance on my web page https://leylandaustralia.com.au/articles.htm

I have done more calculations for the Leyland Mini, and also BMC/Leyland Moke but not yet had time to prepare a comparison plot. Things work out quite well for Leyland Mini, but at higher speeds for Moke, I cannot tell from the magazines if they tested the cars with the top up or down. Even with the top up, at high speeds, the flapping material makes it difficult to estimate an overall drag coefficient that would apply throughout the speed range.

The value of these calculations is that variations in the input (such as vehicle weight, alloy wheels, addition of flares, etc) can be estimated on paper with reasonable accuracy in just a few seconds without the need to actually make the change to the vehicle and do a road test.
Regards, Tony

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:49 pm 
848cc
848cc

Is there anything on the autos?

Too many minis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:41 pm 
848cc
848cc

I've now added three more graphs to the PDF article: Morris Mini Clubman, Leyland Mini, and Morris/Leyland Moke. Surprisingly, a 998 10" wheel Moke has similar acceleration to a 1098cc 13" wheel Moke, but a lower top speed.

I have road test data for the auto, and all the body measurements prepared for calculation, but the auto uses the 9AN UK engine and I need an engine torque curve before I can proceed with it. As you know, the automatic was a souped up 998 engine and so I can't use an ordinary 9Y engine data.