Ausmini
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 4:17 pm 
998cc
998cc

I am looking for ideas for a distinctive trailer to rum behind minis. I don' t want to spend a fortune and it needs to be realistically doable.
Whats everyones thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:16 pm 
848cc
848cc

Do the semi-common thing with a cut-down rear section of another mini?

Put an A frame and bigger wheels on a Weber barbeque?

Do you want to carry anything? or is it just for looks/fun?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:57 pm 
848cc
848cc

Steam wrote:
I am looking for ideas for a distinctive trailer to rum behind minis. I don' t want to spend a fortune and it needs to be realistically doable.
Whats everyones thoughts?

Have a look at a Lightburn trailer, somewhat difficult to find but it would be easy to copy the style.

Too many minis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:23 am 
1098cc
1098cc

Be aware that the rules for DIY trailers got a bit stricter at the start of November. Basically the main components (lamps, couplings, brake systems, safety chains, chassis and drawbar) need to meet type approvals so it does limit some of what you can use. I'm not sure if suspension is included. I have a half-finished trailer made from the back of a Moke, and I don't know if I can register it now.

https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/vsb1-revision-6-trailers-with-an-aggregate-trailer-mass-of-4.5-tonnes-or-less.pdf

Tim

1969 Triumph TR6R
1977 Leyland Moke Californian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:53 pm 
Yay For Hay!

I have a 5' by 3'6" box trailer that I use for tip runs, it's built on a mini rear subframe. I worked with a bloke who built it many years ago, then it was left in a paddock for a long time, I paid him $50 for it, and used to tow it behind my cooper. I actually dragged it out of the paddock, put some lights on it one weekend, then through the next week built a towbar for the cooper through the week, and towed it to Sydney the following weekend.. the things we do

It's a brilliant little trailer and it's exactly the right proportions for towing behind a mini (though looks a little silly behind my subaru)

Attachment:
cooper+trailer-scrapper2 (Medium).jpg

Attachment:
cooper+trailer-tip2 (Medium).jpg

Timbo wrote:
Be aware that the rules for DIY trailers got a bit stricter at the start of November. Basically the main components (lamps, couplings, brake systems, safety chains, chassis and drawbar) need to meet type approvals so it does limit some of what you can use. I'm not sure if suspension is included. I have a half-finished trailer made from the back of a Moke, and I don't know if I can register it now.

https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/vsb1-revision-6-trailers-with-an-aggregate-trailer-mass-of-4.5-tonnes-or-less.pdf

Tim

Don't get too down about it Tim, that looks like a summary of the ADRs that have been in effect for many years. I built a trailer of my own design about 3 years ago for towing my cooper to events, I just read through the ADRs document, picked out the bits that applied and built it to suit. It was mostly just making sure that the lights were all visible at the angles they prescribed.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:18 pm 
998cc
998cc

I currently have a trailer built from a rear subframe with an alloy tray but I am thinking something that stands out more would be cool.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:09 pm 
Yay For Hay!

Steam wrote:
I currently have a trailer built from a rear subframe with an alloy tray but I am thinking something that stands out more would be cool.

see, I think having something that is really really ordinary stands out way more than something fancy..

If you want to stand out, make one out of the nose cone of a clubman so that it tows backwards, red LED bulbs in the headlights, working indicators, parkers as the reversing lights if you want to get really fancy... obviously stowage under the bonnet

cops mightn't like it

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:18 pm 
848cc
848cc

simon k wrote:
see, I think having something that is really really ordinary stands out way more than something fancy..

Me too.

Too many minis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:27 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

One for sale

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:46 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Nice aero.