Ausmini
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:24 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Volvo(?) HIF44 on Mini
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:35 am 
848cc
848cc

Hi all

Recently picked up a HIF44 to replace dual HS4s on my 1275. The carb came with manifold or fittings, and I'm wanting to order these to install over the Christmas break.

The carb did not have any tags, but there's a code on the body AUD3451 - which appears to be from a Volvo 240 (SU # FZX 3009).

Conveniently the fuel lines connect on the passenger side, and throttle/choke on drivers. This is reverse of all other HIF44s that I've seen.

The only issue I can see is with the abutment plate which holds the throttle and choke cable - is there anything else I need to consider?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:44 am 
1275cc
1275cc

I think the hardest part will be getting an abutment plate with the throttle & choke cables in the right spot. The mini used a cam type throttle arm to give a progressive opening with the pedal input

It appears to have a HS type dashpot rather than the later HIF type with a ball bearing. This is how the HIF6 was specced from SU and I'm guessing that's what you've got?

It might be worth changing the throttle blade to a plain one without the poppet valve while it's off the car too. I'm assuming it'll need a full gasket kit, so it's worth getting one with the plain throttle blade

Last edited by timmy201 on Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:12 pm 
848cc
848cc

The abutment plate isn't too difficult to sort out, the linkages might be though.

Readspeed sells flat abutment plates ready to be folded, just add "6mm barrel adjusters" from a bicycle to hold the cables.

Edit: I think the plate needs to be different for a HIF, the plate I bought was for a HS6 but he probably does them for a HIF too.

Too many minis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:27 pm 
848cc
848cc

timmy201 wrote:
It appears to have a HS type dashpot rather than the later HIF type with a ball bearing. This is how the HIF6 was specced from SU and I'm guessing that's what you've got?

It might be worth changing the throttle blade to a plain one without the poppet valve while it's off the car too. I'm assuming it'll need a full gasket kit, so it's worth getting one with the plain throttle blade

Planning for a full rebuild kit with the solid butterfly already.

With the dashpot, is it just the damper (LZX2085) that would need to be replaced? The piston already has the swinging type needle setup

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:57 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

The dashpot and damper are different part numbers.

The HIF6 used the later HS type which had the swinging needle and the early long narrow spring (similar to a late HS6)
Attachment:
HIF_Carbs-large-www.7ent.com.jpg

The HIF44 has a ball bearing between the dashpot and piston. They use the wider spring and different damper rod
Attachment:
gen-hif44e.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:32 am 
848cc
848cc

I've got the same problem and have similar aspirations over Christmas. This is my current solution so as to retain the existing abutment plate that I have - a new throttle linkage that fits onto the shaft on the 'correct' side.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/274966939725