Ausmini
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:23 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: WIRING GETTING HOT
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:19 am 
998cc
998cc

Sorry to hear your pain continues. On Page 7 or 8 of this thread - Simon suggested taking the dip switch out of the equation ? (At that time , I think the stalk type dipper was being envisioned but the floor type could still be the culprit (new or not ) Now with your separate headlight loom, this would be another good time to isolate and exclude another possible source.
I am not sure if the floor switch uses the bolts to earth - but I would create a new 'GOOD' earth just for back to back tests. If I missed you already checking this out - sorry)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:40 am 
998cc
998cc

cooperess wrote:
I made up my own stand alone headlight wiring loom today, so the headlights are not within the cars loom. This made no difference to dip switch (all wires used) or the light switch (only 2 wires) or the earth wires, they all started to get hot. The dip switch is new. The headlight switch is a new Lucas branded one. The two headlight looms are new from Karcraft.

This means my new loom is not responsible for my heating earth wires etc.

Still the mistery continues.

I found this:
https://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/t ... p-melting/
and this:
http://www.advanceautowire.com/
Attachment:
headlightsch.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:40 am 
1098cc
1098cc

Great find DavidE.

Looks like I am going down the relay route.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:18 pm 
848cc
848cc

Cooperess
Try LED bulbs first, to reduce the current (and heating) in the wiring and switch.
The relays are the ultimate solution, but you are likely to open up more cans of (hot) worms unless you get it 100% correct.
Dave2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:45 pm 
998cc
998cc

FNQ wrote:
Sorry to hear your pain continues. On Page 7 or 8 of this thread - Simon suggested taking the dip switch out of the equation ? (At that time , I think the stalk type dipper was being envisioned but the floor type could still be the culprit (new or not ) Now with your separate headlight loom, this would be another good time to isolate and exclude another possible source.
I am not sure if the floor switch uses the bolts to earth - but I would create a new 'GOOD' earth just for back to back tests. If I missed you already checking this out - sorry)

On my cars the dipper switches are all secured by self-tapping screws.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:00 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

FNQ wrote:

Pretty sure the floor dipswitch is just an on/off switch with a high beam headlight wire in and one out, so earthing of the switch body isn't needed.

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:53 pm 
848cc
848cc

I find this wiring diagram easier to follow at a glance, ie dipper switch #51. Hope it helps. Well used over the years....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:45 am 
998cc
998cc

winabbey wrote:
Pretty sure the floor dipswitch is just an on/off switch with a high beam headlight wire in and one out, so earthing of the switch body isn't needed.

But is effected by virtue of the fasteners used to hold it in position.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:51 am 
998cc
998cc

DavidE wrote:
winabbey wrote:

Uuuummm no David, switches don't have earths ... the electrical circuit is not effected ..nor affected.. by the mechanical fasteners (screws)... Only things that consume power have earths.

And... it's not an on/off switch either. There are (usually:) 3 terminals and 4 output wires. Power comes in from the light switch and is "switched" to either the terminal connected to the low beam circuit or the other terminal that has a wire running to the high beams (there's a downstream splitter) and one going to the high beam indicator on the dash.

Cheers, Ian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:21 am 
998cc
998cc

1071 S wrote:
DavidE wrote:
winabbey wrote:

Uuuummm no David, switches don't have earths ... the electrical circuit is not effected ..nor affected.. by the mechanical fasteners (screws)... Only things that consume power have earths.

Cheers, Ian

You have misunderstood, Ian, what I wrote. I was saying is that the dip switch body is connected to the car's body by the fasteners.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:00 am 
998cc
998cc

Hi David, I thought I read what I thought you said...... (I took "... is effected....." to mean that the dip switch earth is actioned by the switch retains screws...)

And I shouldn't have been so unequivocal.... some circuits are indeed earth switched (not a good idea IMHO). However, even in these cases I would argue that the "switch" isn't actually earthed (just the wire coming into it from the switched device...)

Time for a coffee this week?

Cheers, Ian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:41 am 
1098cc
1098cc

ausdino Excellent contibution (different wiring diagrams), I think this will help me alot.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:45 am 
1360cc
1360cc

1071 S wrote:
And... it's not an on/off switch either. There are (usually:) 3 terminals and 4 output wires.

You are correct of course. In my haste to point out the switch doesn't need earthing I overlooked that detail.

Attachment:
Dipper Switch a.jpg

High beam must have been used a lot by Police or the later owner as the plastic connector is slightly melted.

Attachment:
Dipper Switch b.jpg

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:47 pm 
848cc
848cc

Dave Dobeson wrote:
Cooperess
Try LED bulbs first, to reduce the current (and heating) in the wiring and switch.
The relays are the ultimate solution, but you are likely to open up more cans of (hot) worms unless you get it 100% correct.
Dave2

And/Or try alternate switches. You have taken the wiring harness out of the equation, but i notice you say dip & toggle are new… new doesn’t always mean good these days so could be part of the issue? Worth checking before adding relays.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:41 pm 
998cc
998cc

I promised my self I would no longer get involved with this thread as I don't think anyone has any idea as to what is going actually on...... Too many red herrings...

Buuut ... I started reading again and got sucked in... This is quote from way back when...

cooperess wrote:
Dave Dobeson
Do high and low come on together? No
Do they both go off together? No
Low beam is on the switch. Hi beam is on the stalk when pushed forward. There is no high beam flasher when stalk is pulled back.
I will try to put up a drawing of the indicator stalk adaptation.

Are you saying that only low beams (ignoring side light etc) are connected to the light switch? With high beam being powered by the stalk .... which is connected to what? ... the ignition switch? or some other powered point??

How many dip switches do you have?

How do you turn the low beams off?

How's the trip to the auto elec going?

By the way.. you don't need any fancy LEDs to test Dave's theories. Just get some old fashioned low power H4 bulbs from the local servo...

And relays are really dead simple compared to what you've been up to so far... (see Timmy's post of the first page)

Cheers, Ian

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next