Ausmini
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:41 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:40 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi all, I need some help making sense of where the steering column bracket and pedal box meet under the dash. I've got a Australian Leyland 1978 Van but I can't find any decent references of how it's meant to be set up. Has anyone got a photo handy?

I think I've got a bracket from another car at the moment because it never really fit right, so I bought a drop bracket from retro components. I've also taken the pedal box out and refurbished it. Since putting it back in I've noticed the arms that extend up to meet the bracket have been bent to the right (not by me) and now the gap between the dash and the arms is bigger than before I removed it. So now I'm not sure where i've gone wrong and what parts I'm missing.

This is what I've got..

Attachment:
pedal-box-01.png

Attachment:
pedal-box-02.png

Attachment:
pedal-box-03.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:41 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Attachment:
pedal box.jpg

The small spacer allows the pedal box support arms to sandwich between the steering column bracket and lower dash but not be bolted.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:48 pm 
998cc
998cc

The arms do come out at an angle that does not look right unless you know how it goes together.
The flat plate goes between the two arms, and then the steering column bracket under them.
There is also a bracket that fits on top of the dash.
I suspect the whole design is part of the collapsible steering column to meet ADR requirements.
The whole dash folds up in a crash.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:13 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks for the help! It has defeated me this weekend though. My new expensive drop bracket doesn't fit. I tried the cheap chrome one too but that doesn't work with the bracket that came with the car.

Can I just confirm.. is the bracket pictured below correct for a 78 clubman?

All the brackets I can find pictures of have the angle pointing downwards.. but mine angles upwards. When it's bolted tight it pushes up and warps the dash.

Attachment:
bracket-02.png

Attachment:
bracket-diagrams.png

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:42 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

The mini kingdom book says clubman 1974 onwards is AYG6019 (an Australian designed part)

Not sure if these will help:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:35 pm 
848cc
848cc

That bracket you have is the correct one and so is the pedal box. Parts book diagrams are not always reliable, often giving the right part number but using an old picture. There is a spacer (as mentioned previously) under the parcel shelf, and also a tapping plate on the top side of the parcel shelf. You could also check that you have the pedal box correctly installed and there's no carpet or underfelt being caught up where it shouldn't be. I would agree that the tangs of the pedal box should be flush with the lower side of the parcel shelf. (Edit. this is wrong. In early cars, the chrome bracket abuts the parcel shelf, and in later cars, there is a packing piece AYG6029). The witness marks on the spacer and the bracket shown in your first picture don't look right to me.

Last edited by eightfifty on Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:19 pm 
848cc
848cc

No that's very helpful timmy201! I haven't been able to find any info at all but that confirms it, thanks.

eightfifty yeah those marks are from a makeshift drop bracket.. two dirty big nuts were in between the bracket and spacer plate. The arms weren't clamped in and it was a bit iffy so it's time to do it properly. I loosened the pedal box and put a washer behind the bulkhead bolts which brought the arms back up.

The problem now is the shape of the bracket doesn't match the curve under the dash. The picture below is loosely done up.. when I tighten the bolts the curve of the bracket pushes into the vinyl and warps that whole section of dash. I'll have to rig up a spacer.. a bit better than nuts this time.

Attachment:
bracket-03.png

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:33 pm 
848cc
848cc

I take it back. That bracket may not be the correct one after all. I've now discovered there are two brackets which are very similar, but one is longer than the other. See pictures below. I will try to find out which bracket is for your car.

Edit: AYG6019 is listed in parts books for Morris Mini Clubman and also parts book for Leyland Mini both when steering lock is fitted. AYG6019 is dated 9/1971 and last updated 7/72. But your bracket is AYG6028 which is shorter (compare dimenions 1.94 on AYG6019 and 1.70 on AYG6028). AYG6028 is dated 8/72. All brackets are shown applicable to YDO21 YDO22 and YDO23.

Just going on the dates of the drawings, AYG6028 (which is what I think you have) was introduced about second half of 1972, but the parts books only mention AYG6019. The only change that occured in 1977 or so was the fitment of dual circuit brakes which meant a tab had to be welded on to the pedal box for the brake light switch. I can't find any mention of AYG6028 in a parts book or amendment advice, but perhaps Doug can find it. Regards, Tony

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:11 am 
848cc
848cc

Thank you Tony! I'm so glad I found this forum.. you guys are amazing.

Yeah the 1.70 measurement on AYG6028 does match the flat section of my bracket. The other bracket would probably be more suited to the under dash curve. I'll see what I can do to create some space. Thanks for the help

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:09 pm 
848cc
848cc

GOod news. I've found the correct drawing of the column fitment and here it is. This drawing is dated 1972. By the look of it, you do have the correct bracket even though the parts books show the earlier part number. Note, there is a packing piece AYG6029 and so the tangs of the pedal box bracket do not sit flush with the parcel shelf bottom. Regards, Tony

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:33 pm 
848cc
848cc

The details of steering column mountings and pedal boxes has turned out to be quite an involved one and I have written up an account of this which is available on the Articles page at http://www.leylandaustralia.com.au . Brieftly, there are quite a few different arrangements with the brackets and above and below the pedal box tangs and, given the importance of not over stressing the pinion spline, it is essential to get it right. Thanks to the original poster for the most interesting question. Regards, Tony

PS: If I might be permitted a small announcement: The Leyland Austalia Chronicles book is now available in colour, and in hard back. There are some available at the web site, and Minisport and have some also in stock. No expense has been spared in producing this book.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:39 am 
848cc
848cc

Thanks so much for the info, Tony. I haven't had another attempt at it yet but I'll let you know how it turns out.

Cheers
Dan