Ausmini
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:02 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:55 pm 
998cc
998cc

We all have classic cars, most of us probably also hve newer modern cars, so how much is too much.
On your classics what do you feel is needed or desired..
On you moderns what could you do without or think is a waste of time and/or space .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:17 pm 
998cc
998cc

For my Classic, I feel that the radio/cd player (with remote control) is useful.... and definitely the 12V outlet to power the GPS (or charge the phone). I walked back from the IR trigger ignition (Piranha) (could be bothered swapping points back out when the original failure was identified as a bad earth. Couldn't get the replacement electronic switch for my original SU fuel pump to work so replaced it with a Kiwi, points switched SU replica.

When I bought my Golf 13 years (so is is an old or new modern??) ago I was able to deselect most of the useless stuff. I do find the hands free phone/audio system useful but I mostly ignore thing like the auto headlights and wipers...

A friend gets pretty peeved when his Tesla mistakes a roadside sign for an oncoming semi and slams on the brakes....

Cheers, Ian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:03 pm 
848cc
848cc

Steam.
Too much technology is never enough.
My Mini is still looking for his old mates Telstar and Sputnik.
Dave

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:02 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

electronic ignition, that's all you need upgraded

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:43 am 
Milatsmadmini

TK wrote:
electronic ignition, that's all you need upgraded

ive got a megajolt setup and a single 12v outlet.. but considering EFI down the line

“A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.” - Jeremy Clarkson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:48 am 
848cc
848cc

The only thing I missed was a clock so I installed one.

Too many minis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:01 am 
998cc
998cc

As I posed the question it is only proper that I add my 2 cent worth.
I am of the opinion that any computer or electronics on a car is unnecessary. That being said I have modified my view in the last little while. If the technology does not actually provide something new and worthwhile then it is a waste of time. Specifically, things like air and climate control do not need a computer, neither do door locks windows etc. If the tech has the ability to render the car unusable or undrivable then it it not needed. And don't get me started on the electronic voice that needs to tell you when to slow down.
On the Mini i have electronic ignition (my one comcession to possible breakdown failure) but I carry a points dissy as a spare. I have a older fm radio and a bluetooth mp3 usb adaptor in a 12v socket and a clock/voltmeter. I also have a tacho which I suppose is technology and thats it. Any more is too much.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:31 pm 
848cc
848cc

If manufacturers hadn't made a lot of these unnecessary features then I don't think anyone would actually be asking for them. Who would actually be wanting a screen over a physical switch etc.

It is all about marketing to get people to buy the features to feel good about themselves or better than others. All these unnecessary features are what sets the vehicles apart to the average person.

I laugh a lot inside whenever my manager is buying a new car. He had to have a big ute despite never intending on going off road or carrying much. The largest load I know of him carrying could've fit in a mini van. Then once he got bored he sold it to buy an SUV of course. His idea of quality is the interior etc, not the mechanical aspects therefore he avoided Mazda, Kia etc. Recently he was sorting out a car for his wife, she apparently wanted heated seats, electric tailgate and some other stuff I don't remember. Of course it had to be an SUV too despite driving a fiesta for 10 years before. She was happy with a Kia but he didn't like that, he insisted on a VW.

Marketing does well. Car salesmen are also good at convincing people they need things.

I hate to think about if I had to buy a newer vehicle. The newest vehicle I drive is a basic 2014 one, obviously still too many computers but everything is still physical buttons at least. When it dies (it's had way too many faults for what one should expect) it will be replaced with a 1950 or 1952 vehicle :lol:

Too many minis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:45 pm 
848cc
848cc

Keyless entry/ignition is another thing which maybe it is faster but there are more negatives than positives. Easy to steal being the easy one.

I am waiting for when someone is going on about keyless entry and I can tell them I work on a 1950 vehicle with it. They never had any keys from the factory, just open the door and turn a switch for the ignition. :lol: Probably almost more secure now than modern "keyless" entry/ignition vehicles.

Too many minis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:29 pm 
SooperDooperMiniCooper ExpertEngineering

I like the simplicity of minis. It's cool to tell someone you replaced a clutch in the course of an afternoon for less than 200 bucks. They used to be considered difficult cars to work on, but now they're as simple as a lawnmower when compared to modern cars.

All garage work involves equal measures of enthusiasm, ingenuity and a fair degree of irresponsibility.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:35 pm 
Yay For Hay!

Mick wrote:
I like the simplicity of minis. It's cool to tell someone you replaced a clutch in the course of an afternoon for less than 200 bucks.

Or in the carpark at your hotel the afternoon the day before you and your kids spend a whole day wringing its neck with in a paddock with 100 other nut jobs doing the same thing

Like everythibg to do with minis, they're ready and willing to be whatever you want them to be...

I can't remember all the different things I've done to my mini...

ECU running 4x GM LS1 coils with sparks that would just about ignite distilled water (I haven't seen a distributor in 15 years)
OBD2 Dash display (eBay special of course)
Electronic line locker staging brake (I'd love to have a go at ABS on it)
Speed proportional electric power steering (with a quickrack and 6 degrees of caster - my god its nice to drive)

I'd go back to injection, but only with 4 intake ports...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:19 am 
1098cc
1098cc

My Mini hasn't got air con, auto wipers, auto lights, power windows, power steering, power mirrors, power seats etc etc etc. It would still go from A to B.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:19 am 
998cc
998cc

My 2 bobs worth...

Necessities for a classic would be simply electronic ignition (I'm running a PEAK) and something to play tunes over the top of the many noises generated by the old beast! I've installed an Alpine system, but more often than not it's turned off and I'm happy to just listen to the sounds of the car...

As for new vehicles, they've gone too far! Those bloody screens - thou shalt not use a mobile phone, but by all means knock yourself out playing with the equivalent distraction built into the car!!!

My cars range in age from 18 to 60 and I have no intention replacing any of them. New ones do absolutely nothing for me and please don't get me started on SUV's... :lol:

'63 Morris 850 (Old Secondhand CAR)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:03 pm 
998cc
998cc

Too much if you park a tesla in south Melbourne.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:24 pm 
religious status
religious status

My 70 Mini wasaMatic has a Powerspark electronic ignition, an old Pioneer fm radio with CD, a 12V socket and bracket for a tomtom on trips. Also a 12V bilge blower in the fresh air heater duct to keep my toes warm in traffic.
I had a Bluetooth doover for my phone but I gave that away. Can't hear a phone in my car...!

Edit:
The front seat belts are now inertia reel. Still no belts in the rear, or passengers either!