Ausmini
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:00 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:03 am 
848cc
848cc

Having disastrous result with trying to fit silver deluxe side finisher (GZF105). Anybody got any handy tips?
I've already screwed up one and will need to get another!! Maybe the "non deluxe version is easier.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:21 am 
998cc
998cc

You have to get them straight first so that they lose their coil.
I mount them on a frame in the hottest sun and after about a week they look like this:[img]Plastichrome.jpg[/img]

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:25 am 
998cc
998cc

As David said you have to get them straight first, then I used a heat gun to soften the immediate areas where they have to bend sharply. take your time to get them hot enough and work the bend to a good shape. I used pop rivets to hold mine in place but that may not be to everyones taste although you cannot really see the rivets unless you get close.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:32 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks Dave and steam. Was the plastichrome originally fitted to the Mk1 Cooper S (australian) or something different?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:16 pm 
998cc
998cc

As far as I know that is what was fitted, although the original name or the product developed for the Mini was called Claylastic as made by Howard Clayton-Wright Ltd.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:00 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi, I used a long length of right angle trim as used on iron sheds the strip clips over an edge like on the car to get them straight. I the lined them Up and bent them around the sharp curves using a short piece of 1 mm thick sheet bent to the radius of the curves of the car. Much easier than trying to work on the car. Then did the final adjustment as I fitted them to the car.Mid summer on the hottest day you can bare is best, someone once mentioned clipping over the sharp edge of a spare piece of gutter. Anything straight and thin enough to hold the chrome firmly will do.
I ruined one set using a heat gun, this way I didn't need one, very uncomfortable in the heat though.
Hope that makes sense.

Remember the lesson not the disappointment.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:24 pm 
848cc
848cc

All makes sense stewartp, unfortunately temperature at this time in spain is not hot enough. Roll on next summer!