848cc

This may be of interest to some.

https://www.bugeyeguys.com/2024/01/how- ... 4eeda73c3f

Regards Jon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:23 am 
998cc
998cc

A good simple test well explained.
Be aware that some modules can develop intermittent faults that will show as a misfire throughout the rev range.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:35 pm 
848cc
848cc

It's an interesting video and well presented, but in my opinion, he's actually got it wrong. At 3:59 he says "there's no light there because the points are open". (he's talking about the "electronic" points in the "igniter" module). Since he's connected the test light to the points side of the coil (and the other end to chassis ground), then surely there is no light there becase the points are closed - not open. When the points open, there will appear 12V at the points side of the coil and so the test light will light.

But, you have to be careful with this. Because this is an inductive circuit, the instant the points open, there is a huge kick voltage generated at the CB terminal of the coil (up to 400V) or so which will damage anything sensitive connected to this terminal (like an oscilloscope or voltmeter). It doesn't much matter for the guy's test light although it might burn out if it's resistance is too low. Automotive test equipment accounts for this, but ordinary Jaycar equipment will not handle it.

It's surprising he doesn't mention the most commoin failure of these devices, and that is, heat. The "igniter" (nice sales terminology) has a transistor in it capable of switching a substantial amperage, but like all electronic devices, is not 100% efficient and the heat generated has to be disipated. If you've ever looked at a car radiio of the period, you can see the power transistors are always large metal-cased items screwed to the chassis (but insulated with mica washers) for the same reason. For these electronic distributors, there is hopefully a small amount of heat conductive grease supplied which is applied to the base plate to reduce heat build up. Sometimes the "igniter" comes good again once it cools down which makes it difficult to find the fault.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:08 pm 
998cc
998cc

I have Pertronix Ignitors fitted to two of my Minis; one a 1275cc and the other a 998cc, both using 29D distributors, and another 998cc (25D dissy) with another brand of electronic ignition. Not that I need it, but I have a spare Pertronix that came my way at a good price so that I'd have a spare, just in case. I also have spare 29D's, just in case. I have not had one iota to trouble with any of the installed units, all of which were installed i/s/w the provided instructions.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:17 pm 
848cc
848cc

eightfifty wrote:
It's an interesting video and well presented, but in my opinion, he's actually got it wrong. At 3:59 he says "there's no light there because the points are open". (he's talking about the "electronic" points in the "igniter" module). Since he's connected the test light to the points side of the coil (and the other end to chassis ground), then surely there is no light there becase the points are closed - not open. When the points open, there will appear 12V at the points side of the coil and so the test light will light.

But, you have to be careful with this. Because this is an inductive circuit, the instant the points open, there is a huge kick voltage generated at the CB terminal of the coil (up to 400V) or so which will damage anything sensitive connected to this terminal (like an oscilloscope or voltmeter). It doesn't much matter for the guy's test light although it might burn out if it's resistance is too low. Automotive test equipment accounts for this, but ordinary Jaycar equipment will not handle it.

It's surprising he doesn't mention the most commoin failure of these devices, and that is, heat. The "igniter" (nice sales terminology) has a transistor in it capable of switching a substantial amperage, but like all electronic devices, is not 100% efficient and the heat generated has to be disipated. If you've ever looked at a car radiio of the period, you can see the power transistors are always large metal-cased items screwed to the chassis (but insulated with mica washers) for the same reason. For these electronic distributors, there is hopefully a small amount of heat conductive grease supplied which is applied to the base plate to reduce heat build up. Sometimes the "igniter" comes good again once it cools down which makes it difficult to find the fault.

If that is how it is connected you are correct (I haven't rewatched).

Really all the testing in the video is identical to points ignition and is only a basic test.

Early electronic ignition modules had decent sized heatsinks to dissipate the heat and prolong the component life. Newer electronics are more efficient so generate less heat however I still believe it is a bad idea with how they rely on the distributor base as a heatsink. There is no airflow and a small mass. I avoid any electronics in an engine bay, heat decreases component life dramatically and add to that the fact that a lot of modules are made cheaply.

Too many minis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:21 am 
religious status
religious status

I have fitted lots of electronic ignition kits over the years. Pertronix, Accuspark, noname and Powerspark.
One died due to wires reversed by owner.
Two suffered from misfiring after warmup, cause was a dud coil in both cases.
One was a Bosch GT40 3 ohm, the other a Pertronix 3 ohm. Both modules were fine.
Always try with another coil, before condemning the module. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:39 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Any one running the Lumenition's Optronic Ignition. Had one many moons ago on my SD1 and never had any probs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:26 pm 
848cc
848cc

cooperess wrote:
Any one running the Lumenition's Optronic Ignition. Had one many moons ago on my SD1 and never had any probs.

I don't have any experience with it but if I was to choose an electronic ignition that would probably be it. I have heard of one failing but that is no sign that they are worse than anything else.

Too many minis