Ausmini
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Engine Lift Bracket
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:31 pm 
848cc
848cc

Well, we probably all need a break from Larry's electrical problems, so I thought I'd write in with a picture of my new engine lift brackets. I wrote an a article about engine lift brackets a little while ago (see footnote*) and all up, I didn't think any of the presently available items were ideal, each of them having some shortcomings. The main problem is the need to remove two cylinder head studs (or bolts) which of course should be avoided. As well, it is desirable to have a change in angle of lift depending on whether one is coming or going. Having surveyed what's out there, and discounting various home remedies, I've come up with the item pictured below. It attaches to the two outermost cylinder head studs, and also at the same time, the rocker cover studs, and there is a cross bar to take the sideways load so that the lift on the studs is as vertical as possible. I haven't tried it yet, but it fitted ok to a loose head. At present, one has to disconnect the shackles from the angled holes to the top holes to change to a vertical lift, but I am giving some thought to an adjustable screw type arrangement whereby this can be changed smoothly with load in place so that once you've got the power unit past the engine bay cross member, you can even things up a bit will still in the air.

Readers might also remember that I put together an early 850 gearbox last year with completely new components. As most will know, trying to tighten (or loosen) the 3rd motion shaft nut, the 1st motion shaft nut, and the drive shaft yoke nuts, is fraught with frustration because one has difficulty in holding the transmission case against the reverse torque. There is a special tools bulletin dated 1964 whicvh gives dimensions of a cradle for holding the case - and I made it, but it didn't work very well. So I adapted it with various modifications to allow the drive shaft yokes to be locked while also allowing the nuts to be tightened, and, if one bolts on a long piece of angle, one can also do up the 3rd and 1st motion shaft nuts with ease. Works quite well on another tranmission I am building.

(* Note. I'm afraid I've had to discontinue public download of my articles on my web site for now. It seems I am the target of an online stalker and I am hopeful that the lack of downloadable material might make the person go elsewhere. Apologies).

Regards
Tony

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Engine Lift Bracket
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:57 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Agreed, Tony. We need a distraction. And there's no better way to redirect our attention than to dress up some attractive heavy equipment in bright red.

A lot of serious design work here. Well done.

Sorry you've had to pull the Articles downloads. I was looking for one a few days ago and wondered why they had disappeared

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:02 pm 
848cc
848cc

In regards to your website are you sure it isn't just a bot such as a search engine?

Too many minis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:03 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Sorry Tony & Bill for boring you guys but electricity is a mistery to me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:11 am 
848cc
848cc

Larry, I don't think anyone's bored, more frustrated that something like this can usually be diagnosed in a few minutes - but by remote control, it's heavy going.

I've found that bots usually probe in bursts and target everything, whereas this visitor has been persistant for months (probably a couple of years) and origniates within Australia. I know who it is, but I can't mention his name in public.

I thought the red was a nice contrast to the green I had mixed up. The green doesn't show up well in the photos. Putting the phone image next to the actual item really demonstrates how difficult it is to match colours on a computer.

With the engine lift bracket, I feel better about undoing the outermost studs and re-tightening rather than the inner ones, plus having four attachments means that there is a safety factor there if one of the bolts/nuts has a problem, the other one will take the load.

Since I've now put the power unit back in the car a couple of weeks ago, it will be a while before I get to try it out. Below is a picture of the mighty 850 power unit, complete with the new ARP head studs (should have just kept the original ones, but threw them out). Please note the low rise thermostat housing. I printed up a pattern in ABS and had a couple cast in aluminium. Hard to find original these days. Plus also shown is the recovered oil breather hose with the original outer covering pulled over new rubber hose inside.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:08 am 
998cc
998cc

I agree that no one is bored with cooperess and his light woes, frustrated maybe, but fault finding by correspondence is not the best way.
The lift bracket is well made and a variance on a theme but we all need to do what works best for us. I have made various brackets over the years and all have their pros and cons.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:29 am 
998cc
998cc

eightfifty wrote:
Since I've now put the power unit back in the car a couple of weeks ago, it will be a while before I get to try it out. Below is a picture of the mighty 850 power unit, complete with the new ARP head studs (should have just kept the original ones, but threw them out). Please note the low rise thermostat housing. I printed up a pattern in ABS and had a couple cast in aluminium. Hard to find original these days. Plus also shown is the recovered oil breather hose with the original outer covering pulled over new rubber hose inside.

I never fill my tank extensions to the mark. All I need in the tube is enough to see that there is fluid there. More than that is a waste, in my opinion. Extension tubes at half the height would be more practical.