Ausmini
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:46 am 
848cc
848cc

Hi all
After my previous post about my experience getting a business to repair my leaking hose on my S I’m sorry to say that it has failed and popped off the bag.
So, I’ve searched here and other overseas sites for solutions but there’s so many home solutions that to be honest I’m thinking about sending the bag to someone for a more permanent fix

The top of the bag appears to be solid with no rust.
I want to keep the hydro but I want to fix it properly and not have it pop off in the middle of nowhere.

So I’m throwing it out to the group to see if we have anyone who would fix it properly for me.

I’m on the nth Coast NSW and I can deliver the bag and hose or post it if anyone can help me out

Is there anyone who can fix it?

Thank you
Neil

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:35 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Attachment:
Versa Flare on displacer with hose.jpg
This is the repair suggested by a fitter at my local Pirtek and who knew what hydro suspension was.
It is from the front of my Mk2, where the hose leaked at the stub. The small piece has a tapered nose that is like an olive compression fitting. The blanking plug is used to install the whole adaptor. The hose is removeable.
I haven't fitted it to a car yet as I had a spare to swap over when it burst, but it should cope with the hydro pressure. The adaptor parts were cheap but the new hose and 2 ends weren't!

Attachment:
Versa flare parts.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:43 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Bill - can you please explain the steps to get the new fitting in the displacer? Is the old stub cut off and the new fitting simply screwed in?

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:22 am 
848cc
848cc

Thanks for your reply Bill,
I’ve never seen that solution so I will go looking for the fittings
The original system was so simple and elegant in that it went over the small flange on the spout to help keep it in place then compressed onto the hose to prevent leaks
I was even thinking about slicing a new hose fitting along the length of it and slip it over the spout flange then use a T bolt hose clamp to apply sealing pressure.
I will try to get the versa fitting
Cheers
Neil

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:06 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

winabbey wrote:
Bill - can you please explain the steps to get the new fitting in the displacer? Is the old stub cut off and the new fitting simply screwed in?

The original hose needs to be removed, leaving a 3/8inch (I think) stub spout sticking out of the rubber.
Slide the hex nut onto the stub - hex end first, as far as it will go (see the top photo).
Next, slide the bullet-shaped sleeve over the stub pipe with the chamfered nose first. Its chamfer will sit in a tapered seat at the end of the hex nut.
The blanking plug in the top of the photo is screwed into the top of the hex nut and tightened to compress the bullet sleeve into the taper and grip the stub pipe, a bit like an olive fitting. Once complete, unscrew the blanking plug and keep for the next time....

I had a completely new hose made, so the displacer end of the hose has the same thread as the 'Versa Flare' adaptor. Even the old hose, reused, will need a union to fit the repair.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:42 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Bill B wrote:
winabbey wrote:

The original hose needs to be removed, leaving a 3/8inch (I think) stub spout sticking out of the rubber.
Slide the hex nut onto the stub - hex end first, as far as it will go (see the top photo).
Next, slide the bullet-shaped sleeve over the stub pipe with the chamfered nose first. Its chamfer will sit in a tapered seat at the end of the hex nut.
The blanking plug in the top of the photo is screwed into the top of the hex nut and tightened to compress the bullet sleeve into the taper and grip the stub pipe, a bit like an olive fitting. Once complete, unscrew the blanking plug and keep for the next time....

I had a completely new hose made, so the displacer end of the hose has the same thread as the 'Versa Flare' adaptor. Even the old hose, reused, will need a union to fit the repair.

Many thanks Bill. That makes sense. Obviously the "stub spout" in the displacer needs to be in good condition.

While this is fresh in your mind could you please list the parts, part numbers and source for the hex nut, sleeve, etc. I see the note with numbers in one image but unsure which bits are which and where to purchase. :wink:

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:08 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

The bits are still available. These are Pirtek's part numbers.

Attachment:
Nut and sleeve plus installing plug.jpg
The hose is p/n R1AT - 06.

At the displacer end of the hose there is a connector JM1 - 0906K that screws into the nut and sleeve.

Attachment:
Hose attached to displacer.jpg

At the other end of the hose that joins onto the car's plumbing, your old nut and tail has to be brazed onto an Adaptor p/n W01 - 0606K (that is W01 - 0606K) that is then swaged onto the hose.
Attachment:
Original nut and tail needed to fit to car.jpg
Attachment:
Original nut and tail brazed to new connector.jpg

Apologies for the small font on labels but can't find the redo button.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:12 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Thanks for the detailed explanation Bill. I’m sure it will come in handy.

VMCI #43