Ausmini
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Should I do this myself or take it to a shop?
Do it yourself 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
Take it to a shop 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
No Idea 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 10
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:45 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Update:

Hubnut is off (****** tight bastard that one!) steering rack is disconnected but having massive problems with the upper and lower ball joints!

Already bent my ball joint splitter tool trying! :shock: Not sure if I should get the fork type splitter. Aaron and Doc, what do you recommend? I've WD40'd her to death, wacked the top ball joint hard several times, tried levering, tried jacking her up from the brake hub and wacking the bottom arm off, all no good. Got tired and serviced the carb instead :wink:

Will try my cousin's BFH tommorrow and see if it pops out. Otherwise off to Ivan and Gareth at Castle Hill :(

Managed to fix everything else other than the Pot Joints this weekend so she's looking good elsewhere :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:20 am 
religious status
religious status

Best ball joint splitter for Minis is the scissor type. Beware the Asian copies- many are crap. Mine's a good Pommy-made Sykes Pickavant... still works after 20+ years.. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:58 am 
1275cc
1275cc

I have both. When they are really tight i put the one with the bolt on it onvernight, and usually it pops off overnight some time. patience it the key ith ball joints. Don't hit the top of it with a hammer, you will bugger the thread. If you do at least use a punch.

Cheers

Aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:26 am 
1360cc
1360cc

I'll be looking at either a new ball joint splitter or the BFH method. My cousin is coming around tonight, he'll check it out and hopefully set me onto the right aproach...

Where should I go for a good ball joint splitter?

Else, $150 for both greased up and hassle free sounds pretty good at this point in time :lol:

You were right though Doc, I learnt a crap load! I am glad I attempted it myself. Let me see if I can finish the job :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:16 am 
1360cc
1360cc

Update:

Ok I managed to only split the easier steering arm ball joints and replaced the badly worn and torn boots to the steering rack. I squeezed in about 300mls of Perite hypoid SAE 90 oil until the boots could take no more, turned the steering wheel left and right a few times and pumped in some more. The metal boot ties that I have are crappy for hard to reach places. I had trouble just using plastic boot ties! anyway I will check the boots often now and replace/re-oil every so often.

I found out that my outer CVs are in decent nick. The boots look old though and should get replaced soon. Both inner CV boots are facked and in bad need of replacement.

I have tried calling around for the scissor type ball joint splitter, if I can't find it by the weekend I will have no choice but to take her to castle hill or ermington... I fear that my wheel bearings are in strife too...

Not over the hill yet for me :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:19 am 
1360cc
1360cc

Oh and the best part of all was that I found a few loose bolts where the rodchange connection under the engine! :shock: wow I am glad I spend the night under my mini :lol: