Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Console n boot trimmers?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:28 pm 
848cc
848cc

hi guys

was wondering has any of u guys eva builted your own custom made console or armrest? ive read so many post in other forums but cant seen to find any1 that has post the dimensions of the console or armrest - any addition info is greatly appreciated! :P

lastly i need recommendation from the peeps in victoria as to WHERE is good/cheap to get carpet "covering" for my boot?

thanks
guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:58 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Go get a sheet of MDF and let your imagination go wild! The stuff is cheap, even cheaper if ya can get onto some good sized offcuts!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:04 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

ryan23 wrote:
hi guys

was wondering has any of u guys eva builted your own custom made console or armrest? ive read so many post in other forums but cant seen to find any1 that has post the dimensions of the console or armrest - any addition info is greatly appreciated! :P

lastly i need recommendation from the peeps in victoria as to WHERE is good/cheap to get carpet "covering" for my boot?

thanks
guys
i made my oun, it wouldnt be much use to you tho cos its for an aussie clubby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:04 pm 
848cc
848cc

poeee wrote:
Go get a sheet of MDF and let your imagination go wild! The stuff is cheap, even cheaper if ya can get onto some good sized offcuts!

yeah tats what every1 used but ermm...i haven had exprience with MDF yet....

have u done a console b4?...what do u use to stick the MDF together...some sorta strong glue?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:08 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

ryan23 wrote:
poeee wrote:

yeah tats what every1 used but ermm...i haven had exprience with MDF yet....

have u done a console b4?...what do u use to stick the MDF together...some sorta strong glue?
u use liquid nails or consrtuction adhesive

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:32 pm 
848cc
848cc

I made a centre console for a landcruiser. Used MDF glued with white glue and screws, countersunk so the timber didn't split. Glued a layer of foam onto the outside and then with the help of my then partner, cut out and stitched using a good sewing machine the vinyl cover before gluing it down and using a heavy duty stapler where the staples wouldn't show. A nice piano hinge holds the lid on quite well.
If you take your time it can look qhite professional and not home made. Don't be afraid to have a go. You can only learn from your mistakes and remember, if at first you don't succeed.... it's good fun and hey, look on the bright side, it's another excuse to spend time in the garage/workshop, having a few drinks and mucking about with your mates in the name of mini restoration

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:36 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

I built a number of things outa MDF for my Mini. Very easy to work with! Use some chipboard screws and liquid nails.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:51 pm 
848cc
848cc

im getting a little excited now!

could u guys post sum pictures of the consoles that u guys bulit....i wanna see ur bright n joys - gives me an idea on how i should built mine

makes me wonder tho - where abts does the console sit on? the carpet? or does it go str8 to body? n how would u guys attach the bottom of the console to the carpet or body if i want access to remove the console in the future?....

Last edited by ryan23 on Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:13 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

I've never build a centre console like wat u want, but I would build it so it mounts to where the seats bolt to the floor. That means it can be taken out and you wouldnt even know it was ever in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:37 pm 
848cc
848cc

i got armrest! Look at what i improvised - lame but nevatheless :lol:

and for u guys whos lookin to built ur own console...check out this webby - hes yet to put up the dimensions but he reckon the template n measurenments will be all up within a couple of days

http://www.mini.co.uk.tt/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:23 pm 
848cc
848cc

sorry, I don't have pic. As for how to install it. I removed the seats and bolts a u shaped piece of metal to the floor. Drilled holes in each wing and spot welded two nuts on the inside. When putting console in, I just put two bolts through the sides of the console into the captive nuts and were hidden from view by the bucket seats. Basically did the same up front to hold it to the dash but was able to hide those bolts under the dash

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:20 am 
1098cc
1098cc

I always wondered whats the point of a console is anyways? Apart from reducing your legroom? Cupholders?
I reckon the mini looks so big inside because of the very minimalist interior. The moment you put something bulky in it often looks like a weird mini\Commodore combo.
Look at the original BMC parts, neither they nor Rover ever made consoles or dashes which protruded beyound the moulded cavity.

I reckon just put your efforts into making a really cool dash which can contain anythig that a console can anyways. But hey I start sounding like those heritage club snobs, so sorry.