Ausmini
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:15 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Steering Columns
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:34 pm 
998cc
998cc

Guys, after having the service done on my car, the one big thing the mechanic informed me of, was that the steering column in my clubby was able to move up and down.

If you find this problem, get a couple 7/16 spanners, and tighten the bolt up at the bottom of the steering column. (Inside the cab, right at the floor)

If it's not kept tight, it allows the splines to wear until eventually, it just dont work. I'm sure most of you like your mini coz it goes round corners well. If ya dont watch that, then it wont go round corners at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:52 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Thanks man! Come up a treat! Tho they gotta be done up HELLUVA TIGHT! Been wondering how to fix it for some time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:44 pm 
religious status
religious status

If you do it up real tight and it's still moving, take it off and have a look.

If the slot is closed up tight, put a hacksaw through it again so there's some gap to nip up. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 4:06 pm 
848cc
848cc

You don't get a lot of warning when those spines go, as i found out. I was driving home from work and remember thinking that the steering didn't feel quite as responsive as usual. Next morning, reversing out of the driveway, i pulled on the wheel only to find it spin more or less uselessly. Could be dangerous if you're going quick (which is what minis are for).

Seems to be fairly common. The bloke at Morris Mania, Adelaide reckoned he'd replaced about a dozen steering columns on minis for the same reason, and i think he only been in the business for less than a year.

The bolt at the base of my column was very tight, though, so maybe the slot had closed up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:23 pm 
998cc
998cc

Your idea has a lot of merit Dr Mini, but i would be wary of enlarging the gap considering the splines must be fairly well worn out if its allowing it to close up that much already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:16 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Out of interest (ignorance) is this the same for a roundnose..?

Post subject: YES!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:51 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

IwannaMini wrote:
Out of interest (ignorance) is this the same for a roundnose..?

Yep...this is one of the weakest design features in ALL Minis....I know FROM HARD EXPERIENCE :!:

If you have ever had steering failure at an appreciable rate of knots and lived to tell about it....then let me know :(

Listen to the Doc....the column needs to clamp the splines on the rack firmly....obviously...if the the splines in the column are stuffed then GET a REPLACEMENT COLUMN IMMEDIATELY :!:

Your idea has a lot of merit Dr Mini, but i would be wary of enlarging the gap considering the splines must be fairly well worn out if its allowing it to close up that much already.....SEE ABOVE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:11 pm 
religious status
religious status

Also check this if you ever get a rack changed. Baracade got his rack replaced, less than 24hrs later the car went straight ahead at a turn.. could have been real nasty.. :shock:
Spline on new rack (UK?) was slightly smaller than his old one.. and the column was that worn it had no gap where it's split, so was loose. :cry:

Be careful, people..