Ausmini
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:30 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:55 pm 
848cc
848cc

does anybody know how easy these are to fit???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:59 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Haven't fitted Metro discs however they aren't any more complicated than normal discs. Obviously you'll need the caliper to suit, but otherwise it's all the same old. Beware though that in most states Metro turbo discs will need an engineers certificate (as they were never fitted stock to Minis, unlike normal 8.4" Metro discs).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:59 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Mini wrote:
does anybody know how easy these are to fit???
u need mini disc hubs, metro turbo drive flanges, discs and 4 piston callipers , other than that not to hard to fit, you can fit them with metro hubs but adjustable suspension is needed to correct suspension geometry ;) you also need special brake hoses to convert to dual inlet rather than the standard single inlet of a mini ;)

Last edited by ausminis4u on Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:02 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Anto wrote:
Haven't fitted Metro discs however they aren't any more complicated than normal discs. Obviously you'll need the caliper to suit, but otherwise it's all the same old. Beware though that in most states Metro turbo discs will need an engineers certificate (as they were never fitted stock to Minis, unlike normal 8.4" Metro discs).
they were fitted as standard to era turbo minis m8 ;) so u shouldnt need an engineers certificate, how would joe blogs automotive know the difference anyway?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:05 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Well in that case you're okay (forgot about the ERAs). I'm not so concerned about it getting through rego, it just that it can be a pain when you crash into a Ferrari dealership, and suddenly your insurance is void!

Anto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:57 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Ferrari Dealership in Canberra? Sorry, couldn't resist. I have metro trubo vented 4 pots on mine without adjustable tie rod/camber bottom arms. Is that why my tyres where chewing out quickly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:02 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Yes we have a Ferrari dealership! They sell accessories such as key rings and clothing....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:27 am 
1275cc
1275cc

i've got the metro vented 4 pots on mine. Mini parts needed are disc hubs and disc cv's. Then add metro rotor,caliper and flange, join the two brake fluid outlets together and thats about it.
Yes metro hubs will eat your tyres very fast, they will have your tyres fighting against each other and also have a heap of toe out. It can be fixed with hi-los set them pretty high, but id just get the mini hubs, can get them new from uk now for $100aus each.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:33 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Hey Brad,

How do I know what variety of hub I have? I have a set of Hi Los there that I was going to chuck in anyway. Car needs to be nice and high to avoid tyres scraping the guards

JC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:41 am 
1275cc
1275cc

i think! dont quote me on this but the easiest way to tell is with the ball joints, the metro ones have a different type. Im sure the DR will be able to tell you when he sees this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:45 am 
1275cc
1275cc

stolen from another website: :D

There seems to be much confusion over the use of Metro hubs on the Mini.

Here are some comments on the subject.

The post-1984 Metro uses a different size top ball joint, which has a larger taper and will not fit the Mini upper arm. This can be solved by fitting a pre 1984 Metro top joint.

Although this will allow you to physically fit the hubs, the Metro suspension geometry is different to the Mini. This means that there will be enormous amounts of positive camber (the wheels will lean out at the top).

Some people (including high profile magazines) have suggested that fitting longer lower arms will get the wheel to the correct position. This may, indeed, get the wheel to somewhere near its original camber angle. But, this is taking a very simplistic view of suspension design. There is far more to it than just getting the wheel to the right angle in the static state. Suspension is, by its very nature, a dynamic device. It is important that the wheel behaves correctly throughout its motion. By using Metro hubs with longer lower arms, the ‘kingpin’ axis is still not the same as the original Mini. This means that, when the wheel is steered or the suspension is operated, it will move in a different manner to the way it should.

There is little point in getting into the technical details of what actually happens to the wheel, but it is fair to say that it won’t be as Issigonis intended it to be!

Our view is that the use of Metro hubs and longer lower arms should be avoided. If you do insist on using vented discs and 4 pot calipers, then start with Mini disc brake hubs. You can then build up the Metro vented discs, drive flanges and calipers without wrecking the excellent suspension geometry of your Mini. It works very well in standard form, why mess with it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:51 am 
1275cc
1275cc

and this:
:D
Things you definitely need to get hold of:
· Metro callipers
· Metro rotors
· Metro drive flanges
· Different brake hoses – either buy the Aeroquip conversion sets, or get your own made up

Things you will need it you’re converting from a drum set-up
· Mini disk brake CV joints (larger diameter splined shaft), the castellated nut and the conical washer thing that goes under the nut.
· Either Mini disk brake uprights (hubs) or the Metro uprights. Using Metro uprights can alter the suspension geometry somewhat, but not excessively. From memory it gives you more negative camber. This is probably the cheaper option, rather than buying Mini uprights from somewhere in Australia. If you choose to use the Metro uprights you will also possibly need to replace the ball joints on it. The later, vented Metro uprights have a different taper on the ball joint, and won’t fit in Mini suspension arms. Earlier Metro hubs had a nearly identical ball joint taper to the Mini, so you can buy the earlier Metro ones new, and replace the ball joints on the later upright. The Metro hubs also have different bearings. You will need to swap your drum hub’s steering arm with the Metro one too.
· Timkin taper bearings are always nice whatever you’re doing.
· A master cylinder with a larger reservoir is recommended, but not required unless you’re the type of person who only checks the fluid level when it’s time to change pads.

If you’re converting from drums, take the whole drum shebang off the car by undoing the castellated nut, splitting the upright’s ball joints and the steering arm ball joint and pull it off the car. Remove the driveshaft, change the CV joint over to the larger variety, and stick the shaft back into the diff.

The Metro drive flange will probably require some modification before you fit it to the car. See if you can bolt one of your wheels onto the driveflange face – chances are that the four strange sticking-out wheel-centering flanges on the face will interfere with your wheel bolting on completely flat. It is very important to check this otherwise you will break wheel studs. If the centering flanges in any way interfere, remove them in a lathe, or use an angle grinder if you’re a butcher. The studs in the driveflange are a bit longer than the usual mini ones – if you use domed wheel nuts (ie. for mag wheels) you may need to shorten or replace them. They have the identical thread to the Mini studs.

The upright can go back onto the car (don’t forget the bearing spacer if it’s a Mini upright – the Metro hub doesn’t need one). Hopefully the steering arms are compatible with your rack – otherwise you might have to get different tie rod ends.

The whole Metro hybrid rotor/hub goes together quite easily – the rotor bolts straight onto the driveflange, and the whole lot slides back onto the driveshaft. Put the cone washer on and tighten the castellated nut to 150ftlb. If there’s any play in the hub after doing this your upright is probably stuffed and you’ll have to either shorten the bearing spacer or ensure the bearing outers don’t move, or both.

The callipers bolt straight onto the uprights. The metric internal diameters of the calliper-mounting holes are slightly larger than should be used with the Imperial bolt, but they seem to have held up OK on mine with the proper torque. If you get the Aeroquip hose kit the hydraulic hook-up is quite easy provided that your brake lines aren't split on the ends from previous butchers overtightening brake fittings in the past. I had trouble and on advice from my friendly PBR man (I still don’t know if he was being smutty or not) used silver solder to build up the ends of the male fittings to ensure a perfect seal.

The pads fit into the calliper with a retaining plate and 2 big split pins. If you like gimmicks you’d like the Metro pads – they have a couple of wires sticking out the top of them with a plug that you can rig up to a light or whatever to tell you when they’re getting thin.

Bleeding the system isn’t too bad, just a bit tedious – each calliper has three bleed nipples. If you’re converting from drums this is also the time to check your rear brake cylinders – you will probably need to replace them with smaller diameter Cooper or LS ones to correct brake bias. The brake bias can be checked – have a test drive and stamp on the brakes while cornering – if you end up facing the wrong way you’ll need to do something about it.

When I got my brake setup, it looked like the whole lot had been sitting at the bottom of the sea for fifty years. If I had seen them on an Aussie car at the wreckers I wouldn’t have bought them. Things must go rusty a lot faster in England, because once I’d removed the pistons from the callipers they looked as good as new in the inside and the pistons had no rust at all. Spare parts like pistons, rotors, seals and pads can be sourced from NSW mini places like Karcraft and Mini Kingdom for about the same cost as the Cooper S items, but ring around for prices as they vary considerably.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:30 am 
1360cc
1360cc

Is that ripped from the MINISPARES site? If not, there is a write up on there. I dont have the link and cant be bothered finding it at the moment, sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:33 am 
848cc
848cc

Just go to calvers corner on mini spares

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:20 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Don't you need at least 12" wheels to fit metro brakes??