Ausmini
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:54 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:34 pm 
NAV-MAN

Well it is definately head gasket related as there is coolant in number two cyl :evil:
I warmed it for a compression test and i got (after loosing 1 more litre of coolant)
#1 142psi or 1000kpa
#2 180psi or 1250kpa :shock:
#3 146psi or 1010kpa
#4 153psi or 1060kpa
These figures are what i can best make out on the crappy thing i have but show the
problem pretty well i think
What pressures should i expect with a standard 998+40thou overbore?
Now obviously there is something wrong with #2 but wouldn't it read lower from the pressure bleeding into the cooling system? Could it be that the exhaust or inlet valves are not opening properly? What are the common causes for gasket failure. I had the head re-tensioned (by the engine builder) a couple of days after getting the car mobile again, they added coolant then which i'm told attacks new gaskets if they haven't had time to seal(harden?) properly could this be the case here?
Fingers crossed it is only a blown gasket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:36 pm 
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK

looking at them i dont think it is a head gasket i think there is a problem with the head
makka

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:42 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

#2 180psi or 1250kpa

Could be because a small amount of incompressible water is there when you whack the gauge in - could be valves sticking compounding the problem..... If it was me, I wouldn't do very much more engine turning :roll:

The adding coolant should not have been a problem if it was when you came back to have the head retorqued...straight after you fitted the gasket ...maybe

At least you don't have to worry about finding the problem anymore :shock: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:32 pm 
998cc
998cc

I'll agree with Makka on this.

The fact that the plug is black and OILY concerns me, since coolant has been found in the pot as well.

I wouldnt be surprised if there is a crack found, or if the head has erosion between the water jacket and the cylinder. 0.040 overbore shouldnt have gone anywhere close to breaking into the waterjacket.

I'd have the car back to the workshop on the back of a truck. Coolant in the cylinder could lock hydraulically, causing massive damage at the worst, or (like I had happen to me) coolant running down and mixing with the oil in the sump. If that happens then you can end up with damaged bearings etc.

Or ya could be lucky and have a dud head gasket.......... Fingers Crossed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:25 am 
NAV-MAN

Thanks guys for your replies. I haven't had the rocker cover off but i won't worry about it now and i'll mention the high pressure and coolant in no#2 cyl when it goes in on monday first thing.
If its a head gasket they should pay for the tow as well shouldn't they?(warranty)
Hopefully there is no crack in the head(no warranty). When he showed me the engine stripped down the water jackets didn't look bad at all so who knows eh?

But thanks again ppls