Ausmini
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:26 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Crankcase breather's
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:58 am 
998cc
998cc

Anybody else here that doesnt have a breather on their engine??

I was wondering why the hell I kept getting all the emulsification under my oil filler cap, till that was pointed out. I've got the PCV and hose back to the air filter, but it doesnt seem to be helping the matter out one bit.

I just keep wiping the slime out once a week :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:56 pm 
998cc
998cc

If you have a 1275 You should have a crank case breather on the clutch housing end.

This should go to the car of have a Filter on it.

I also have a breather Oil filler cap on mine and I never get any slim on the cap at all.

You should alwasy breath the engine from the crank case not from the tappet cover as this does not aloow the oil to run down the push rod holes thus filling up the cover with oil.

What Is It

A Bloody Mini

1970 Mini K, 1380cc, 1.75 HIF SU, 30 70 Cam, 2" Zorts
1969 Mini K, Stock Standard and Orginal. (Slow as Hell)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:42 pm 
religious status
religious status

When I binned the 1100S type PCV Smiths valve, I ran a hose from the clutch housing breather to a 1L oil bottle, and another from the rocker cover to same. Bottle has 2x 7/8" holes sawed in it near the top to vent it.
In 18 months I've got FA in the bottle, no mayo in the rocker cover, it's all good! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:17 pm 
998cc
998cc

hmmmmmmm, okies. Now since the block on mine hasnt been drilled out, how do I manage to modify it without dumping a heap of swarf into it? I'm thinking this could also be contributing to the engine running hotter than it really should.

I'm outstripped for working on a mini. I've got a stuffed back, and really aint that confident on messing with something that will cost a fortune to repair if I screw it up. Even my stereo is gonna be out of warranty before I get it fitted :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:24 pm 
religious status
religious status

Don't drill it in the car! :oops:
I did once- apart from breaking thru into the clutch housing :shock: I was getting alloy swarf out of the motor for ages...

If you got electric fuel pump, put a breather on the fuel pump flange on block. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:44 pm 
998cc
998cc

Nope, mechaincal fuel pump is sitting right there pumping it's little heart away still.

Thinking of all the bodgy crap that was done for this engine install, I'm amazed the dude paid 4300 bucks for it. I'm beginning to get REAL pissed off with all the work the local butcher did when he fitted this engine. I might just send the original 1100 to Toowoomba, and get it bombed to the hilt.

Goddamit, everything that needs to be done to my car needs for it to be off the road for more than a weekend. It's my only car, and cant afford that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:37 pm 
religious status
religious status

Well I'd say U got 2 choices to fit a decent breather..

Either lift the motor, take off the flywheel housing, drill it out 5/8" or bigger (and tap 2 5/16" holes for a flange) and refit, or-

Go buy an electric pump. I reckon the solid state ones are great, are cheaper than an SU one, and have no points.. if you put a kill switch on it it's a good security feature too!

Yeah, they are a bit noisy, but mine's mounted in rubber and I can't hear it with the motor running. :wink:

In the interim I'd just stick a 1/2" hose from the rocker cover to a 1L ventilated oil bottle. Better than nothing, and you can see what (if anything) comes out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:29 pm 
998cc
998cc

yeah, I reckon I'll be going the fuel pump way. Kills two birds with one stone(good for an alarm and ventilate the crankcase).

The hose from my rocker cover at the moment is obviously doin stuff all, so I'll have to organise somethin soon.

Any recommendation on flow rate, and pressure??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:48 pm 
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK

what carb carbs are you running
makka

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:54 pm 
the King of Bling

Are you sure the hose is not blocked

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:14 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Just a quick query you do have a vented cap? My engine has a rocker cover breather and a tappet cover breather but it used to sludge up really bad, once I fitted a vented cap it was fixed (don't know why a non-vented cap was there in the first place though).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:25 pm 
religious status
religious status

PhildoD wrote:
yeah, I reckon I'll be going the fuel pump way. Kills two birds with one stone(good for an alarm and ventilate the crankcase).

The hose from my rocker cover at the moment is obviously doin stuff all, so I'll have to organise somethin soon.

Any recommendation on flow rate, and pressure??

Just use 3/8 hose minimum, 1/2" is better.

15/32" vacuum hose is good- doesn't kink and it stands oil better.

The ones onto a ramflo don't work as the filter foam blocks it. Stick it in a bottle instead.. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:52 pm 
998cc
998cc

drmini in aust wrote:
The ones onto a ramflo don't work as the filter foam blocks it. Stick it in a bottle instead.. 8)

Bingo, I'm running that poxy lil 1 1/4 and ramflo foam filter, and the pipe runs straight into the back of the filter. The standard plastic oil filler cap is also fitted.

My engine bay is gonna have more botles in it, than spark plugs soon :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:00 pm 
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK

sounds like it is a single 1 1/4 carb the standard elec pump will be cool
makka

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:12 pm 
religious status
religious status

I wouldn't fit a poxy SU elec pump unless the car is `heritage' :lol:
A Facet/Purolator/TRW solid state pump throws enough fuel to keep my 45 Dellorto happy.. cheaper than SU pump too.
No ^*%# points in it either.. :P