Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:00 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:31 am 
1098cc
1098cc

Hello everybody, good to see normality coming back after recent events (<--- pointless comment as a starter tool to show that I care and not only come here when I need something).

So obviously the result is lots more frustration (sexual and otherwise) and a bottom dash rail covered in tiny tears - not the crying type but the ripping the vinyl apart with a screwdriver type.

[bold] Where can I get it reapholstered in vinyl (good and cheap preferably) and how much would it hurt approximately? How hard is it toI dot myself? has anyone tried?

Also How do you install those Riley Elf Veneer dashes - I was trying to install it too and cant find the spots to mount it and the right position for it.

Where can I reveneer the dash - is it possible at home?

Last edited by Mike on Tue May 17, 2005 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:02 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Riley Elf dashboard simply attach over the central speedo. They don't attach to any part of the car, but rely on gravity to hold them in (mine always used to fall into my lap on acceleration :) )
Reveneering is an interesting question. It is what I am *trying* to do to mine. However, veneering round the bends in the dash is tricky (I'm told soaking the veneer in ammonia can soften it up) and veneering round the speedo hole can be tricky, depending on the style of dash.
It can be done at home, however a degree of experience in this type of thing would help - which I don't have hence why my wood dashboard is in storage at the moment!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:53 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Mike wrote:
Hello everybody, good to see normality coming back after recent events (<--- pointless comment as a starter tool to show that I care and not only come here when I need something).

Anyways, I was trying to install a 1970's Autoplas dash but when I took everything apart I realised that the lovely monkey of a previous owner (aren't they all) welded the top and bottom dash rails to the body (they werent welded originaly were they?)
But being single and full of sexual frustration and since I bought all the gauges to go in the dash already and was searching for it in the UK for 4 months I decided to try and install it anyway.
So obviously the result is lots more frustration (sexual and otherwise) and a bottom dash rail covered in tiny tears - not the crying type but the ripping the vinyl apart with a screwdriver type.

[bold] Where can I get it reapholstered in vinyl (good and cheap preferably) and how much would it hurt approximately? How hard is it toI dot myself? has anyone tried?

Also How do you install those Riley Elf Veneer dashes - I was trying to install it too and cant find the spots to mount it and the right position for it.

Where can I reveneer the dash - is it possible at home?

it is pretty easy to cover in vinyl
do you have a compressor and heat gun ? where are you located ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:51 am 
1098cc
1098cc

No and no - do I need them to apply the vinyl (I guess heat gun to get the vinyl to spread? but compressor?

I'm in Coogee, Eastern burbs - I think I was talking to you a while ago about buying some parts but never got to it since the car went to the mechanic for two weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:34 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Mike wrote:
No and no - do I need them to apply the vinyl (I guess heat gun to get the vinyl to spread? but compressor?

I'm in Coogee, Eastern burbs - I think I was talking to you a while ago about buying some parts but never got to it since the car went to the mechanic for two weeks.
a heat gun is for heating and stretching the vinyl and a compressor is for applying the contact adhesive to glue the vinyl on

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:49 am 
848cc
848cc

so would that mean that us dodgy people could just normal contact adhesive? the kind of stuff u get in a caulking gun? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:44 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

So without those two the job would be shite? Should I rent them or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:33 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

tzi wrote:
so would that mean that us dodgy people could just normal contact adhesive? the kind of stuff u get in a caulking gun? :?
i think u r thinking of liquid nails lol , u can get contact adhesive in aerosol form , just cheaper if u have a compressor. a heat gun is deffinately needed tho maybbe i could help u do it 1 wekend or sumfin?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:27 pm 
848cc
848cc

Our local Spoiler shop sells a product for customising the interiour of you car thats a film that can be moulded with a hair dryer. Comes in 7 (I think) different styles: Silver Carbon fibre, Black Carbon fibre, Brushed Aluminium, Walnut, Teak, etc, etc and a few different colour vinyl finishes. Might be worth a look. Ive not actually seen anyone use it but the results in the shop looked quite good and they said its easy to use. No idea what its called or costs though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:43 am 
1098cc
1098cc

ausminis4u wrote:
i think u r thinking of liquid nails lol , u can get contact adhesive in aerosol form , just cheaper if u have a compressor. a heat gun is deffinately needed tho maybbe i could help u do it 1 wekend or sumfin?

I reckon you've got yourself a date - if you already didnt gather what I want from my fake "should I rent them or something" comment.

I might pick u that heater from you too if you still got it.

I think I've got your number too.

Cheers
Michael

Post subject: Dash covering
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:45 pm 
848cc
848cc

I re-covered the top dash of my old clubbie van with vinyl and contact adhesive, it was a sh*t of a job, but came up great in the end.

As for re-veneering, Bunnings (Victorian hardware chain) sell sheets of wood veneer that you iron on (literally). It is pre-glued (heat activated).

I did my old Deluxe's dash with it, it's real wood, comes in varying grains/wood types, but varnished up nicely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:49 am 
1098cc
1098cc

How do you remove the old veneer? (I dunno anything about woodwork).

Post subject: Veneer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:07 am 
848cc
848cc

Yeah, luckily it was sun damaged and split, so I was able to get a thin metal scraper under it in most places, took quite a while, but the end result was worth it. Orbital sanders are great for the tidying up.

I basically left the speedo area's champhered egde as it was, no idea how you'd be able to do the circular and angled bit... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:59 pm 
848cc
848cc

In regards to the veneer, it would all depend on what sort of veneer you would like to apply. you can get burr walnut (the standard swirly grain) which is beautiful but due to the nature of burr timber (that of which is from a defective part of the tree) it tends to break when you bend it..

if you go with a walnut or otherwise which is designed as a timber veneer for internal domestic purposes it will usually be very flexible and have an adhesive back that when heated will assist with adhesion.. its simply a case of putting in place then using a hot iron and dry tea towel to make the veneer stick perfectly.. this type of veneer should comfortably do a 6mm radius edge without cracking..

failing that you can use a product called kwik grip which is made by selleys .. it comes in a maroon tin (500ml 1L etc) and is a very strong contact adhesive especially designed for laminating or veneer applications such as this one..

in regards to the vinyl you can use a product called gel grip made by selleys again but is more flexible and will tend to dry spongy so not to make the vinyl go like a peice of plywood :) it comes in a green tin and same sizes as prementioned kwik grip..

both of the adhesives are about 10$ per litre and the veneer can cost around 50$ for a sheet large enough to redash the mini...

if you have any other questions ask away, oh btw i work at bunnings ;o)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 6:01 pm 
848cc
848cc

unfortunately to remove the old veneer its just a scraper (like a spak filler applicator, metal edged putty knife type) and alot of elbow grease.. dont worry so much if you make a few grooves with the knife cos you willl cover that with the veneer :)