Ausmini
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Which oil to use?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:06 am 
848cc
848cc

Hello!

I'm brand new, and have a few questions.

I bought a '68 morris mini (998) this past weekend and was wondering what oil is recommended to use it in?

What's the best way to flush the radiator? There is a lot of gunk in it. Is it worth taking the whole thing out, or just disconnecting hoses?

Can someone point me at a guide for tuning the carbie?

Thanks in advance, I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:08 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Which oil to use depends on engine condition / budget etc. If the engine is crap / drinks a lot of oil then just use Castrol GTX. Especially if it drinks a LOT of oil coz you'll be forever topping it up!
I use Penrite HPR40 in my motor, which is a 25w70. I used slightly thicker grade to attempt to stop it leaking oil through the valve stem seals but it hasn't made any difference... maybe I should just get off my fat arse and reco the head.

I haven't bothered flushing my rad before, but in my opinion you have two options. One is to just shove a hose in the top and blast water through it, the other is to take the radiator out and reverse flush it - blast water through the top and then through the bottom, basically.

What sort of carb? A single SU is relatively simple - in this case the service manual actually has an okay guide. Remember that before touching the carb it is best to service the rest of the engine - check timing, ignition, points etc etc. Chances are your carb wont need touching - except maybe for a replacement filter.
Whilst doing an oil change check the carb damper oil level. Simply unscrew the black plunger on top of the carb, and pull it out. When you put it back in you should feel some resistance before the cap reaches the thread. If not, put some oil in there also.

Anto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:42 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

I use Castrol Formula R 25W-50, which "the doc" (as he's known as) recomended me. It's not expensive either, $24.29 from supercheap (I have the reciept here infront of me!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:16 pm 
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK

mineral based oil for the mini motor never use synthetics it breaks down to easy and can ruin the gear box if you have a lot of gunk in the rad you may want to use a flush in the radiator and after useing it replace all the water hose's
makka

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:28 pm 
religious status
religious status

I use Castrol Formula R 25W/50 (was called GP50)- it's good stuff. Penrite is OK too, either HPR30 or HPR40.

Really, any decent 20W/50 will do.

DO NOT RUN PENRITE HPR50 (40W/70). It is so thick when cold that the primary gear will not let go of the crank.. :x
I once put this in my son's POS worn out 998 Clubby- I then couldn't get into first gear even, because of the drag! He absolutely had to go out with his chick in 1/2 hour (as you do) so I drained a litre or so out and topped it up with diesel fuel.. :P Made a good flushing oil... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:39 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

lol... yep, diesel is good for cleaning an engine out! When I got my Mini K, we drained all the oil, and filled it with diesel. Let the engine idle for 5odd mins and drained it. It cleans all the muck out of the engine, and a must for an engine that has been sitting for 10 years!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:58 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

OIL - general rule, 10W-40 for manuals
20W-40 for automatics

1. DO NOT use oil that has "friction modifed" or "synthetic" on it. they are very slippery and only good for the Engine and it's Pistons.
a mini has its gearbox in its engine compartment/sump. they use the same oil. the new oils have special slippery additives which wont allow your gears to engage properly.

2. at first, i put Castrol 25W-60 "thicker oil for older cars". this was fine, i used it for about 3 months. because it was thick, i had trouble starting the car, once it was running, everything was ok. no harm in doing so. $17/6L.
- Anto makes a good point, use a safe cheap oil to top up-

3. oil in my car right now is Penrite Classic Light SAE30 or 20W-50 (good for automatics). its perfect, starts nicely, the sound is heavenly. i get this from a warehouse, no one sells it in the shops. $25.30/5L.
Penrite Classic Medium SAE40 (thicker) is what you'd want to use in a Manual, but it's $30/5L and pretty much no shops stock this.

4. if you want an oil thats easier to get, try Penrite HPR30, which is about $28/5L. some shops have started to stock this, its worth the wait.

you can see many people recommend Penrite, i havent met anyone (thats not too many) who have said a bad thing about Penrite.

5. automatics use about 5100 mL of oil,
manuals use about 4950mL of oil (im told)

RADIATOR
1. taking it out - is a pain to do, while its out, you can inspect it better. no real advantages there, unless you are determined you need a whole new radiator. thats if you know what to look for

2. Flushing It.
the radiator is not made of steel, probably Brass or something. it does not rust or corrode.
most of the gunk comes from the engine and within and clogs the tiny tubes in the radiator.
a) disconnect all hoses
b) use hose to flood/spray into top hole of engine block
c) use hose to flood/spray into bottom hole of engine block
d) flood radiator as well
e) connect all hoses again
f) get yourself some radiator/engine cleaning chemical
g) follow the instructions, leave it in for 30minutes, etc

3. while you're at it, check to see if there's a thermostat (on the engine block, under the triangular metal shield just after the top radiator hose). $7 thermostat plus gasket (remember the gasket and glue) and all my overheating problems were solved.

TUNING
im shithouse at tuning my carby, dad does it for me.
he adjusts
i) the needle depth
ii) the hole depth that the needle goes into
iii) the screw that pushes onto the accelerator cable (idling speed adjuster?)

a) fiddle with the needle mainly (push 0.3mm in at a time) IN for more petrol, OUT for less petrol.
b) start car and let idle for 1 minute. if it dies out then too little fuel.
c) check one spark plug. black means too much fuel
d) after its not black, then you can begin to adjust that little screw (no need for dismantling the carby, its a little phillips head crew with a spring underneath it and it relates to the acceleration cable somehow next to the carby bottle)
OUT for quietest, fuel economy, engine dying sometimes
IN for louder, faster, etc.

hope this helps, bloody oath i type too much

Post subject: Timing
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:38 am 
848cc
848cc

How hard is it to check/adjust the timing and how long will it take me?

Is it likely to be out?

I've got the Gregories service manual, but haven't looked into the engine bay to see how difficult it is yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:16 am 
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK

from the time a motor is started it will never get a true timing cos the chain will slowly strech
makka

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:58 am 
848cc
848cc

just use the old oil from ur parents car if they still have it lying around in old containers