Ausmini
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:16 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hey,

My fuel guage and water temp gauges read a little low so I rule out so I have a hunch that it might be the voltage stabilizer in my binnicle. Whats the best way to test the voltage its supplying and what should it read? I've heard that you can't use a multimeter because its a mechanical switching type regulator (pcm versus pwm?).

There's also a possibility my fuel level float is on the way out and coincidently I have a dodgy water temp sender....

Any suggestions?

dewey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:18 pm 
religious status
religious status

It's supposed to give 10V. An analog volt meter might be better than a DVM but try it if U got it- you won't hurt anything.

My experience is they either work or go open circuit, anyway.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:17 pm 
998cc
998cc

gotta agree with Dr Mini there, when I got mine, they werent reading at all. Found the damn thing had burnt out, so I just cleaned the contacts, and touched up some bad connections on the PCB. My gauges read a bit high, but at least they work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 11:11 pm 
848cc
848cc

yeah i dunno whats doing cause I got the temp sender from a mini shop in toowoomba so I woulda throught it would be the right sender... the temp guage sits on the very low temp end when its warmed up and running... like right where the reading starts. If I sit at lights on a hot day it starts to move up towards the 1/2 way mark which is where I thought it should normally sit for a 'normal' temperature...

spose I should just live with it...

dewey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:01 am 
religious status
religious status

If you use a Clubby sender in a K it will read low. The right one for a K or MiniMatic has a red plastic ring around it. I've had this problem in mine... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:18 am 
848cc
848cc

yeah my sender is a 'red' one.

My oil pressure guage reads low as well but I'm pretty sure that is a separate issue with the guage cause I've tested the oil pressure with a separate unit at the mechanics.

I hope the speedo isn't reading low too.. cause I'm always 5mi over the limit... plus I usally round down when converting to km :twisted:

dewey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:29 am 
998cc
998cc

The biggest problem with temp senders is that ya can buy two from the same shop, and the damn things will give ya different readings.

I've bought temp senders before, that didnt even work from brand new.

Bloody frustrating having something so simple go screwy.

I've also found when buying em for a mini, that a lot of temp senders are designed for full scale aftermarket gauges. They might have the right thread, but at operating temp they have the gauge jammed all the way to the top.