It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:51 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

supercharged 850 wrote:
Thats a tricky little topic....

I must say that a MINI with a BMW motor in it ISN'T a mini, being that it is a different car altogether...... but in the classic bodyshapes, i'm not one to be against engine swaps..

At the end of the day, if you own a mini with a different engine in it (eg. Honda), you wont be saying "i drive a mini...", you'd probably say "i drive a VTEC mini..." to point out that something is different under the bonnet.... and it takes over $10,000 to get the word VTEC in there!!!

I agree with DEWEY in that upspec models, such as coopers and 1275GT's, should be kept in their original glory, as they were limited in production..... not that a fully restored 850 wouldnt be cool too!!!!

Minis with engine swaps are great, but not compareable to other minis....
no mini has ever had a bmw motor in it :P the new gen mini motor is built by chrisler whick makes it a bit funnier lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:16 pm 
religious status
religious status

Yeah, it's a bit of a mongrel, isn't it...
Motor is built in Brazil by Chrysler (actually it's related closely to the European 1.6L Neon), the `S' 6 speed geabox is built by Citroen I believe, and the car is screwed together in the UK...

Nice car, pity about the price. I'll take a black WRX instead, thanks! :lol:
Or maybe a Renault Clio Sport (was just as fast round Wakefield Pk and only $33,000) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:18 pm 
848cc
848cc

mm tough one, while i own a 62 cooper with a lovely a series and a good old su on top i cant help but wonder what if.. i mean you cannot beat the sound of an original gear box screaming away and that is why i have 2 minis one for the lovely mini classic feel and one to do mindlessly quick speeds and not have to tune every couple of weeks and change the oil every 3000ks .... i saw my mums car get serviced and the oil was in a waste canister on the bench and i said "is that the oil from the car" the mechanic replied "its the most burnt oil i have ever seen,, no wonder your mother is having problems." the scary thing was that the oil that came out was about the quality of oil that i put in and pay through the teeth for... i say unless it will cure bad odours (charcoal) when you take it out. its still good !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:53 pm 
848cc
848cc

fuz wrote:
mm tough one, while i own a 62 cooper with a lovely a series and a good old su on top i cant help but wonder what if.. i mean you cannot beat the sound of an original gear box screaming away and that is why i have 2 minis one for the lovely mini classic feel and one to do mindlessly quick speeds and not have to tune every couple of weeks and change the oil every 3000ks .... i saw my mums car get serviced and the oil was in a waste canister on the bench and i said "is that the oil from the car" the mechanic replied "its the most burnt oil i have ever seen,, no wonder your mother is having problems." the scary thing was that the oil that came out was about the quality of oil that i put in and pay through the teeth for... i say unless it will cure bad odours (charcoal) when you take it out. its still good !

Fuz, are you the guy on the PF forums that is about to put a rotor in to your brick?
If so have you got any pics, would love to see how its going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:25 pm 
848cc
848cc

Isn't this precisely why Clubmans exist - so we CAN fit something better in there ??
And the fact they are ugly lets us not worry when we take to em with an angle grinder !!
(let the abuse commence)
Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:02 pm 
848cc
848cc

To say a mini isnt a mini with out the mini motor is a bit of an oxymorron. If you really think about it the Aseries eng Wasn't designed for the mini. In all fact the eng came from its predesesors, such as the Austins. So to say a mini isnt a mini without the mini motor is to say there is no mini(alright now i'm confused). I'll just end with saying I'm all for doing whats nessesary to keep the mini's on the roads and not the scap heep or in the museums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:59 am 
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK

seams to be to many narrow minded fools here i thought we were here to talk about the greatest car ever mini is a mini same but different that is why i own both cos i know it is about the car not the hype or the bullshit
makka

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:07 pm 
848cc
848cc

I guess it's personal choice. Me, I like the A series and standard body shells (Clubby or Roundnose) however I like to see lots of engine and suspension mods.