Ausmini
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Wash Polish Wax Query
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:15 am 
1275cc
1275cc

ive bought myself some Meguiars Wash and Meguiars Polish and am going to wash and polish my car tomorrow following the instructions.

is there something i should be doing to get a good finish? my car has had a flow coat in two pac (i think) and this is the first time im washing my car since i got it 7months ago.

what do you fellas use on your cars?

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:23 am 
848cc
848cc

I use T-Cut to cut it back, and some Mothers product to polish it.
Generally make sure you read the instructions properly ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:18 am 
1098cc
1098cc

I'd use some time and wash the car more often.

I reckon you can use dishwashing liquid or depleted plutonium armour as long as you wash your car more often than once every seven months. Dirt gets engrained (is that even a real word) into the paint over and rust builds up under collected dirt in the sills wings and under the car. Wash out all the dirt from under the car. And wash it regularly (though I dont like the cutting products).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:27 am 
848cc
848cc

7 months is a long time between drinks!

I wouldn't use a cut every time.... if you wash your car regularly you'd hardly ever need to cut. If you maintain the wax then it shouldn't ever really be necessary...

When applying the wax, keep in mind that about 99.9% of it comes back off when you polish it so my rule of thumb is the less I put on, the less I have to take off. Its a pain in the arse buffing for ages when you've loaded up the wax.

dewey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:46 am 
998cc
998cc

Umm, I think it's about a month after paint has gone on that ya shouldnt wash your car for. time for paint to harden blah blah blah. But dont use dishwashing detergent or laundry detergent, as they have a very high salt content, and will promote rust in all the crevices.

If its the first time you've washed the car since ya bought it. I'd suggest getting it up on a hoist, and hitting underneath with a good water blaster, and getting all the grease and gunk out that accumulates over time before ya wash the car. If ya stick yer finger under the rear radius arm(just in front of the back wheels) in the little spot there, you'll find it all clagged up.

Give the car a good long tub, then worry about the protective coating once its all nice and neat. I like solid parrafin personally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:38 am 
1275cc
1275cc

it seems like im neglectful of my car, i reckon he just didnt need the frequent washings
sorry i forgot to mention a couple of things:

i drive the car about once a week (go to uni by train)
its gone in the rain about 5 times
ive hosed the car down a couple of times
ive waxed the car with wax a couple of times too
and yesterday i took off both rear wheels and took to the gunk with a screwdriver and a wire brush (about a kilo of soil/grease/sand was found)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:37 pm 
998cc
998cc

Yup, I found about the same on mine hehehehehehe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:30 pm 
848cc
848cc

I just washed, waxed and polished the chrome. It took me an hour and twenty minutes... I reckon I'm pretty slow at it, I've got a routine down but it still takes ages.

How long does it take everybody else and whats your standard wash involve?

dewey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:03 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

I wash with Meguiars Gold Class, then occassionally use Hi-Tech Yellow Wax, again Meguiars. Windows get Meguiars window cleaner. Chrome gets "Purple" polish (fantastic). Seals and vinyl gets Meguiars Trim Detailer. Leather gets a damp wipe over. Tyres get Meguiars Endurance tyre shine

Takes a full day usually.

mutant mini 1380cc '73 UK imp-Chroma Lusion-leather interior-8 x 300W Diamond Audio Dual Voice Coil 8" subs, Phoenix Gold 4 chnl amp, Pioneer 7550 DVD, 2x Phoenix Gold A1.800d MonoBlock Amp, Focal Utopia splits, 14" chrome rims 195/40/14 tyres

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:46 pm 
998cc
998cc

Probably cheaper just to get a new safety cutout switch with the key.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:49 pm 
848cc
848cc

They're 25 bucks at the local supershite... which I'm not willing to pay for an item that would cost a maximum of 5 bucks to produce and import.

I'm going to have a shot at making one...

dewey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:34 pm 
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK

i can do a prime mover in 2 hours
makka

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:12 pm 
religious status
religious status

I just wash mine with a bucket and Amway car wash (bottle is at least 5 years old, haha..) then rinse it. The Sydney water restrictions are a PITA, as we have to use a bucket, can't hose it. But they don't specify HOW to use a bucket, so.. I've rigged a bucket with a 12V, 350GPH bilge pump in it. :P - I can rinse a Mini properly with 1 bucket now, not 7.. 8)

On the very odd occasions when I feel the need to polish the POS paintwork, I just use Turtle Wax.. :wink:

The Contessa wheels and bumpers- I hit 'em with Meguiars or Mothers metal polish, sometimes...