Ausmini
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Wipers and dizzy cap
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:17 am 
1098cc
1098cc

Sorry its me again. Thought since I ask so many questions i'll group them together.

I've been playing with the dash lately so all the switches have been disconnected a few times. Now the wipers behave erraticaly, they sometimes park if turned off on the down stroke or go to park and rise a little, but never park if turned off on the up stroke. As far as I know all connections are ok and no other changes were made

My car is 1970 and the wiper motor is dated '69 and I heard that some 1970 cars were fitted with 2 speed motors but given only 1 speed conections, is there a way to find out?

I went to Karkraft on Thursday to buy some leads and a new dizzy cap. We screwed around for a while witht the cap, they gave me a 25D one first and I walked out and then remembered to look in the box, then I bought side entry but they didnt have the right leads, then when I got the right looking cap I had to get to uni as fast as I could so didnt really look at it properly bla bla bla
Now when I did check it it looks just like the right one but is too small and doesnt cover the dist. Its a 45D w/o vacum advance and the cap is like a slightly smaller version of the old one doesnt look like a 25D one - so whats going on? Are they saving money now by shrinking stuff or is my lazy and oily lifestyle on the ede of obesity has infected my dizzy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:21 am 
1275cc
1275cc

thats too many questions for this time of the morning, Mike.... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:36 am 
848cc
848cc

My windscreen wipers stop where ever I turn them off. I thought this was a factory standard... it makes it so hard to use them in an intermittent mannor that I don't even bother anymore. Every time I want to stop the wipers I have to time it on the down stroke so that the friction stops them right on the bottom of the window... the height at which I have to flick the switch also changes depending on how much water is on the window.

The bain of my existence!

Regarding the dizzy cap.... I would take the cap in with you and get one that's exactly the same. Nice & Simple.

dewey
---------------------
Does anybody have a spare one of those Red Key's for the generic style 'battery isolator' you get from supercheap et al. I lost mine in the surf!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:38 pm 
religious status
religious status

Dewey, the only Mini here with non-self-parking wipers was the 850.

The last of the Cooper S's had 2 speed wipers, but I don't know if the wiper toggle switch was an ordinary headlamp one or a special..

If they don't park, you need to check the switch under the cover, and the connections where the cable plugs in.

Phil, Dewey is right- there's so many dizzy caps- I'd take the old with you unless you know what it is. :wink: