Ausmini
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:26 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:52 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

From a Mini friend in NZ who is going through a rough patch....including recovering from an Angle Grinder attack! (be careful out there people!)

http://www.priceofhistoys.com/simon/page11.html

Hi Coba , Yes its the same machine registered as a roadgoing car as GG6
plate but then used as a racing car, Malcolm crashed it on testing at
Manfeild Racetrack & broke his foot, he lost total brakes at high speed, the pin fell out of the cylinder to peddle. I think it was the first car to ever
go off the track at that corner & end up on the road to the pits (had no hand brake or reverse gear to save weight as per the regs ) weight wet is
about 430kg which is pretty good .

It was a new car imported from UK new to New Zealand. Malcolm road
tested one in UK & placed an order over there. I got it when Malcolm got aa top mini7 to race but he was never a good racer ever, set fasted lap @
pratice then end up last in the pack when racing. I got it within weeks of
buying the rally mini group II car.

It has been extensively modified, before I got it & yes I have the MANZ
LOG BOOK from i think 1973.

It is fitted with six stud magnesium Mags (Lotus made, I think with a set
of slicks & wets for the back with Mcnallys very wide mini mags up front. S discs up front. 3" high windscreen, 6 point harness, fitted with 3 diff noise cones, one snub type for hill climbing & ally wedge wing & a March 77B formula Pacific old one, has front mounted radiator as always overheated.

I raced it at Manfield racetrack & hill climbed it, but had no money to
develop it, as all my money was tied up in the two rally minis. With a good head on a 1275 & split webbers with a motor with standard S pistons & about 7th slop I pulled a 14.76 sec standing quorter in the first 3 gears & when i put it in top it wouldn't pull it, I built the motor out of scraps topped of with my hill climb head that had been gas flowed by jim green & I built the split webbers.

The big problem was the gear selection was back the front from a normal
mini, which realy pissed me off, when racing , but i figured out how to change it without too much wrecking the car (right hand gearchange right next to the steering wheel ) being an electronics man I was always going to fit an electric changed box.

When I got it it was geared for about 140 mph & I downed the diff much
lower & Fitted a SCCR box & hardy spicer shafts & carfully modded the top
arms at the back to stop the bumpstear that must have been set-up by the large back wheels that it was never made for.

Its for sale without motor and I would ship real cheap to Aus. Im selling it to help pay for another mini I have stuck in UK, I have to ship over.

I still have my Mini Marcos MkIII, 1959 Mini to rebuild (trying to find
a better body), Andrew Cowans Rally Mini Clubmen & the Status minipower.

I have all the paperwork etc for the Status (i think it had diff noises as he wrote the front off in the crash he had early on, never did see it without the racing mods ).

In my first hill climb at the hairpin the very long gas peddle cable jammed & left me with 8000rpm + gave me a hell of a fright at the time, had to hit the key to kill motor (peddle up front with motor behind makes one heck of a long cable in the days before nylon liners !!). When I got the car it has far too small extractors fitted, fitted 595 supersprint cam & my racing head & built the split webbers (heaps of room out the back of the motor with it behind you). It could'nt change gears, it had been fitted with rose joints at the gearbox end to the selector rods, but wasnt fitted with center rod spacer bushs, so limited the travel with the bolt heads hitting the rose outers. They had also removed the back suspension arm ball joints & fitted flat mounted rose joints to replace them, but still no bolt spacer bushes so suspension arms broke at the race track up @ Auckland, so the dumb boys welded the Mini arms to the top of the hubs with a stick
welder which started moving on me in a standing & flying quarter drags.

I fixed all the suspension problems with relocating the top arm track rod &
refitting ball joints again from a Mini rack (back had front hubs from a
Mini as in UK) & I got the drop arms machined upside down to take the
locating dowls from the top, so I could fit left to right & vice-versa, that fixed all the rear suspension probs, I got the car with sloppy steering rack too, so I dont know how it was ever raced !!!

My first event the flywheel fell off the motor & upon inspection all the
good S bits has been flogged from inside the motor!!

It would make a real nice hill climb car, now days as the suspension is very good over ruff changing surfaces, its just like a Lotus F3 car from the 1960s with coil over shocks inboard on bouble ended top arms & full length bottom arms.

I was going to race it with a 970S motor with 8 port head but sold the head last month & with 40 days in a coma on life suport my racing days are over. Its avalable with new 970S crank & 10/10 970S crank & 970S block if some one wants it with a 1 ltr motor, the main spaceframe was never damaged in the crashs only the front part & a damaged back arm that I repaired.

Its not advertised yet but its for sale to someone that wants to race it as
a historic type (prefer not to sell as a road car) any help much appreciated. Its cheap, not 10 of $1000 of $ wanted.

I will send you a file with a mates Mini Gem being restored in NZ (only
about two Gems & two Full mini marcos & part of one in NZ). I live on $143 NZ $ per week & my wife the same, so you see why I have to
sell some things to buy anything else.

My Mini Marcos MK III 1968 with the 970S may be for sale at the right price.

The Mini Gem molds were down in South Aus & I know of a Mini Marcos in
Queenland & Perth.

Must go & do some other things Mick.

real nice hearing from you as I have been low key with the Mini stuff as setting up my farmlet & getting my health back has been main things for last 4 years.

Regards Kerry
"MOWOG" as steve says.

Anyone interested in buying contact 9YaTaH (Mick).......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:02 am 
the King of Bling

Hi Mike just ready the post and the gem sounds dam nice...specialy for the hillclimbs...Allthough I'm not in the postion to purchase I'd love some photo's of it :D
I had No Idea of this different Mini :!:

Post subject: GEM
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:04 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Gaf...picture of a sad little GEM now heading for Australia somewheres...

The other machine (the Status Minipower) may be off to a UK enthusiast...smiles alround :D