Ausmini
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:00 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:35 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hello again!

I've recently flushed my radiator as I was having some problems with overheating.

Currently, my '68 998 sits happily without overheating while idling, but as soon as I do some decent acceleration the guage jumps up. It will go back down again when I sit idling again tho.

What is the next thing to check in the overheating series? Or is the behaviour of my car normal at the moment.

Also, when I touch the gauge, the temperature jumps up quite a bit, so perhaps its my gauge which is the problem? Its a new smiths one, but it wasn't installed by me so I have no idea if its any good.

I have a heater on the drivers side, but it doesn't seem to be putting any warm air into the cabin, any suggestions for getting that to work?

Thanks all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:44 pm 
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK

this gauge is it electric or mechanical (capillary)
the heater may have gunk in it and not allowing the water to pass through
makka

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:45 pm 
998cc
998cc

Check the Gauge for a broken/loose wire as a bad contact could happen when the vehicle is moving and when stopped it settles back down and is all ok.

The heater hoses are most likly blocked so the hoses should be removed and the heater opned to allow the water to flow through and flush the hoses and if still no good the core may be blocked.

What Is It

A Bloody Mini

1970 Mini K, 1380cc, 1.75 HIF SU, 30 70 Cam, 2" Zorts
1969 Mini K, Stock Standard and Orginal. (Slow as Hell)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:50 pm 
848cc
848cc

I had the same sorta problems... i pulled my heater completly out, wastes to much foot room i recon.. and just bypass it from rad to head..

now with your guage.. i bought an electronic 2/1/2" Speco guage from repco.. cost like $50 or somthing.. and on the highway, she hits about 90-95 degrees..

thats at about 110 kays @ 5000RPM..

i was at 7eleven on sunday morning at about 3am, trying to get a lift home from the "local" night club, and this dude in a gemi was siting out the front with his car running, he had the same guage as me and it was siting on 105 degs.. i was like mate.. he slike nah its cool.. :roll:

its good having a guage you can actually read.. not stop when water's pissing out the side of your bonnet :wink: its happened to me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:18 pm 
998cc
998cc

hehe, I just sold my POS Calais today. One great thing about that was a little red light that told me I had NO coolant left in the radiator.

If that light hadnt come on I wouldnt have spotted the temp gauge at all and completely spat the engine. Ended up just having a pinhole in one of the heater hoses behind the alternator. Piece of piss, only took three hours to change one bloody 6 inch hose. :oops: :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:28 pm 
religious status
religious status

Sounds like my POS Ford EA Fairmont.. the heater hose is in a really great spot hidden under the tentacles of the inlet manifold. The bloody coil and dizzy is hidden there too. And people think Minis are hard... :lol:

Post subject: Minis are easy!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:34 am 
848cc
848cc

My previous car was a Nissan 300ZX.
If you ever have a chance, check out the engine bay of one of those, its seriously tight in there.
I removed the radiator in my mini twice and I thought it was an easy job compared to working on the Z :).
I don't know what you guys are complaining about, I removed the radiator in 20 minutes the second time :). Took slightly longer to get it back on, but wasn't that difficult.

I'm pretty sure my heater is all blocked up, so I'll be seeing if I can get that working on the weekend.

Also, my top radiator hose (from thermostat to radiator) has a bit of a kink in it, how much are these to replace?

Cheers.