Ausmini
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:40 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Rusted Boot Pan
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:02 pm 
848cc
848cc

I have a minor :? problem the wheel well in my boot is almost completly rusted out :shock: , i thort about just replacing the well but on further inspection realised that i may as well put a whole new/v.good second hand boot pan in. I have a couple related questions:
How easy/hard is it to replace?
How much is a new/ second hand 1 worth?

Thanx in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:49 am 
1275cc
1275cc

since this panel is required to support the weight of your spare wheel, its not a good idea to do a cheap fix. By this i mean NO POP RIVETS!!!!

New ones can be ordered thru MINISPORT or MINI TECH, expect to pay around $200 - $300...
see UK catalogue here--- http://www.minispares.com/web/like/y/item/HMP441016/invDetail.cfm

Or it could be a case of finding a wreck with a good boot floor, cutting it out and welding it into yours. Wreckers may not let you take just the floor though.....

Welding in the boot space also means that you will need to remove the fuel tank, battery, exhaust, possibly the rear seat too..... This is a fairly difficult job and it will take time to prepare.

Unless you have welding ability, it is probably best to leave it to a professional.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:50 am 
religious status
religious status

Is it ONLY the spare wheel well? Usually that's the first spot on a Mini to go- it's so thin.
Easiest method is to weld a plate in it, if the rust doesn't extend into the main boot floor.

Putting a full boot floor in properly is a big job.. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:58 am 
998cc
998cc

drmini in aust wrote:
Is it ONLY the spare wheel well? Usually that's the first spot on a Mini to go- it's so thin.
Easiest method is to weld a plate in it, if the rust doesn't extend into the main boot floor.

Putting a full boot floor in properly is a big job.. :cry:

thats the fear i have with mini :( ill take the wire brush to it and see th extent of the damage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:16 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanx for the response guys...the wheel well is rusted out :shock: (like huge hole) and just apping around with a screwdriver the rest doesnt look to good either, im not a big fan of doing half jobs so i think my best bet is to get a replacemet floor and repalce the whole lot, dads a fitter and turner/welder so no problems there but not sure of how it all attaches to the car/chassis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:16 pm 
religious status
religious status

Boot floor, rear seat base and seat back were spot welded together at the factory into 1 sub-assembly... not easy to fix. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:21 pm 
848cc
848cc

Bugger any idea of a price for a panel beater to do it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:10 pm 
religious status
religious status

Is it ONLY the well, or is the boot floor rotted?

Unless it's rotted thru in the rear seat base/back join, I would go find a Mini with a good boot and wheel well (yeah I know.. rocking horse poop) cut it out 2" or so in from any seam, take home, trim it, cut yours out and weld it in.

Even so, it'd be a bugger welding in there.. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:53 pm 
848cc
848cc

You'll probably find that the join between the back seats and the boot floor is cactus too.
It is a bugger to fix but doable. I posted some pics of one I did not so long ago - I just used sheet metal, a vice, tinsnips and a big hammer to fabricate any panels needed.
check out : http://www.cogentcomputing.com.au/minis/mamini/ sorry the pics aren't sorted

Pretty straight forward stuff but it is a pain and very time consuming so I would imagine a panel beater would charge a fortune - Most tell you to get nicked cause they don't want to work on cars that are spot welded (and I know why)
Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:34 am 
998cc
998cc

Ummm, I know of several different vehicles that are seam welded, but I think you'll find nearly every car on the planet is spot welded. Even the New mini, it just has twice as many.

The best way of removing the skin, is drilling each spot weld completely out, removing the panel, and welding the next one in. Ya can always fill in the holes afterwards.

I can tell ya, it's a hell of a lot easier than drilling out ten zillion rivets

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:54 am 
1275cc
1275cc

if it was my car needing the floor replaced, i would get a custom one made, one that is deeper - so i could fit a bigger toolkit :wink:

Or I would have it removed totally, relocate the battery inside, modify the subframe ( cut the rear half OFF ), install coil over suspension with beam axle....... but that would only happen in a perfect world - a world where race cars would be street legal and Lancers wouldnt.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:39 am 
998cc
998cc

A mini with mini-tubs? How interesting.....................