Ausmini
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:05 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Drum Brake adjustment
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:37 pm 
998cc
998cc

My handbrake isn't holding so I went to adjust it only to find it's already maxed out. I backed it off to adjust the rear drums then jacked her up and pulled off the wheel but it looks like a special tool is needed. Anyone have any idea on the tool needed or photo's of one? I rang around all the auto shops up here and noone knows what I'm talking about :roll: Help :!: :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:46 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

We used this really small spanner....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:48 pm 
848cc
848cc

You shouldn't need any special tool to adjust the rear brakes and hand brake.

I'm pretty sure the sequence is:
Adjust the pedal brake first with the handbrake disengaged. You should adjust them so that you can hear the shoe lightly rubbing against the drum (I generally go further than 'lightly rubbing' because I end up with the pedal on the floor if I have the shoe too far off the drum).

Apply the hand brake to two 'clicks' & adjust the nuts at the lever so that the wheel doesn't spin with you try to force the wheel (actually put the wheel on to test this).

dewey
P.S :: Adjusting brakes (especially twin-leading shoe drums) is up pretty high on my shit-me-off-o-meter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:59 pm 
998cc
998cc

Stupid me should have taken a photo while I had it apart :lol: The adjusting nut (for lack of a better term) on the drums looks like it's locked in place be a piece of spring loaded metal on either side, looking like it requires a tool that would force the locking plates open then slide past and onto the adjusting nut . If you can make sense of my description you're doing well :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:08 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Wolfman wrote:
Stupid me should have taken a photo while I had it apart :lol: The adjusting nut (for lack of a better term) on the drums looks like it's locked in place be a piece of spring loaded metal on either side, looking like it requires a tool that would force the locking plates open then slide past and onto the adjusting nut . If you can make sense of my description you're doing well :lol:

The square adjusting nut is on the back of the backing plate....not the "shoe side" ......carefully make sure it is free before swinging off it as they do get rusted up and you can round the adjuster off (Mini people should buy the WD-40 company).

AFAIR the adjusters all go the same way on each wheel.....I usuall give the pedal a few pumps afterthe adjustment to "centre the shoes....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:21 pm 
998cc
998cc

Just call me Homer Doh! :lol: The last set of drum brakes I looked at had the adjuster on the shoe side :roll: Is it clockwise to move the shoes out or counterclockwise?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:28 pm 
religious status
religious status

Clockwise looking at it moves the shoes out.
If the adjuster goes nearly right in and still no good, the shoes need replacing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:41 pm 
998cc
998cc

Thanks Doc, the shoes are fine, barely worn in fact. I'd say they were never adjusted correctly in the first place.

All done and working better than when I got it, handbrake now holds on a 45* incline 8)