Ausmini
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:44 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: susspect mini smash
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:22 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

this happened in briz after the driver sped off from an RBT .. not much more detail other than the driver was 33.... but it goes on to say that the police ethical standards command, and the crime and misconduct commision have been informed, and the driver was expected to be quizzed????? guessing the driver was a copper? sounds a bit much for chasing.
motor ended up 15m from the car after ths bini split a wooden pole in two..

Last edited by danidad on Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:36 pm 
848cc
848cc

with the motor 15m's from the car... how fast did they think he was going... BINI's are some the safest small cars

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:49 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

shite never heard of a motor flying out of a car before

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:00 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

again from memory the biggest death toll from a singal motorsport event was a motor departing a F1?????? and going solo through a grandstand.. again from memmory the toll was something like 90, but i could be well out it was quite a few anyway seen it on an old video B and W film, could still be on one of the havoc series if youve seen them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:11 pm 
998cc
998cc

aren't motors designed to drop down/out of newer cars in frontal impacts? that could explain it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:36 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

i guess they cant plan for every shape object you might hit... they are supposed to go down and under in a front impact..IE under the floor rather than into the cab... dont think they ever designed anything to fly out the front. to much hazard to pedestrians or other cars for that matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:12 pm 
998cc
998cc

Yes, motor and gearbox are desgined to go under the car at normal impact speeds. Somehow I think that car wasnt doing the speed limit.

A guy where i used to live was fanging around town, and hammering down the highway when he lost control at about 160k's. Went across the road through the armco, and into a steel power pole. The engine and gearbox went under the car alright...............hit that hard, the combo came back up off the road, and crushed the driver(seat and all)into the roof

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:08 pm 
848cc
848cc

Danidad, it was Le Mans 1955. This report said 77 were killed in the crowd. Horrific.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/date ... 726535.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:47 pm 
998cc
998cc

From Legends of Speed.

After 2 hours and 20 Minutes British driver Lance Maklin, in an Austin Healy, was entering the main staright at (At Le Mans) when he was lapped by Mike Hawthorn in his Jaguar. Frenchman Pierre Levegh, driving a mercedes, had been pursuing Hawthorn and was also about to pass Macklin. Up ahead Hawthorn suddenly slowed down, in order to pull into the pits. Macklin couldnt react quickly enough and pulled out to avoid Hawthorn just as levegh was attempting to pass. Levegh was reportedly travelling at more that 250kmh when he hit the back of Macklin's car. While Macklin was shunted down the straight by the impact, the crowd watched in horror and Levegh's Mecedes bounced accross the track. THe car spun uncontrollably into a 2meter high earth embankment. The freakish angle of the impact launched Levegh's Merc skyward slamming into the crowd and exploding. The rear wheels, axle and engine sliced through the crowd. (I wont write the rest it's pretty horrific).

The final count was 83 spectators and Levegh killed. You also have to rememebr the massive amount of horrific injuries sustained by flying metal and red hot magnesium that would have burnt through the crowd.

Many years ago I saw actual news real footage of the aftermath. Let's say it was not something a 6-8 year old should have seen and the images are still with me. I actually have footage of the crash here somewhere. I will try and find time to post it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:58 pm 
Causing or creating vexation

Don't quote Bill Woods! He is a goose and he has it totaly wrong.

Well, there was a crash and a lot of people were killed but the rest of it is crap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:58 pm 
998cc
998cc

Oh yeah, so what''s version off the story then?

I'm only quoting Bill woods book for this exercise. All other accounts of the accident (and the footage I have seen) are that Hawthorn went around Macklin and then braked to go into the pits. Macklin swerved to miss him and Levegh ran up his ass and his car fired into the crowd. Maybe you would like to go and argue the story with Lance Macklin, I have an interview with him on tape and his side of the story is exactly the same. But hey what would he know he was only there.

Yep, and I'm sure Bill Woods is a goose that's why he Anchors all the V8 SUpercar coverages, RPM, V8 Superstars and SPorts tonight. I'm sure it's netweok 10s Policy to hire idiots to head such a high rating sports program.

But then agian, as they say it's a shame the worlds best leaders are all driving taxis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:25 pm 
Causing or creating vexation

Bill Woods' book is full of errors and untruths.
I have been making notes while reading it and I have twelve pages of notes!
His version of the LeMans disaster is correct in Levegh and Macklin hitting and Leveghs car flying into the crowd but the rest of it .....

Quote:
and Levegh's Mecedes bounced accross the track. THe car spun uncontrollably into a 2meter high earth embankment. The freakish angle of the impact launched Levegh's Merc skyward slamming into the crowd and exploding. The rear wheels, axle and engine sliced through the crowd

Leveghs car did not bounce accross the track, it did not spin uncontrollably, it run up the back of Macklins car and flew straight over the wall. There are a lot of other mistakes in Bill Woods version.

If Bill is not an idiot then why did he write this about Geoff Brabham...
Quote:

He even drove in the budding CART championship, which was in its infancy after the famous split with the Sprintcar Control Council of Australia (SCCA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:43 pm 
998cc
998cc

OK I agree with that the footage does clearly show Levegh's car flying straight into the crowd after the collision and I did question that part of the account myself. My beef was that the cause of the accident was being disputed, which obviously I understand now it is not.

I'm still sticking with Bill Woods. But I'm not going to bable of about why. If you dont like him that's cool. I think the job he does with 10 is pretty damn good. He's no motorsport expert I agree, but he does a lot of research and takes what he does very seriously.

So I can go to bed now and stop looking through my DVDs for the footage. (you can never find it when you need it).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:14 am 
1275cc
1275cc

One bini written off...... well, its a good start, but i want more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:44 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

doesnt work like in the movies eh?