Ausmini
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:13 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: cooper s facts
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:25 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi, might of found a cooper s available and was wondering what years they were manufactured and any bits of advice on what to look for to see if it is genuine. Unfortunately am working through a third party and cant view the vehicle as of yet without a really long drive. Does anyone have any info on coopers or a link to a website?

cheers

Building a dream one nap at a time....

http://spaces.msn.com/members/derbydog/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:43 pm 
Yay For Hay!

there have been several topics about seeing if it's genuine, I'll give you a few, do a search and more will appear - first things to check is there is a little hole under the left-hand side of the cavity under rear seat, facing towards the rear of the car - only S's were supposed to have them, there's an opinion that some 850's had it as well, but there are other ways to tell an 850...

other than the normal stuff like twin tanks, front disk brakes etc... there are lots of special things to check - too many to list!

MK1 S's went from '65 to mid '69, and MK 2's went from mid '69 to early '71

for a MK1 the body number stamped into the firewall (I think) should start with YG2S2, the compliance plate will have YKG2S2, a MK 2 will have YG2S4 stamped into the top of the radiator shroud and no compliance plate other than one on the right hand side of the engine bay behind the brake booster which should be fitted. A MK1 engine number starts with 9FSAY, a MK2 starts with 9FXEY

there should be a diagonal brace behind the grille to clear the oil cooler, the mounting for the oil cooler should have a bent over section of the panel behind the grille, and under the front scuttle there should be bracings for the bracket that is under the oil cooler, unless it's a very early '65 model, in which case the oil cooler is mounted on the side of the oil filter housing

look for a white wire in the rear half of the loom behind the wiper motor where it connects to the front loom - the white wire is for the electric fuel pump, only S's and 850's had an electric pump, though my first S was a genuine shell and the white wire was missing - the rear loom may have been replaced.

Check in the boot - the bootlid itself should have a black cardboard panel screwed to it, if the panel is missing, you should see a series of maybe 25 holes drilled all around the edge of it where the panel screwed on.

the brackets for the boot board should be neatly riveted in place

there should be tabs around the rear firewall that hold the fuel tank breather tubes - look for 2 sets of them for the 2 tanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:01 am 
848cc
848cc

Thanks thats a great help, for the moment I should be able to get a chasis number hopefully in a week or so. Also good to know what years they were made. I knew about the disks but the fuel tanks etc is new to me only had the mini bug for a yr or two and had the clubby about a year so still learning.

cheers

Building a dream one nap at a time....

http://spaces.msn.com/members/derbydog/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:58 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi,
In the "Mini Experience" magazine, there is quite a bit of information about the early Mark 1 Cooper S, alot of that information relates to the Mark 2.
Good reading.