Ausmini
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:00 pm 
resident alien
resident alien

OK... now that I've got the tacho going I would like the temp and fuel gauges to work.

Is there any wires that need to connect to the red dots in this pic?

Oh, I found the light that fits in the back of the oil temp gauge... it was tangles up in all the wires behind the dash :D

Last edited by Marvin on Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:46 am 
1098cc
1098cc

No the temp and fuel guages should work just with the main plug in the back.

If both sky rocket when you turn the ingition and/or when you only just get the engine warm it is probably the voltage regulator (pull the one out of your spare and give it a go) (the rectangular metal thing at the bottom of the dash pods)
If it is only one of the gauges that rises or doesn't rise then it might be a problem with either the sender in the block for temperatre or the fuel tank for fuel or it could be the gauges themselves. You can test the temperature sender unit by disconnecting it (it is near the front of the engine with a spade terminal on it) you then need to briefly short it out against the block if the temperature guage rises it is not the guage. Get a new temperature sender unit.
I had a dicky fuel guage for a while the gauges are easy enough to swap over so try the one out of your spare dash. (you said you had one right??)

Hope this helps
Oh and clean up all your electrical terminals I had a fuel guage stop working because the connections were dodgy I only really found out that was what it was when turned on the headlights and the temperature guage went through the roof :shock: :shock: reconnected it and fiddled a bit and it was fine go figure :roll:
Most of the problems I have had with my mini have been in the dash :evil:

Last edited by fuzzy-hair-man on Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:44 am 
1360cc
1360cc

If you need a new voltage regulator PM me

My greatest fear in life is that when I die my wife will sell my Mini and tools for the price I told her I paid for them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:46 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Wombat wrote:
If you need a new voltage regulator PM me

Refresh our memories...

we send you our voltage regulator, you modify it and send it back correct?

How much?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:54 am 
1360cc
1360cc

No - rip out the old one and throw it as far as you can in a westerly direction. The Replacement is small electronic chip with three leads that plug straight into the female sockets in your loom and fixed easy peasy - $15 posted The good Dr is happy with his and a few others on this board have them as well

My greatest fear in life is that when I die my wife will sell my Mini and tools for the price I told her I paid for them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:04 pm 
resident alien
resident alien

Both gauges just don't work at all. I don't have a spare dash I have a spare cluster (the one in the photo).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:28 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Sorry, that's what I meant

Try swapping voltage regulators and check all connections I recon.

The fact that they both don't work suggests that it is either a voltage regulator or some dodgy connections, I went over mine with some steel wool to clean them up.

If that doesn't work try swapping over the gauges themselves. The screws you have red dots on are the ones that hold the gauges in you will also need to take out the glass and the face to get at them.

Hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:04 pm 
resident alien
resident alien

You wouldn't F'n believe what was missing from the back of the cluster?! That's right boys and girls... the voltage regulator!!!

Only thing is that the fuel gauge reads half full when I only just filled it up yesterday. The car is on a little bit of a tilt (front lower than the rear) but not that much to make it read that way.

Oh, and the dash lights don't work when I turn the headlights on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:14 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Marvin wrote:
You wouldn't F'n believe what was missing from the back of the cluster?! That's right boys and girls... the voltage regulator!!!

there is a voltage regulator in the one in the photo?

KB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:37 pm 
resident alien
resident alien

Yeah that's my spare one, not the one in the car. I grabbed the regulator off the one in the pic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:09 am 
1098cc
1098cc

I'd check all your connections the headlights thing sounds like dodgy connections, unplug stuff and then plug it back in etc. they seem really fiddly and do wierd stuff :roll: .

Is your battery charged :?: cause the headlights might be taking all the power that is left in the battery leaving none for the dash lights :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:42 pm 
resident alien
resident alien

It's one of the biggers sized batteries I think... the PO had a 12" kicker in it with his stereo.

Will check the connections when I get a chance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:52 am 
resident alien
resident alien

OK... first pic - where does the oil pressure line (red dot) go exactly? And what do I need to connect it as I can't see anything?!

Second pic - Is this (red circle) where the wire for the temp gauge is supposed to connect? what colour wire is it that's supposed to connect to it?

Third pic - Is the tube (red stripe) supposed to go anywhere? And is anything supposed to go into this hole (red circle)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:46 am 
ET 13.457 seconds , OH YEAH !!!!

I think the oil pressure line should go to the red crimped wire next to the coil, that's the oil pressure sender for the stock switch..

That terminal above the alternator is where the temp guage is supposed to go. On mine the wire is a dark green colour.

Not sure about the charcoal filter stuff. I think the top hose is supposed to go to the carby, bottom i'm not sure about..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:46 pm 
resident alien
resident alien

First pic - Is there a special T connector for it so that the warning light and gauge work together?

Second pic - I've found the green wire, crimped and connected it. Ran the car for about 5 mins and the temp gauge did move but slowly... didn't get past C on the gauge. Will be able to check it better tomorrow when I go to work in 30 degree heat.

Third pic - I have a Weber carbie (40DCOE28) so if it goes back to the carbie it's most likely for the original one as this hose is clamped shut?!

What is the dial in the bottom right of this pic do?