Ausmini
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:19 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Cannister or Spin-on....
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:21 pm 
SooperDooperMiniCooper ExpertEngineering

I'm putting together the Cooper S donk at the moment after a long lull, and in between other epic adventures around the house...

Now I've got the original cannister filter for the engine, and I also have a later spin on housing.

I reckon I'm gonna put the cannister away and use the spin-on. It's getting too hard to get the filter elements off the shelf. Whaddya reckon? Are there any pros for the cannister?

All garage work involves equal measures of enthusiasm, ingenuity and a fair degree of irresponsibility.

Last edited by Mick on Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:28 pm 
High heel ninja

Go the spin on Mick, much tidier to change.

Doogie

Hay, it's not about the car, it's not about the venue, it's about the people that come here. Peter Dwyer, Mayor of Hay NSW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:29 pm 
The Mini King

In My opinion use the spin on type, But keep the original incase you want to sell the car sometime in the future

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:29 pm 
Give Ash some flowers Nick .

I run cartridge. I don't have a problem. EVERY time I have bought a oil filter I have been able to walk into a shop and buy one on the spot, no ordering (mine is a Ryco R2200P).

I was in Autobarn of all places a week ago and they had a Ryco R2180P and a Ryco R2200P just sitting on the shelf with all the other oil filters.

I personally like the canister better, sure it's more stuffing around but you can see exactly how much metal left your gearbox since your last oil change :) So you know how kind you are being :wink: I reckon you get better at it. I can do an oil change fairly cleanly.

Cartridge FTW! :mrgreen: You lot will probably all think I'm crazy :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:54 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

I wonder if Ryco ever fixed up there R2200P's? They left a seal out of all the ones I looked at one the shelf. I did email Ryco and advise them, they did say they would fix the problem????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:04 pm 
Resident Haemorrhoid

go the cartridge and sell me the spin on :wink: :lol:

Tombo wrote:
Gadgets has never been so right :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:22 pm 

I gotta say there aren't many moments as enjoyable as when the hot engine oil dribbles down your arm all the way to ones armpit...

All garage work involves equal measures of enthusiasm, ingenuity and a fair degree of irresponsibility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:23 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

John Smidt wrote:
In My opinion use the spin on type, But keep the original incase you want to sell the car sometime in the future

I agree with John.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:11 pm 
Causing or creating vexation

I would keep the cartridge but I know how to change the filter without getting an arm full of oil.
I can see why people want to run the spin-on and I will not knock anyone for running one. If I was clocking up a lot of Km I would go the spin-on.

I have noticed that there are less and less places selling the R2200P filter and even less carrying the R2180P filter that the Cooper S uses.

I have to get the parts store to order the filters in for my car these days. We used to have a great parts store but it went downhill over the past couple of years, now Repco have merged with it so I am sure it will go enven further downhill. It takes a couple of days to get the filters ordered in.

So now I just order a box full of filters and consumables from one of the reputable Mini stores and it is here the next day!
I am sure that John or Greg would appreciate my business more that the local bloke does. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:23 pm 
religious status
religious status

I run a spin-on with 2, 25dx10 super strength neodymium magnets clinging on the outside near the bottom.
When I change it, all the fine crap the magnets collected stays in the can.
Yes it does work, the average fullflow filter only works down to 25 micron particle size. Anything smaller goes round and round unless it's unlucky enough to get near the sump plug magnet.

I cut one of these filters up once, you would not believe all the fines in there the magnets had collected. And between changes I usually get nothing on the sump plug magnet. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:35 pm 

The availability of the filters is the big one. When I go to change the oil I can't stand it when it becomes a 3 day event...order the part, chase the order up the next day..pick it up the day after....
Especially for such a common everyday job...

I'll keep the cannister in the cupboard then...I'll even paint it engine colour for a snappy changeover should I need it...

P.S. I can't remember, is there supposed to be a spacer between the block and the spin on housing...it looks very close to the block...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:43 pm 

The correct paint job for the canister is two tone. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:50 pm 

what's that, green cannister with a white top? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:00 pm 
This space for rent

drmini in aust wrote:
I run a spin-on with 2, 25dx10 super strength neodymium magnets clinging on the outside near the bottom.

Yep, I do the same except I pilfered four head magnets out of old hard drives -- small but bloody strong things, I can only just prise them off without a screwdriver.

Haven't cut a filter apart yet though, might do that next time and see what the damage is :shock:

The adventures of an owner builder in the Tallarook Ranges

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:06 pm 

Mick wrote:
what's that, green cannister with a white top? :lol:
Aussie green on the front and British green on the back.

The engines were painted in England and then they got a rough blow over with our colours before fitting to the car.