Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Paint: match or code?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:43 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Hi all
My mini GT is Bold as brass and is going to get a full respray when i finish the body. i am restoring it to as original as possible and my question is:

Should i have the colour matched

Or

Should i get the colour mixed from a paint code.

Given the colour is 36years old, some of the tints etc probably have been replaced by alternate colours and discontinued.

I want it as close to the original colour as possible.

Also what is generally involved in getting a colour matched - can i chip some good paint off from like under my compliance plate or under one of the emission stickers and take the chip to them or do i have to take a whole part in?? ( as most removalable parts have poor paint)

Thanks Brenton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:02 pm 
998cc
998cc

Colour matching usually involves taking a whole part in i think, Flare, boot etc.

I would think that getting the right colour code will be much easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:07 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

yeah i still had the paint code sticker on my car, and is put up at the moment so i could use that, i just wasnt sure if the colour would be odd to what it is supposed to be

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:07 pm 
religious status
religious status

With weathered paint that old on the car, colour matching to it will be nowhere near the original.
I got my Jet Red mixed to the code, it turned out fine. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:25 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

My Moke was colour matched. It used to be a dull faded Scarlet O'Hara. Now its glossy faded Scarlet O'hara. Everyone else says its orange.

Tim

1969 Triumph TR6R
1977 Leyland Moke Californian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:03 pm 
Yay For Hay!

I had my Camino Gold mixed from the formula (PPG enamel), and it's WAAYY off the original paint - it's a much brighter colour, I'd say the original had more blue in it. [edit]I've parked my car next to a couple of cars that have been repainted, and they're very different, but the same as the patch I repainted

A friendly ausmini'er sent me a Camino Gold paint card and it matches all over the car, guards, roof, under the back seat, you name it - when I do a full spray, I'm getting it matched off that card

Until I got the paint card, I was planning on taking the body shell to the paint shop and getting them to match it - I doubt you could chip any paint off in good enough condition to get matched. Post a "wanted" - buy or borrow, you might find a card

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:29 pm 
Yay For Hay!

these were on ebay last week... "bold as brass" top of 3rd column

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Bmc-Leyland-p76-Austin-Morris-Mini-MG-Paint-Chips-1972_W0QQitemZ280274628443QQihZ018QQcategoryZ6763QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

edit:

this one didn't sell - might be worth an email to the guy

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Bmc-Leyland-p76-Austin-Morris-Mini-MG-Paint-Chips-1972_W0QQitemZ280274256686QQihZ018QQcategoryZ6763QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:45 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

hey thanks for that simon k

I do have a part chart from 72, looks like this below. But the yellow on it looks a bit greeny from memory (cant tell from the scan) and the paint that was under my compliance plate is yellow -yellow and they look different so, i think i will email the seller and see what happens, and didg mine out and have another look

Cheers Brenton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:44 am 
Postally Verbose
Postally Verbose

Brenton , do you have the actual chart or only the scan of the chart ? If you have the chart then you're best to take it in and they'll mix the code and check it to the sample on the card . If it's only a scan it could be slightly different due to monitor differences etc and best finding an orriginal .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:04 am 
1275cc
1275cc

yes i do have an original card with paint chips - the same as the above that i posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:43 am 
998cc
998cc

Hi Brenton - when I had BC re-sprayed I had the colour made up off the code and I wasn't entirely satisfied with the end result. The colour is not quite dark enough. Having said that the car looks great but it's definitely not dark enough.

I'd recommend - depending on your relationship with your painter - that you try a combination of both. Get them to mix up a sample pot according to the code then try to match it with some existing paint off your car until you get it right. Now I don't fully understand what's involved in doing this and how costly or time consuming it is for painters to do but if you want the best possible match I'd say this would be the way to go.

Good luck mate and let us know how you go .... eventually I'm going to be asking someone to do the same for me with Camino Gold :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:52 am 
998cc
998cc

[quote="simon k"]I had my Camino Gold mixed from the formula (PPG enamel), and it's WAAYY off the original paint - it's a much brighter colour, I'd say the original had more blue in it. [edit]I've parked my car next to a couple of cars that have been repainted, and they're very different, but the same as the patch I repainted

A friendly ausmini'er sent me a Camino Gold paint card and it matches all over the car, guards, roof, under the back seat, you name it - when I do a full spray, I'm getting it matched off that card
[quote]

Sounds familiar Simon!!! Thank god for friendly ausmini'ers hey?? I had an "Oh Fudge" paint chip sent to my by someone here .... only problem was it was sent to me AFTER my car was painted so it was too late. When I look at the chip it is exactly how I remember my paint and how the car looked in old pics. Even in it's faded state (before it was stolen and painted white) the car was stilll darker and had more depth than my new paint.

IMO, more than anything, else you need a painter who actually gives a sh!t and is happy enough to put in the time with his client. My painter wanted nothing more than to get my car out of his workshop in the end :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:57 am 
Yay For Hay!

at my local paint shop (PPG) they charge $15 to do a match, and will match whatever you take in to them - for my dad's car, I took in the boot lid and it came up great. That said, there are matchers who do a good job, some who do a crap job, and some who do a sensational job.... so talk to the locals about who to use

Chat them up a bit, make them your best mate, and they'll do the extra bit of effort to get the quality you want - and take in your sample card and show them, explain how a lot of people find the new paints mixed up from the code are 'off' and you want to get it exactly like the card - see what they suggest as the best plan of attack IE "you're the expert, what do you recommend", instead of "a bunch of amateurs said this and this and this"

also, before you go in, compare the colour on the card with a bit of paint on your car and make sure it's the same - just in case the paint shop man suggests the card has changed over the last 38 years

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:08 am 
998cc
998cc

simon k wrote:

also, before you go in, compare the colour on the card with a bit of paint on your car and make sure it's the same - just in case the paint shop man suggests the card has changed over the last 38 years

Absolutely SPOT ON! That is exactly what my painter said when I showed him the card. He practically laught at me for even suggesting it!!! Do not take any crap from them. It's YOUR car, YOU are the customer handing over your hard earned for the job. Unfortuately you are, to a degree, at their mercy and they know and exploit this. Not all of them mind you .... but this is def my experience and I would not wish anyone else to go through the same thing. So choose your painter carefully and as hard as it is try not to let your budget decide who you choose.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:10 am 
848cc
848cc

Old post but just as relevant to me. I got a paint tin mixed using the code and it was way off too. Much too dark. To compare, I’m using a patch under the "negative earth" sticker in the boot. This spot is not big enough, or portable, to get a match using the spectrometer.

Does anyone have a paint chip / card for ‘70 Jet Red I could borrow?