Ausmini
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 9:45 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: handbrake
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:08 pm 
848cc
848cc

just wondering why my handbrake doesnt work and never has it has no effect at all even when fully engaged. i have fitted new brake shoes and drums but this hasn't helped. is it just a matter of tensioning it somewhere or something totally different?
can someone please tell me how i can make it work????
thanks alot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:15 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

so your rear drums are adjusted right?? if so then there is an adjustment on the actual hand brake lever,, if there all done up then id say the cable has stretched over time or it has come loose form the mounting points on the rear of the drums.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:47 pm 
848cc
848cc

thanks 13sec, ill have to check out the cable see if its got problems. havent had a real good look at the mounting points as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:16 pm 
religious status
religious status

Also check the cable quadrants on the trailing arms, if frozen solid the handbrake won't work. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:03 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Back to my favourite hobby of hijacking posts!! :P

I've done almost everything I an think of to get m handbrake working better for motorkhanas. It has brand new oversize shoes, machined drums to suit. new cables. I'm 90% sure it has been adjusted properly, but I will check that again. Any other ideas people?? It will hold on hill - hell it'd almost hold vertically!! Just can't get it to lock too well in the motorkhanas - and all the ones I've been in so far have been on grass! Wait till I get to the tarmac 'khanas!! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:46 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

mr bob i reckon its the timing of the handbraking.
the faster you do it, the quicker the wheels will lock
if you do it slowly, handbrake turns wont happen, the car will just slow down

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:47 am 
Yay For Hay!

MrBob wrote:
Back to my favourite hobby of hijacking posts!! :P

I've done almost everything I an think of to get m handbrake working better for motorkhanas. It has brand new oversize shoes, machined drums to suit. new cables. I'm 90% sure it has been adjusted properly, but I will check that again. Any other ideas people?? It will hold on hill - hell it'd almost hold vertically!! Just can't get it to lock too well in the motorkhanas - and all the ones I've been in so far have been on grass! Wait till I get to the tarmac 'khanas!! :shock:

how hard is it to pull on, how far up does it come. I have the same trouble with my van, it's all set up properly but I think I've got it adjusted too close to the floor, I can't get any force when I pull it on. The shoes I have are a hard compound, great fo teh track cos they're less inclined to lock, I've got a mate who ordered a special soft, sticky compound and they work incredibly well in the 'khanas.

Best mod someone ever told me was to push the button in, drill a hole through the lever and button, and put a bit of coathanger through it and bend it over, and some tape over it - voila, flyoff handbrake

hydraulic handbrake is the next step..... I've been planning one for the van, but not doing it anymore cos handbrake turns with 4wd doesn't work :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:39 am 
1275cc
1275cc

I already have a fly-off handbrake. mini is even simpler. it is a hole drilled through the base of the lever, then when khana'ing (nice made up word there) i put a split pin through which disengages the rat crap. (i love that joke). :lol:

and about the speed, to give you an indication, my first khana i actually ripped the whole lot off the floor by reefing it on too hard!!
I think one of my problems is flex in the floor of the car. When time/money permits i will get someone to weld a piece of angle in to mount the whole lot on and make it a little more solid.