Ausmini
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:52 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:13 am 
998cc
998cc

I know of one mini supplier in vic who still gets old mini brakes and other parts in with this bad stuff ....
dont know how he does it but he does..gues he neaks it in when he brings in his container full with parts twice a year???
he says theres still a market for them here as people what them....
ie brake pads...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:14 am 
religious status
religious status

Many cheapo brake pads come from Taiwan or China now, so beware!
I don't trust what's said on their boxes either... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:24 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Even if the brake pads/shoes etc dont have asbestos i think you should still wet it down. Because yea sure it might not have asbestos, but your still going to breath in a whole heap of crap thats not going to do you any good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:00 pm 
998cc
998cc

This tale goes for restos as well. Old drums have asbestos. beware folks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:47 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Morris 1100 wrote:
Back in the old days they used to blow the dust off the brakes with compressed air. :shock:
For about the first 6 years of my working as a Mechanic we blew Brakes out with Compressed air. There would be a cloud of dust so thick that it was difficult to breathe. :shock: But it was just the done thing back then.

Dicko

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:22 pm 
Causing or creating vexation

d1ck0 wrote:
Morris 1100 wrote:
Back in the old days they used to blow the dust off the brakes with compressed air. :shock:
For about the first 6 years of my working as a Mechanic we blew Brakes out with Compressed air. There would be a cloud of dust so thick that it was difficult to breathe. :shock: But it was just the done thing back then.

Dicko
At one stage we were all told that Blue Asbestos was bad and White Asbestos was good. (this was Government policy) We played with White Asbestos in High School science in the 70s.
One place that I worked in during the 80s was doing some construction work and they hung up sheets of plastic to protect the factory floor from the dust during the asbestos removal. The plastic was not sealed very well and all the products the factory produced were covered in dust. These products were then delivered all over the state and carried into houses and unpacked in kitchens in family homes.....

But there is no reason to panic as there is no way of avoiding the stuff. Think about the amount of the stuff that is floating around it is a lucky dip as to who is going to die from it.
Everyone in the country has been exposed. The exposure will continue for a long time to come.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:35 am 
1360cc
1360cc

QUOTE - from a person in a technical position...

I was reading this article on the weekend and had no idea that underbody deadener contains asbestos:

https://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/news ... newsletter

"The item that really stands out as being asbestos positive all the time, is underbody sound deadeners,"

"My advice to Australians buying cars here in the USA, is to avoid at all cost vehicles with any underbody sound deadeners on them. It is also commonly found inside quarter panels and under front guards and it’s all the same stuff. It’s hard as nails and very tough to remove, which proves cost prohibitive,"

"We often find that some brush on sealers contain it, gaskets and materials around the car, but in comparison to underbody spray on sealers, they’re easy to remove and at far less cost."

After having spent days under the car with an electric wire brush breathing in that black crap I contacted Bosskraft and to my shock they said every car they tested with underbody deadener was asbestos. I am going to take a sample for testing to be sure but the amount I breathed in has me very concerned.

http://www.bosskraft.com/

Please be careful. I had never heard of this before.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:19 am 
998cc
998cc

There was an article in a magazine article my "uncle" (first cousin once removed) sent me via my father.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3lBGMkSEmsgMTgtQUZmSkNyR2xLTEhVWjl2VzRISW9NZFRzurl

Refer link.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:11 am 
848cc
848cc

As a person born in the early 1940's during my early years I went with my father who was a builder and I had great delight in breaking up the scrap asbestos sheeting and either throwing it on a fire as it went bang when hot or using it to write on cement paths. since then my wife and I have removed and re-clad 3 houses that were covered with asbestos, I was a brake mechanic at Better brakes for a number of years and yes the dust was just blown out all over the place and when oversized replacement shoes had to be ground to fit a machined drum the dust was so thick it just landed all over everything that was in the separate room, the man that did the machining of the drums was in that dust 5 days a week, have no idea what has happened to him as that was the late 1960's. To date there does not seem to be any ill effects on either of us, have spoken to our Doctor who did not think that there is any problem and there is nothing that can be done anyway. Just keep hoping for the best.

Graham

Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Last edited by 2lateagain on Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:13 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

2lateagain wrote:
As a person born in the early 1940's during my early years I went with my father who was a builder and I had great delight in breaking up the scrap asbestos and either throwing it on a fire as it went bang when hot or using it to write on cement paths. since then my wife and I have removed and re-clad 3 houses that were covered with asbestos, I was a brake mechanic at Better brakes for a number of years and yes the dust was just blown out all over the place and when oversized replacement shoes had to be ground to fit a machined drum the dust was so thick it just landed all over everything that was in the separate room, the man that did the machining of the drums was in that dust 5 days a week, have no idea what has happened to him as that was the late 1960's. To date there does not seem to be any ill effects on either of us, have spoken to our Doctor who did not think that there is any problem and there is nothing that can be done anyway. Just keep hoping for the best.

Graham

Its a lottery Graham...but you don't get your prize for sometimes over 40 years...best of luck with it...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:57 pm 
Causing or creating vexation

The hessian used in the underfelt in Australian made Minis is likely to contain asbestos because it was made from recycled hessian bags that were previously used to transport asbestos.

They probably used it in spud bags too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:44 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Morris 1100 wrote:
The hessian used in the underfelt in Australian made Minis is likely to contain asbestos because it was made from recycled hessian bags that were previously used to transport asbestos.

They probably used it in spud bags too.

All the safety articles I've found regarding this only mention this happened in WA. Are there any records that these hessian bags were used by car makers or on the east coast?

I've got an asbestos testing lab near me actually. I'll get some samples analysed for my own interest and let you guys know the outcome. My 1964 850 has what looks to be the original underlay stuck to the inside of the dash/bulkhead and some hessian under the carpet (which probably isn't factory as it would have had rubber mats originally?)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:26 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

timmy201 wrote:
My 1964 850 has what looks to be the original underlay stuck to the inside of the dash/bulkhead and some hessian under the carpet (which probably isn't factory as it would have had rubber mats originally?)

The hessian underlay went under the rubber mats...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:43 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Here are some photos of what is in my car. Results are back next week.

Behind the dash cards - I discovered this when installing the demist vent. Some surprisingly thick layers are glued on for sound deadening, with a nice cutout for the wiper motor fasteners.
Attachment:
IMG_7095.JPG

Underneath the rear carpets - not sure if original or from some stage in the last 50 years.
Attachment:
IMG_7097.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:09 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Both of my hessian underlay samples have come back with no asbestos detected :D