Ausmini
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:56 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 556, 557, 558, 559, 560, 561, 562 ... 569  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:02 am 
religious status
religious status

I have been running 36mm chokes in my 45 Dellorto since before fitting the Accuspark black box 3? years ago. Because everybody said these are best.
But just for fun I refitted the 38 chokes 2 weeks ago and found it goes much harder.
36 might work best in a Weber, but not in this. It has torque steer in lower gears now. :mrgreen:
Note it's got a race head and big ported manifold.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:30 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Finally removed my engine from my Mk 2 S and stripped it down for inspection.
Forgot to drain the sump-now have old oil all over the floor!
This is the motor I "ran in" years ago using GTX oil. That was a costly mistake!

1966 Deluxe- next rustoration!
Mk 2 & XJ6 Jags. Less said the better.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:45 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

AEG163job wrote:
Finally removed my engine from my Mk 2 S and stripped it down for inspection.
Forgot to drain the sump-now have old oil all over the floor!
This is the motor I "ran in" years ago using GTX oil. That was a costly mistake!

What is the problem with GTX and what is the costly mistake?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:30 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Using friction modified oil is no good for bedding in brand new piston rings.
I am instructed to use ordinary cheap engine oil or running in oil.
The costly mistake is having to re-hone the bores & fit new piston rings. Fortunately my own labour charge-out rate is $0 per hour!

1966 Deluxe- next rustoration!
Mk 2 & XJ6 Jags. Less said the better.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:39 pm 
998cc
998cc

Timinik wrote:
Most of the dynamat installed.
Dynaliner roof insulation is in.
Rear wiring harness installed too.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
So how much did you end up going through to get the job done? Looks nice and tidy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:47 pm 
848cc
848cc

womble99 wrote:
Timinik wrote:
So how much did you end up going through to get the job done? Looks nice and tidy.

I have used a bulk pack of dynamat xtreme, (36 square feet) and have ordered more. I haven't done the bulkhead or the doors yet.
Roof - i used 6mm Dynaliner (1/4 inch) 81x137cm roll, and used just under 2 of those. There is also dynamat behind the dynaliner.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:36 pm 
998cc
998cc

Timinik wrote:
womble99 wrote:
Timinik wrote:

I have used a bulk pack of dynamat xtreme, (36 square feet) and have ordered more. I haven't done the bulkhead or the doors yet.
Roof - i used 6mm Dynaliner (1/4 inch) 81x137cm roll, and used just under 2 of those. There is also dynamat behind the dynaliner.

Nice, I have a couple of bulk packs of dynamat xtreme on hand though I am thinking I will give the dynaliner a miss for the roof. Haven't convinced myself i will drive it enough to warrant adding it as well. Think I will use the hoodliner though, it should come up looking pretty good.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:31 pm 
998cc
998cc

Not my mini but Ruby, the daughters Mini got a set of 7-1/2" discs fitted.
Next weekend will be the rear cylinder replacement and then all done :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:15 pm 
SooperDooperMiniCooper ExpertEngineering

Took the old girl for a blast today. It hasn't had a run in a long while, so it was good to clear the throats.
I put a new battery in a few months ago, and it still surprises me just how little she minds that she sits so long. It just fires straight up each time.

All garage work involves equal measures of enthusiasm, ingenuity and a fair degree of irresponsibility.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:24 pm 
Yay For Hay!

this thread fell back a few pages!

I took the motor out and gave it a wash... very very grubby, I've been battling timing cover oil leaks for a few years now, I swear I'm going to get it this time

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:37 pm 
religious status
religious status

I put a new Century battery in 2 weeks ago, the old Lion one had a dead cell or something. It was 6 years old...

This week, I swapped the 11A0825 fan belt for an 11A0815. Because the 16ACR alternator was touching the oil cooler's 45° hose fitting.
Belt fits, but I had to take both top alternator bolts out first.

A new Gates (Japanese) timing belt arrived from MED. I used to buy these from Mini Mania in USA, but MED are cheaper. Couldn't buy from Gates here, they had no listing.
The Gates belts fit tight, like original Pirelli/Dayco ones did.
Unlike some cheap alternatives...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:23 am 
848cc
848cc

Since I bought my little 1989 Mini Mayfair earlier this year I have been sorting the little things...
The latest was installing an overide switch on the auxilliary radiator fan, to allow me to run it whilst standing in Melbourne traffic. Hopefully this will assist in keepinsg her cooler in traffic, time will tell.

I have also made an overflow bottle for the radiator to prevent losing expanding/overflow coolant onto the road. Apparently the overflow hose onto the road was standard fair, but I found I had to regularly top up the coolant as she left little puppy puddles after a heated/extended drive. Hopefully this home made setup works, if it does I will neaten it up. There wasn't much room for a regular size bottle so I got a mower? vessel to do the job, it only holds about 2-300 ml. Again time and observation will tell.

I want to thank my mate Deese who connected up the switch and sorted other little wiring issues and the bloke at Day's Motorcycle and Power Equipment for helping out with my peculiar bottle request..

Happy New Year, and Happy Mini Travels all...

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:42 pm 
Milatsmadmini

Actually a very productive day with Dorian. Started off with getting the drivers side hydro pumped up again (thanks Chong) Added some more sound deadening in and around, painted under the grill, cleaned up said grill, made some new dash shelves out of 4.8mm Masonite, started to start adding marine carpet to the dash area.

Was just about to start the adding of front shocks mod, but the sun was setting and my beers were crying for attention...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

“A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.” - Jeremy Clarkson

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:49 am 
848cc
848cc

Started to fit my water/meth injection kit.
Looks very straight forward.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:49 pm 
Yay For Hay!

My mini was cranky with me, the club permit log book says he hadn't been driven since 17th November so maybe not surprising

Finished putting him all back together today - I thought I'd drive him to work this week while I make a fully sick exhaust for my Polo - but the mini had other ideas... I took him for a drive around the block, all good, so started jacking up the Polo, glanced at the mini and a big oil puddle underneath. What are you up to there naughty mini? the oil filter head to block gasket had popped - then the bonnet catch fell off! the spot welds ripped off! Maybe he popped the gasket so I'd open the bonnet and find the bonnet catch before the bonnet had a chance to fly open at speed

I fixed that and wife and I took him to the supermarket and he was happy...

Attachment:
20190303_133253.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8521 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 556, 557, 558, 559, 560, 561, 562 ... 569  Next