Ausmini
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:04 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:01 pm 
998cc
998cc

Hello All
I have just fitted a new head lining .I don't like fitting them and I have only fitted about 5 ,most trimmers don't
like fitting them either. Just a couple of tips when you fit them, pack a piece of compressible polystyrene under the steel bows , thick enough to cause an interference fit. Size approx 50,50,15mm.This will help to hold the steel bows in place. Also I have found that the holes in the side cant rails are not in the exact position one hole is 7mm longer than the other side hole .This will give you a major problem when fitting the head lining. I have solved this problem and the head lining fits good. It appears that the holes in the cant rail are done in a drill jig not punched ,as the holes are on the end of a bent flange they could not be punched as it is too close to the edge. A drawing may show this ,anyhow if the holes are not in the same position both sides the head lining will never fit correctly FYI ,Don't ask me to fit a head lining for you It may take me a while to calm down after todays effort. I should just stick to body work or gardening.
Allen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:52 pm 
848cc
848cc

Allen,
Glad you got the job done.
A tip from my first time ever headlining install in early November, 2020. The photos tell the story. I was about to install the headlining with the shell upright, but realising that it was still on a rotisserie, I wondered if the job would be easier if it rotated the shell so it was upside down. Wasn't too difficult to do it this way, thanks to gravity, I glued original type underfelt, courtesy of a good friend, to the roof. It helped hold the bows in position. I was dreading fixing the headlining in place as it was a 50 year old one with very little extra material on the edges.
May not be possible to always invert the car, but it seemed to make life easier for me.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1963 Triumph Spitfire
1982 RX-7 Series 2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:03 pm 
848cc
848cc

Good idea using bulldog clips to hold the hood lining. When I did one in the early 80’s, I used the screen rubbers, rear side window rubbers and the door seals to keep it all in place while the glue went off. A very tedious job, something I’m not looking forward to doing again in the future with a similar 50 year old lining . Good tip doing it while still on the rotisserie.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:20 am 
848cc
848cc

Anyone have a circa 1970’s headlining they want to sell?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk