Ausmini
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:47 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hey
I'm still looking for a mini. What do you guys think of this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2030&item=4535675463&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

How much you reckon it's worth paying for? The guy has it in the panel beaters right now getting all the rust removed and I think a small dink in one of the sides.

Is it anyones on here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:56 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

It looks ok, but depends on how much the reserve is to determine if it's a good deal or if you'd be getting ripped off. I would NOT buy/bid on it until after the work is done, you never know what it will end up like!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:58 pm 
848cc
848cc

depends on what is true and what is a load of crap about what he says.. alot of people claim they have alot of stuff underneath those head bolts.. but it is very hard to really know

plus you cant bid on a car until it comes out of the panny shop.. otherwise how would you know what it looks like? how good the job is.. i dont think he'd pay good money down at the panel shop to sell it on e-bay

are you near buy to have a look?
if you cant drive it. dont buy it. there are so many minis around youd be bets off finding a tidy local example

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:23 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks for the replies guys..
Hyperthetically, if everything he said was true, and the body work at the panel beaters turned out fine (all rust removed - it was only surface rust apparently, no structural). How much would you say it would be worth?

I live about 3hrs from him, I would go out to have a look, but I don't have time before the auction ends. I'm getting him to take pictures of the work done by the panel beaters. Also he said "Comes with original papers and all important receipts." So I'll see if I can get him to take pics of some of those recipts for me.. see what has been done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:58 pm 
the King of Bling

I'd go and have a good Look :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:05 pm 
998cc
998cc

It doesn't look to shabby. Like other people have said, your best bet would be to go and inspect it yourself. Question him on the specifics of the bore out/rebuild, like was the crank hardened after being stroked? Has he done engine rebuilds before? Was the 'new' cam a brand new one or a "good nick" used one? Which side (top or bottom) of the inlet port did he widen? Make sure he knows his stuff, otherwise you might be best buying a mini built by a monkey.

I got full on ripped off recently (hence rebuild - check signature). The beautifully modified mini I thought I bought turned out to be a real nightmare. The stroked crank was not hardened and cracked, I shreded the flywheel and primary gear and wrecked the clutch (not by my own crazy driving, I might add :wink:), all the mains were loose, the inlet ports were widened on the wrong side (so it did nothing), it still had a normal crap-o-rama head gasket, lock tabs weren't put on particular nuts, the cam's lobes were so worn it's not funny (the worst Cono at MiniCraft here in WA had ever seen)..... And I could go on.

Sorry for rabbitting on, but after my own personal experience, I just have to warn people about buying 'modified minis'. Who knows? It might be a real gem built by a pro. But it might not be. Do the homework I wish I did more of.

PS: I would like to thank the people at RoadCraft here in WA for the outstanding engine rebuild they did... :evil: :roll: LOL! I shall be scraping ther logo off the side of my windows once I get the car back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:34 pm 
998cc
998cc

I really like it.
Does it belong to Fruity,he's thinking of selling his and Maitlands horribly close to Newcastle. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:36 pm 
848cc
848cc

I think fruity may be female :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:48 pm 
Yay For Hay!

fruity IS female....

and budget for a seat retrim on that car as well... left rear trim isn't fitting properly from the pics

judging by the shadows, I'd say he took the pics early in the morning - all cars loog good in the morning light, so I'd bet the paintwork is crapola. There should be a lot more gloss on the front mudguards in the pic of the front of it... (left pic, 2nd row). The windscreen is clean, so the dull paint isn't caused by morning dew

just my $0.02

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:49 pm 
998cc
998cc

My appologies.................... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:42 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

yea, paint looks ordinary....trim looks like it is $10 vinyl paint special. Drivers seat is torn.

I can't stand ripped seats.... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:53 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

It ain't fruity's...

Hers in the backyard covered in tarps :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:22 pm 
848cc
848cc

Yeah, I'm goin to try get out there and see the car.. haha yeh I noticed the rip in the seat, that's alright. I'm sure that won't be a MAJOR job to fix. How much would a respray cost considering the body work is apparently in good condition? If I did the prep work (stripping the paint I guess) would it cost much to get a respray?

So friuty I heard you were thinking of selling a mini? :o