Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:03 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Mini SS
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:18 pm 
848cc
848cc

I have a Mini SS, very rusty but mostly complete.

I know there was only 500 made but just how rare are they now?

I'm thinking of using all the SS bits on another project.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Rod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:33 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Why hello Rod,

My name is Alex, or knob, or whatever :lol:

I too have an SS. They are getting very rare cos so many people used them for their nicer trim and other parts. If you go thru everything on this forum you will find that there are dozens of people who've cut em up.
At a really really wild guess, I'd say that of the original 500 there is probably only 200ish left due to rust (like yours) and scrappers.

They pop up from time to time but they are pretty rare. A fake one went on ebay a couple of months back for $8500!!!! Totally unreal hey?

Its your car, I'm not going to tell you what to do with it. I'd like to think you might swap some one who wants to restore it in exchange for a donner car that better suits your needs but hey, who am I to give a damn.

Cheerio

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:35 pm 
Bloody Rare, FIX IT :D What color do you have Brown or Blue? If you reshell it wont be the same car :( If you want to sell PM me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:39 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Quote:
of the original 500 there is probably only 200ish left

That's an interesting figure Alex. What do you base it on?

While researching extensively over the years I managed to find less than a dozen. Two owned by one person in Adelaide. Another in Adelaide. Two in Melbourne, one in Geelong area, and one in Queensland. Over the past few months a few people have come onto ausmini with them - there's another three or four.

So, where are the other 190 or so hiding?

Cheers,
Watto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:48 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

My shed watto... Just kidding.

Like I said, its just a very very wild guess. I have seen about 4 come up on sleezbay in the last 2 years. I have one, Rod has one, the three you know of, there is another member on here I've been chatting with who has one... thats 6...

Ok you caught me out, I just didn't want to look like I was talking up my SS to much. There are always plenty of people willing to crap on about how rare their car is, i just didn't want to look like another knob!

EDIT: shivvers watto, I gotta get my eyes checked out, sorry you mentiond more than 3, its 1:00am in sydney, thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:31 am 
1275cc
1275cc

i have the doors of one that was broken up a few years ago (excessive lightness) :( so that is another one gone to god

Post subject: Mini SS
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:02 am 
848cc
848cc

I can report that there is still one brown Mini SS residing in the NSW Southern Highlands. I sighted it in Bowral recently. From my local knowledge, it may still be a one owner as it is still wearing its personalised number plate ANN-XXX which it has worn for many years. It appears to be in excellent, original order.

Regards, Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:49 am 
1275cc
1275cc

There was an SS in my street in Sydney when I was a kid. It was blue and starting to get little rusty around the seams. One day in about 1987 or 88 I went past and noticed it had been in a crash, damaging the front panel, bonnet and both front guards. It sat there for a few weeks and then disappeared. I guess it went to the great scrapyard in the sky. :(

1966 Austin Mini
1965 Morris Mini Traveller
1973 LR Series 3 88
2007 LR Freelander 2

Post subject: SS
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:35 am 
848cc
848cc

For what is worth, I have a rusty SS, and those that have seen the pictures will back me up in saying that the car is more rust than metal, and I am still considering restoring it as the SS is my fav mini . In the end, if you love the car for what it is and you have the time, money and know how (or know someone who does) and you want to bring back what is IMO a cool 8) mini then go for it. However, like I have done recently, you have to decide if it is worth the cold hard $$$$ to restore it.
I love the SS and from what I can see there are very few left in Aus and certainly very few that are in good running order, so I say go for it if you can!!
PS I feel like I should be the president of the SS mini fan club!! :oops: :oops:

1976 Mini SS
1971 Mini Ute (Custom) - really hubby's but I will claim half :)
1976 Mini SS Shell
Oh and an 850 shell waiting for our dear son to start his resto!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:06 pm 
998cc
998cc

Mate, my 1970 Cooper S was a complete mess. Rust everywhere, dings and slams front, rear and the sides. It was by anyone's reckoning ready to be a donor and then scrap.

Then I got to thinking that if everyone trashed them 'cos of that there would be very few GENUINE ones left. I am nearly 2 years down the track re-building this 'moneypit' but at least it will be a real one and not a bitsa.

My advice? take your time and keep a real car on the road.
If you can't do that, find a dill like me and let them do it and get another project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:52 pm 
I owned a Metallic Nutmeg SS years ago, but rust got to her, she was cut up by 2 old blokes for a golf buggy in 1993 :cry: I still miss that car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:01 pm 
848cc
848cc

Well my mate acquired a blue ss 2 weeks back. Sadly this one has become like a flinstones car and apart from the front apron panels, thefruit under the bonnet ( including an actual cooper s 1275 engine ) the rest is cactus. Very very structural rust. It was a fair bit lighter after the trailer ride home. It spent 10 years out in the open in port hedland, too
Much salt spray I guess. Pictures showed it was an awsome looking car in great condition 15 yrs back. Shame.

Thankfully I get to score a few goodies suchas the front apron, radiator plus a second frontgrill radiator, 16 row oil cooler, engine steady bracket.

But another ss bites the dust :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:09 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Yeah,, I know I said its really not my place to tell you what to do with your car.... But it seems like it would be a shame to loose another SS... It's seems like there are a lot of people who recon you should

1. restore it yourself
2. Sell it
3. See if some one wants to swap you for, a better and more deserving doner...

I'd make you an offer but I've already got 8 mini's that don't get driven enough... Come on someone out there has gotta be an impulse buyer.. Do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it doughnut do it do it do it do it... Say all you impulse buyers you know what would look really good in your shed... AN SS!

(can't say I'm not trying for you here!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:12 pm 
Id buy it, hell i just bought a 1275LS on impulse, one more wont hurt :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:14 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

sold to the man/cat with the guns!!!!

Congratulations :D :D :D :D