Ausmini
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 12:31 am 
1098cc
1098cc

Arent worn syncros a very usual problem in a mini, there are heaps of them out there with sticks vibratiing in 3 and whining in 2nd - you just gotta learn how to toe-in-heel down shift and 3rd to 2nd is easy. It can last for many ears - just depends on how you come to deal with it.

Rebuilding a box would cost you around $1000 just in parts plus labour . But with s'hand gearboxes its much easier to see if its stuffed - there is a discernible physical wear and it can be examined when the box is off. BTW if youre getting a 1275 engine (even if its the non Cooper ones - ie 1275LS \ Marina etc) even with fairly basic tuning you'd feel that the standard gear ratios are too low and your 1st and 2nd are of not much use anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 12:17 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

a friend recond an engine from a close friend for $650. that was a mate's thing.

i got quotes of $1300

i say if the gearbox is the only prob then fix it. if pretty much everything is worn, get another engine. you can probably find a good recond engine for about $2000

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 5:36 pm 
998cc
998cc

1200 for a 1275?????? DAMN, gimme his number. I coulda bought three of em for the price that was paid for mine.