Ausmini
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 3:20 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: quieter grinding?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:48 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

So the neighbors called the cops on me tonight while I was working on the mini.

http://zizzle.blogspot.com/2005/03/visit-from-boys-in-blue_30.html

The thing that shits me is that I live on a busy highway, so it's not like you can hear the birds singing anyway or the waves breaking anyway. And there is a massive construction site right across the road. This is not a quiet little back street in the 'burbs. Or place for the noise sensitive.

And would you call the cops the very first time your neighbor makes a racket? Not I. It's not like I've been doing this for weeks (or even days) on end.

Anyway, the noise of the angle grinder seems to be the main problem.

So I was wondering is there any alternative to the grinder? Would an air powered one be any less noisy? Heh, they'd probably complain about the compressor noise even if it was.

Post subject: Re: quieter grinding?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:00 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Zizzle wrote:
Can't imagine it was well spent tax payer money. I bet some poor bugger was getting their house broken into as we spoke.

And I bet the same bloody neighbor won't bother to call the cops when some bastard is ransacking the garage and making away with my tools & stuff

hahhaha soo true. You're neighbours must be similar to mine...complaining about everything...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:53 am 
1098cc
1098cc

id go have a word with them thats crap

i think and air powered tool would be noiseier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:59 am 
1360cc
1360cc

i'd just TP their house hehehe 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:00 pm 
848cc
848cc

At 7pm? :? I thought they could only complain about noise if it was after 9 or 9:30 or something? might just be tassie though

Atleast you didnt get im much trouble :wink:

'Topher

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:06 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Very ordinary zizzle................ 10pm you can make noise until, although i'm not sure whether your work constitutes a building site :? , in which case 7pm is the cut off..................... still very shitty though mate, i would just continue on. What time did you start grinding????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:32 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Air powered tools are noisier.
Just get one of those chainsaw engined grinders for a while, then they'll be beggin you to use the electric one again! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:41 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

We have a neibour who complains about noise during the middle of they day from kids next door to us, when we live closer and haven't heard a peep from them! :roll:

Some people just want to cause problems as they think it's their right to do so!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:43 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Solution: next xmas, send them a box of 4-5 ear muffs. The orange type that council road workers use :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:43 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

I got home at about 5:30pm, so wasn't out there for hours on end.

I understand the jokes, but will not be doing anything to aggravate this further.

I might do some work with the door closed tonight, but I'm worried about the fumes and stuff that come off when your grinding and welding around paint and rust. I've got a dual filter respirator mask, but I reckon you still need good ventilation. The respirator wont fit under the welding helmet.

But I want to make the most out of this motivation streak I'm on (mini muster in June you say? :D ) and while there are no other pressing demands on my time, besides work of course. Make hay while the sun shines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:51 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Go talk to the neighbours, maybe you can compromise on a time or length of time to do your work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:37 pm 
848cc
848cc

I had a similar problem where I was sanding the car ready for painting but at least my next door neighbour had the descency to lean over the fence and ask me nicely.

:( I would talk to the neighbours and see if there are any times when they will be out that you can go to town on the mini, it is much better to be diplomatic :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:57 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

I would love to. But I have no idea who it would be.

I have a two blocks of units across the road, another duplex on one side, a house on the other and units behind. Could be any one of about 20 households.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:01 pm 
Yay For Hay!

my neighbour and I used to have noise making competitions - we were both angle grinder happy.... new neighbours don't complain about it - I know one of them sleeps in the room right next to my garage, I asked her one day if she heard it, she said "yeah, but I went to sleep OK.." I don't get complaints - I keep the door shut, should probably wear a mask.. I try not to grind after 9pm, but sometimes I've gotta get jobs done

however I call the cops if someone is having a party - 2 houses down the parents went away one week, I had the cops there basically every night, said I smelled some pot and they sent 2 cars!

I asked the cops what the rule is - they said if I can hear it from any room in my house then it's too loud