Ausmini
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:21 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:54 pm 
848cc
848cc

drmini in aust wrote:
On earlier ones the main mechanical difference is the front subframe is solid mounted for better steering response.

Any idea why they ditched that design on the later ones??

Quote:
In Oz the roundnose Minis ceased production in 1971, we then got only Clubbies until the bitter end in 1978.
Mokes were built until 1981-2.

Clubbies are better yeah?? they come with 1275 motors standard?? I think mine is a round nose one. What are Mokes?? What is the difference between Mayfair minis & Leyland mini's etc?? how many types are there?? Mines a Leyland, where might it have come from?? They have mini's in Japan yeah?? What's up with the seams?? I think mine has all external seams, are they all like that??

Sorry about all the questions but this is the 1st mini forum I have found were lots of people know heaps :)

Cheers
KiwiMR2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:06 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Welcome KiwiMR2.

OK,
Seams were part of the mini design that never went away, unless you go to the trouble to do so.
Leyland was the manufacturer of the minis, a Mayfair is a model like a cooper or deluxe.
None of the Australian cars were Mayfairs.
The subframe mount was changed to make the inside of the car quieter and have less vibrations when the car is moving.
Mokes are the little cars that resemble minis in size, but have no roof, doors or much else, except the same a-series engine.
Out of clubbies and roundies, none are "better", they are mechanically the same except for the door catch. 1275's were only standard on the GT and LS models.
Hope this helps.
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:11 pm 
religious status
religious status

For Oz Mini history, go to http://www.miniauto.com.au/home.htm
and click on Mini.. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:15 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

KiwiMR2 wrote:
Clubbies are better yeah??

Hahaha no... lookout, that is a whole other can of worms. It's all personal preference.

Sure some parts were upgraded over the years but not always for the better (remote change -> rod change gearboxes for example). The running gear is all pretty much the same. Pollution control gear can be hassle if you have a post '76 (?) car, in Aus atleast.

There are plenty of mini history pages around. Some are even written by ausmini members.

http://www.miniman.com.au/minihist3.htm
http://www.ozcooper.com.au/A_Mini_History.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:18 pm 
848cc
848cc

Indeed it does :) Thanks.

Quote:
Seams were part of the mini design that never went away, unless you go to the trouble to do so.

Were there any models and years that had more or less seams than others??

Quote:
a-series engine

This intrests me. The so-called mini expert that is supposedly repairing my one at the moment made a comment when it was 1st dropped off to him (neighbor who started and repair and couldn't finish it gave it to him) Anyway he said the mecanic said to him it had a "group a motor" which is a little bit rare (maybe here in NZ) and really quite good, what is the story here?? I know mine is a 998cc motor but what is this a-series??

Is there anywhere in Australia that sells the Angel Eye replacement headlights?? Or a grille similar to this:

Actually these look similar yeah??

http://www.minispares.co.nz/proddetail. ... 2DC&cat=14

I assume this would be direct repalcement for mine??

I can get these here in NZ:

Will they fit my MK4??

Cheers
KiwiMR2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:28 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

You have a MK4? That would be either african, japanese or british built, where there were subtile differences in and out.
Every mini had the same seams in the same places at the start of its life.
A-series basically means the engine layout/type. In a mini, the gearbox is also the engine sump, where as most other cars keep them separate.
The parts you asked about could be ordered through somewhere, might prove expensive though. And those lights should fit, as they weren't changed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:35 pm 
Yay For Hay!

Harley wrote:
You have a MK4? That would be either african, japanese or british built, where there were subtile differences in and out.
Every mini had the same seams in the same places at the start of its life.
A-series basically means the engine layout/type. In a mini, the gearbox is also the engine sump, where as most other cars keep them separate.
The parts you asked about could be ordered through somewhere, might prove expensive though. And those lights should fit, as they weren't changed.

careful Harley, no such thing as a japanese built mini, they took the british produced cars - don't go spreading rumors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:35 pm 
848cc
848cc

Quote:
You have a MK4?

I think, 82 is MK4 yeah?

Quote:
That would be either african, japanese or british built, where there were subtile differences in and out.

Cool, is there any markings or chassis plate numbers etc. that could tell me it's origin?

Quote:

Oh ok, when you say "other" cars you mean other models of mini or other makes of cars??

Quote:

Any recomendations on Aussie Mini parts shops??

Thanks for answering all my questions 8)

Cheers
KiwiMR2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:39 pm 
religious status
religious status

For a Mk4 Mini it would be easiest to source your parts in NZ, as they were never sold here. Some later Rovers have been brought in since, but a Mk4 here is rare as rocking horse manure.. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:40 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

skssgn wrote:
careful Harley, no such thing as a japanese built mini, they took the british produced cars - don't go spreading rumors

Really, why did they have different specs then in the 90's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:43 pm 
848cc
848cc

drmini in aust wrote:
For a Mk4 Mini it would be easiest to source your parts in NZ, as they were never sold here. Some later Rovers have been brought in since, but a Mk4 here is rare as rocking horse manure.. :wink:

Ahhh yeah, duh....I should have worked that out, you already told me you don't get them there.

Seen heaps of good stuff in the UK but damn there prices are expensive :(

Cheers
KiwiMR2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:45 pm 
religious status
religious status

Harley wrote:
skssgn wrote:

Really, why did they have different specs then in the 90's?

Because they asked for it- A/C, etc. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:49 pm 
848cc
848cc

Whats the story with wheels?? What are the OEM sizes and what is the MAX I can fit without mods?? I think Iv'e seen 12's and 13's advertised. These don't have springs as such aye?? do they need lowering or do bigger rims fill the gaurds more?? and stick out more giving an excuse for those flares 8)

Cheers
KiwiMR2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:01 pm 
Yay For Hay!

KiwiMR2 wrote:
Whats the story with wheels?? What are the OEM sizes and what is the MAX I can fit without mods?? I think Iv'e seen 12's and 13's advertised. These don't have springs as such aye?? do they need lowering or do bigger rims fill the gaurds more?? and stick out more giving an excuse for those flares 8)

Cheers
KiwiMR2

10" x 4.5" were standard on basically all minis, very early ones (not yours) were 3.5" wide. A couple of model clubmans (probably not sold in NZ) had 12" x 4.5". After 1984, 8.4" disk brakes became standard on the english production minis, and they came with 12" wheels. The last few years of production (up till October 2000) they had a model with 13" wheels (usually called 'sportspack' cars). 12" is the biggest you can go without mods, 13" can be done but you've gotta cut the front of the mudguards - not much, but a bit of work...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:17 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

KiwiMR2 wrote:
Quote:

Oh ok, when you say "other" cars you mean other models of mini or other makes of cars??

other means lots and lots of "other" - 99 other cars from a large variety of manufactures and their different models were fitted with the A-series engine.

A great resource to look into the engine history of the BMC A-series can be found here http://www.motorbase.com/engine/by-id/1

That site is also useful to look up the larger BMC engines, the B-series and the E-series.

Have fun
Cheers Dat