Ausmini
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:51 pm 
848cc
848cc

You know how they made the limited edition coopers in the nineties. I learnt that these had diffeent gearboxes that apparently make the engine go a little harder. Is this true? iv'e seen pictures and they look different from the outside. Is the engine built differently?
I was thinking of gettin a rebuilt later model engine and gearbox for my clubbie later on, maybe a few years, would it be worth it or should I just get a rebuilt 1275 Gt motor and gearbox.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:58 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Hey? late model? how late? 2000?

I think the SPI (single point injection) and MPI (multi) minis were all still rod change boxes weren't they? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:03 pm 
848cc
848cc

Im not sure, i think they were late 90's but I can't find any info on them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:06 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Don't know about later boxes going harder. The A+ boxes are stronger, but sap a bit more power because they have more of a helical cut on the gears to make them quiet. Me, I like the straight cut variety, especially drop gears!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:47 pm 
ET 13.457 seconds , OH YEAH !!!!

snowie wrote:
You know how they made the limited edition coopers in the nineties. I learnt that these had diffeent gearboxes that apparently make the engine go a little harder. Is this true? iv'e seen pictures and they look different from the outside. Is the engine built differently?
I was thinking of gettin a rebuilt later model engine and gearbox for my clubbie later on, maybe a few years, would it be worth it or should I just get a rebuilt 1275 Gt motor and gearbox.

A+ BLOCK may be a little stronger (it has a webbed cast to limit flexing), but then there's always the 1100S block ;)

IMO the A+ motor is highly over-rated...especially in fuel injection guise. Give me a rip-snorting dellorto any day :wink:

A 1275GT motor, which is just an S block will have alot more potential for power than a later fuel injected motor.

There was a 5spd 'box, but these couldn't handle even stock power and had alot of problems..

<edit> The only thing gearbox wise that will make a significant difference is the diff. ratio. Get a 3.647 diff and it will accelerate harder ;)